Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

02 v11 runs

Discussion in 'Spine' started by Dolittle, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Dolittle

Dolittle Just got it firing!

Hi
    I bought a 02 v 11 naked and got it in shape to ride. It runs ok but what should I look for that would leave me stoped on the road ? Also if the fuel tank hits the body when you install it is it swelled because of the ethnol ? And is there anything I can do about it .
    Thanks Dolittle ;)

2. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Tank swell is a sticky subject. It is something some plastic tanks do. It seems to be the plastic the tank is made from reacting with something or somethings in the fuel. Is it ethanol? I have heard many people say it is but I have seen little actual proof that it is. Around here we have been using ethanol in our fuel for a very long time, but tank swell issues seem rather new. I have my doubts.
    But what ever it is that is causing it is likely in the fuel and so sealing the inside of the tank should stop it. That requires fully drying out the tank and applying something like Casewell epoxy tank sealer. Prep is key, you must thoroughly clean the inside of the tank and scuff it to promote adhesion.
    Another option, more grey, is to use a fuel conditioner/stabilizer like Startron or Stabil ethanol version.

As for the other question, what to watch for....
    Many have had issue with the relays and their sockets. Bad relays or poor connections to them will cause the bike to not run.
    Weak charging systems due to Italians poor understanding of electricity is another. Making sure the regulator is well grounded and improving the connections helps. There are plenty of others, but I do not want to imply that they are not incredibly reliable. They are, but in classic Italian style the details are often not quite right. Most of the issues are minor unless they are allowed to get out of hand.

3. fotoguzzi

fotoguzzi Tuned and Synch'ed

the frame can rub a hole right thru the tank, right side of steering head, get something in there to keep it from rubbing on that exposed end of frame tube.