Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - We're offering FREE shipping on orders over $99 for U.S. customers now through Monday (11/30) midnight PST. Use COVID-20-FREE at checkout on the STORE tab above — Please support small business! We wish the best to everyone; Stay healthy and hope you can get out and ride! Also, see our Newsletter link in the General Chat section below.

1 of the Top 25 Motorcycles of the last 100 years !

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DeadEye, Oct 25, 2020.

1. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

From Rob Report -

1955 Moto Guzzi V8
    [​IMG]
    Photo : Photo: Courtesy of PJ Archives.
    Perhaps the most audacious motorcycle ever to see a Grand Prix start, the Moto Guzzi V8 was a technical tour de force by a company at the height of its powers. Moto Guzzi was the preeminent Italian racing manufacturer in the 1950s, and its 500 cc V8 was designed by Giulio Cesare Carcano and raced by famed riders such as Fergus Anderson, Stanley Woods, Dickie Dale and Ken Kavanagh, among others.

The bike was enormously powerful for the time, but its chassis, tire and brake technology was way behind. Two genuine examples exist today, located in the Moto Guzzi factory on the shores of Lake Como in Northern Italy. It raced for just three seasons (1955 through 1957), and is still regarded as one of the greatest of Grand Prix motorcycles.

From Wikipedia:
    The Discovery Channel ranked the Moto Guzzi Otto as one of the ten greatest motorbikes of all time.[2]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. Tonerjockey

Tonerjockey High Miler GT Contributor

Far out machine indeed! I'd really like to ride it... or even just hear it running.
    I can't image getting into a quartering headwind at top speed with that dustbin fairing. They're banned from racing for good reasons. I wanted to try one on my Guzzi at Bonneville but they're a no-no.
    Incredible machine though.
    ~Alex

3. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

There's a handful of videos on them running and racing. I've sat on and heard one run at the Guzzi factory in Mandello. One of the loudest machines you'll ever hear. There's many replicas as well from the folks that were involved in the original in and around Mandello. Virgil of Solvang has a replica. I was earmarked to race it when he first got it, but no one could get it sorted well enough to run and stay running to race. He displayed and rode it around the pits mid '00s at the Moto Classica event @ Willow Springs a few times.

4. DeadEye

DeadEye Cruisin' Guzzisti

As close as we’ll get
    Exhibition at the Île of Man

5. Raven

Raven High Miler GT Famiglia

"His pride and his bank balance sustained considerable amounts of damage."

6. jwtucker

jwtucker V11 Sport 4 Life

I've got one of the Stephen Handley lithographs on my den wall (next to a print that a local photographer did of my bike). That V8 is just an amazing bike!

__Jason IMG_9735.JPG

7. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I doubt I will ever get to see / hear one in person, but that Guzzi V8 is an amazing creation.
    I was lucky enough to see / here the Honda 250cc 6 cylinder GP bike run when racing in AHRMA. That things was amazing. I can only imagine how much more intense the Guzzi V8 is.