• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1.5 hrs for break-in service on V7 Racer..?

Maj Steve Trevor

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
What do you all think, can a full break in service be done in 1.5 hours? I took my 2015 V7 Racer in for it's first service, and when I picked it up the service manager said the total was $285. I said, "hmm that's not bad, can you give me a run down of everything you did?" He said sure, "full service, valve adjustment, fluids.." I asked if they re-torqued the cylinder heads, and he answered yes.

Now, I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but it just seems to me unlikely that a full break in service could be done in only an hour and half. Am I wrong..?

The break-in service is essentially a full service. And yes: A good, efficient mechanic can do it in an hour and a half, two hours tops, presuming the bike doesn't need to cool down. When I was doing all my own maintenance, I could do it in about the same time on an 850T or LeMans V... same work, nothing different other than adjust the carburetors if they need it. :)

Sounds about right... 2.5 hours for me and that includes the first service plus replacing the fuel filter inside the gas tank (which I assume took about an hour). I gave the mechanic my checklist from the manual, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he went through everything one by one.

Sounds like you got a great deal! What dealer was that?

The Service Manual for a v7 iii says the first service is 100 minutes of labor, figure a v7 ii would be a bit more for the head re-torque.

Seems my dealer rounded up, and quoted some special fairy dust as I was quoted ~$540 for the first service!

What Godfrey said about cool down.

When did you drop off; when did they say it was ready?

I am one of those "trust, but verify" sort of folks. If I had any doubts about a dealer's service department, I might leave a "reverse witness mark" on an appropriate fastener to see if it was touched. ;)

Bill

It’s Lamoto in Arlington VA. I suppose I am inclined to wonder a bit — they just had a complete turnover in sales and service, apparently at the behest of aprilia. I Scheduled a service for Friday, and they didn’t actually get to it until Tuesday. And not great about communicating. I understand they are understaffed and probably just getting the shop organized, but it does make me wonder about the possibility of a rushed job, trying to catch up on work.

I had the first (1,000km) service on my 2016 V7 II Racer done 2 days ago. The shop charged me for 4 hours labour, telling me that it was nearer 5 hours. Total cost $611 Australian. From all accounts this is about 2 hours too long. The valve clearances were all within tolerance so there was no messing with them either. Thoughts appreciated??? Thanks.

I had the first (1,000km) service on my 2016 V7 II Racer done 2 days ago. The shop charged me for 4 hours labour, telling me that it was nearer 5 hours. Total cost $611 Australian. From all accounts this is about 2 hours too long. The valve clearances were all within tolerance so there was no messing with them either. Thoughts appreciated??? Thanks.

A full first service on a V7II Racer would have included retorquing the head and setting the valves whether they needed it or not, because the composite gasket used on these engines up to the V7III and V9 requires time to compress to its final 'break in' dimensions. Whenever the heads are retorqued, the valves must be set again.

The V7III and V9 have metal head gaskets that don't require retorquing the heads, which means that the valve adjustment is not disturbed and a simple valve clearance inspection is all that's required.

So that's a bit more time for the V7II service compared to the V7III. What else they do to bring the total out to four plus hours, I couldn't tell you.

When I had my V7II serviced back in 2015 it cost $250au and that included all oils heads retorqued and valve adjustment.
I can't believe they charged you $600 that's such a rip off.
Maybe they got your bike confused with the other Italian DUCATI ?

My local dealer told me 4 hours and 540dollars. Seems like a bit much. The valves are so easy to adjust. Oh well I want the dealers first service. The rest might just happen in my garage

My local dealer told me 4 hours and 540dollars. Seems like a bit much. The valves are so easy to adjust. Oh well I want the dealers first service. The rest might just happen in my garage
We are 2.5 hrs and we do above and we go far and beyond the basics based on the knowledge I have accumulated with working on dozens on these bikes, my rental fleet, and this Forum. We are also ~1/4 mile from the Surfliner train station at the Anaheim Stadium stop. Just a thought for you.

I just booked my first service for my 17 V7 III, and asked if they check the valves. They said they won't look at them unless they're ticking.
Ugh. If so, I hope they were done on the PDI for your sake... because it’s when they aren’t making noise is when it’s an issue.

Can't say I like the sound of that. I was planning to bring the bike in for its first service, and do the maintenance after that myself. I guess I'll be learning how to check and adjust the valves sooner than later.

Back