• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

07 Griso Dyno run-pathetic, rich, 132mph

scbikerdude

Just got it firing!
OK, peer pressure got me to put it on the dyno. I really didn't care, I know it's not a rocket. But 69rwhp and 49ft-lbs is much lower than I expected. I know results can vary dyno to dyno, etc, but c'mon! It sure feels faster than that. I had an FZ1 that dynoed at 125rwhp and 74 ft=lbs and it wasn't that much faster (well, yes it was, but still!). They did tell me the ratio was rich (and you could smell it), that you want it around 14.1 and mine was not. So, evidently I have a place for improvement. For those of you that care:
It was a Mustang dyno
HP and TQ numbers were checked in 3rd gear
also, did a top speed run, and it said 132 mph. This may be exaggerated, since there is no wind resistance. He didn't want to do a 1/4 mile run (they have a christmas tree set up) because of the dry clutch, didn't want to burn it up (I guess because of the loading on the big drum under the rear wheel).

The good news is the speedometer is accurate!

Still like the bike, would like more power (of course, I can never have too much), but I know it is not financially possible for me right now and probably not feasible either.
Gary

All modern bikes are rich at the top end. It's to save us from ourselves.

In this case the problem may be axacerbated by the engine temperature sensor giving a false reading. Try packing it with som sort of themal paste and see what happens.

Also has it ever been tuned? All the 'Pushrod' models with the W5AM computer, (Or whatever it is, I can never remenber.) come from the factory with the TPS set at about 3.4-3.8 degrees whereas it should be 4.6.

A decent 1100 Griso should make about 76-77 RWHP. You're down.

Pete

14.1 is way lean for an air cooled motor. Due to cooling restrictions, we are forced to run these engines rich. I have mine set to 12.3 around the map, with 12.1 for accelerating and 12.5 for low throttle cruise. Runs great.

Having seen a few dyno graphs around here, these seem to make about 70 when bone stock, about 75 or so with an aftermarket can, about 77 or so after fueling corrections (the least of which is at the top end btw.)

No, it has never been tuned. I am kind of alone, where I live. I have not seen another Griso in town and mayne only one other MG. The closest dealer is 6 hours or so away, so luckily the engine is easily accesible. Just can't afford right now to buy a lot of tools/diagnostic equip or anything for the bike that is not related to keeping it roadworthy. Hopefully the job market will change soon, and I can get it to run to its max. Thanks for the input.

Unless Andrew/SpaceClam changed his AFR's, I set/map bikes to 13.2, 13.0 @full throttle. This is the best based on immense dyno time for power and engine cooling.

OK I see now on the chart the AFR was 11.1 min, 12.4 max, and 11.6 average. I do have a mistral can on it, I dont think the previous owner did anything other than change out the slipon. Maybe one day Im bored I can stick the stock can on and see if it makes a difference.

scbikerdude said:
OK I see now on the chart the AFR was 11.1 min, 12.4 max, and 11.6 average. I do have a mistral can on it, I dont think the previous owner did anything other than change out the slipon. Maybe one day Im bored I can stick the stock can on and see if it makes a difference.
That's (potentially damaging) rich. Something's not right. Has the TPS been checked and/or reset? Is there a FatDuc or other means of fuel manipulation in place?

Todd, my mistake. Take every number i stated, and then add 1.

I have dicked with my AFR a little bit based upon feel for my engine.

scbikerdude said:
OK I see now on the chart the AFR was 11.1 min, 12.4 max, and 11.6 average.

In theory most power is at 12.65 for steady conditions and practically around 13 as a bit leaner revs a bit faster.
Anything richer and you loose power and throw away good fuel.
So you are already too rich.

scbikerdude said:
It was a Mustang dyno
For both bikes you mention? (So numbers can be compared)

Mustangs are brake dynos, aren't they?
If so then for rwhp the rear tyre slip should be evaluated or else the numbers will be a little lower than real
BUT
numbers will be pretty lower than registered on a DJ dyno for various reasons related to DJ setup following their own logic.
(rough guide posted by FactoryPro here: http://www.factorypro.com/dyno/true1.html )

If the run was done in inertial mode then the only way to evaluate the numbers you got is to look after other inertial dyno runs of Guzzis on Mustang dynos.
Do not compare absolute numbers from other dynos - only curves.

scbikerdude said:
No, it has never been tuned. I am kind of alone, where I live. I have not seen another Griso in town and mayne only one other MG. The closest dealer is 6 hours or so away, so luckily the engine is easily accesible. Just can't afford right now to buy a lot of tools/diagnostic equip or anything for the bike that is not related to keeping it roadworthy. Hopefully the job market will change soon, and I can get it to run to its max. Thanks for the input.

The dealer in Hendersonville NC may be your best bet. That is unless you locate someone in NC with VDSTS. Of course you could buy your own copy of VDSTS (Todd the administrator of the forum sells them) and do it yourself.

I've been to the one in Hendersonville, I thought I remember him telling me he was going to drop MG. The dealer I was referring to is in Dahlonega, they seem more serious about them. Here's a link to the place where I dynoed it. They have bay and tool rentals, as well. http://diymotorsports.com/features.html
g

Back