• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

08 Norge clunk feeling in fork when compressed

Dycokac

Tuned and Synch'ed
So, I've gotten used to the nose dive. But I'll occasionally have this clunking sensation that and to come from the left side maybe more than the right.

Any suggestion to what that might be?

Thanks!

A few things come to mind:
- Steering head bearings (out there but you never know);
- Loose caliper (assume while braking);
- Loose/worn brake pads;
- Junk on fork sliders (clean fork seals);
- Fork leg and contents are failing;

The first 4 are easy to check, the 5th requires major disassembly of the front suspension and maybe a guru to look at it.

I have to figure out what I'm checking for, but the bike needs a wash and this is a long weekend so I'm going to see about taking off the front Tupperware. I know there are some loose wires in the fairing... and i have to replace a chrome accent too.

I'm wondering was there a solution found for this? I have what sounds like the same issue, i.e. one clunk when I brake reasonably hard and then a smooth stop. If it was head bearings or wear somewhere I thought it should result in a shudder rather than one clunk. My caliper bolts are tight so I think it could just be the pads moving to take up that fraction of clearance in their space. I imagine I feel it more in my right hand, but I think that's because I.m squeezing on that side. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.
Brian

I'm wondering was there a solution found for this? I have what sounds like the same issue, i.e. one clunk when I brake reasonably hard and then a smooth stop. If it was head bearings or wear somewhere I thought it should result in a shudder rather than one clunk. My caliper bolts are tight so I think it could just be the pads moving to take up that fraction of clearance in their space. I imagine I feel it more in my right hand, but I think that's because I.m squeezing on that side. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.
Brian

Have you adjusted the preload on the springs? With the bike on the center stand, turn the nuts at the top of the fork all the way in. Then count 7 rotations out. This should get you in the ball bark. If still too soft, go in one rotation at a time. If too stiff, out one rotation at a time. Yes head bearing would give a shudder.

Have you adjusted the preload on the springs? With the bike on the center stand, turn the nuts at the top of the fork all the way in. Then count 7 rotations out. This should get you in the ball bark. If still too soft, go in one rotation at a time. If too stiff, out one rotation at a time. Yes head bearing would give a shudder.
Thanks for the reply John.
I'm just back from a trip to the pyrenees and I'm happy with my suspension settings, but I still get one clunk from somewhere up front when I initially apply the front brake hard.
Baffled.

Brian

Reactions: NPS
I have a clunk on my B11 when going over a big bump and the suspension is max extension. No idea what it is. Could it be the front suspension hitting max travel?

I'm pretty sure that my clunk happens before my forks would have the time to reach maximum travel, and I don't think they are doing that anyway. I'll do a bit more investigation when I get the chance. I always lightly grease the upper sections of the fork legs to prevent corrosion in that area, so I can see the maximum travel of my forks. I'll let them out fully and compare the distance with the specified max travel of 120 mm. I'm going to get to the bottom of this, pardon the pun.

Brian

Reactions: NPS
I'm aware that the clunk I experience travels as a shock wave and is amplified/heard at the top end area of the folks. Due to the headlamp case that acts like a sound amplifier.

I went over some rough ground and clunk clunk... I had a guess the mudguard was amplifying the sound of the wheel over the rough ground. I removed the mudguard and made up some fibre glass strips and resin. Coated in a single coat the inside surface of the mudguard to test. Resin went off and hardened. Reinstalled and test ride. The clonk was reduced and only apparent on the deepest of ruts/holes. The extra fibre glass strips in resin bonded inside the mudguard has reduced the vibration/amplification of the mudguard. More adjustment possible at low cost and within tyre guard distance.

But Is the clunk caused by something else regarding the function of the fork and damper. Further investigation required.

Anyone ever had a rear brake caliper fall off while riding? I was on a short ride, and bang and clang and scrapping was heard. Less than a minute from home, trundled on to house. Park the bike, no warning lights, no fluids dripping...but the rear caliper wrapped around the kickstand. I'm having a terrible time accepting vibration as the cause. Bike has 7K miles on it. Completely unsettled me going into the new season.

Back