• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

08 Norge - Particles in oil

U4REHAN

Just got it firing!
Hello,
I just completed my first oil change on the Norge and had a question.
The drain plug had no metallic particles on the magnet but there were some particles in the oil pan.
I will be doing the valve adjustment and hope the second change will look better.

Bike has around 28,000 miles and previous owner said oil was changed.
Oil looked fresh on the stick so I took his word for it.
I put around 900 miles on it since purchase.
There was minimal valvetrain noise during that time.

Should I be concerned about the particles?
There seems to be too many in the pan for a 28k bike.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• 20201229_120901.jpg
    20201229_120901.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20201229_120934.jpg
    20201229_120934.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 20201229_121121.jpg
    20201229_121121.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 53
Like John said magnet will say it's not good. Drop the pan, clean it out, clean the little screens on pick ups. That may surprise you, I've seen lots of junk in there, non metallic.

Thank you everyone for the information.
Hello John,
I used a magnet I had available and stirred it in the leftover pan oil.
I could not tell if the particles were magnetic or just adhered to the magnet because of the oil thickness.
I will use a stronger magnet and investigate the remains further..

Hello Kiwi,
Hello V700Steve,
I was not aware that the pan could be dropped so easily.
If magnetic, i will drop pan and check inside.
If not, i will wait for the next oil change an do so.
That filter was a pain.

Thank you again.

Hello John,
I did lubricate the seal with fresh oil but did not torque with a wrench.
The old and new filters were both UFI but has different pattern on bottom to attach socket.
I was able to get a good grip using sandpaper between the socket and the filter so i am confident with the install.
I never torqued my filters but usually went by "feel".

I Think i will look for a self tightening 3 prong filter wrench that would fit between the case and edge of filter.
A torque wrench may not be a bad idea either.

Hello John,
I did lubricate the seal with fresh oil but did not torque with a wrench.
The old and new filters were both UFI but has different pattern on bottom to attach socket.
I was able to get a good grip using sandpaper between the socket and the filter so i am confident with the install.
I never torqued my filters but usually went by "feel".

I Think i will look for a self tightening 3 prong filter wrench that would fit between the case and edge of filter.
A torque wrench may not be a bad idea either.

One like this https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Ad...W1CFXVQSHB6&psc=1&refRID=PFX8ZNY3ZW1CFXVQSHB6 should be good for removal. I use the regular cup type to install. The 15 Nm was recommended to me by a Moto Guzzi service rep.

Back