• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1000SPIII brake upgrade????

vij

Just got it firing!
Hello. I am Jocke. I am new here. I have been buying a 1000SPIII that I later will convert to a cafe racer but first I will run the bike this year just to get a feeling for it.

Here is the thing. The front brake sucks. I could not believe how bad it was. I thought that it was just due to the bike has been sitting for a long time so did many long and heavy brakes to "burn it clean". It did not matter how hay I was squeezing. I was not even remotely close to be able to lock up the front and the braking power never increased. I went home to have a look at it. Then I realized that the left caliper did not work at all. It was broken or was it?

HMMMMMMM. This looks strange. The left caliper does not go were I thought that it would go. Surprise. It goes to the rear.

It might be a good idea but I have been learning from riding motocross that the rear brake does nothing good at all when it comes to lower the speed. It is however a perfect tool to steer a dirtbike into corners.

As I am an old grumpy person that does not want to relearn I want to connect the left disc to the front pump. How to do? Do i need a new pump or is it okay to just get a new hose with a split on or just a split connection for the pump?

Next is the pads. I am using EBS HH on all my Ducatis (I have a few). I really like the. They have pads for 1000SPIII.

http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/supersearch.a ... odels&pg=2

Did any one try them? Do they improve things?

Jocke............

A stock SPIII has integrated brakes. To activate both front disks you use the hand and foot brake together. Also softer pads may improve the braking. The bike also came with rubber hoses which expand and get worse with age. Going to steel braided lines will help. I have a MkV LeMans which uses the same system and stopping is never an issue when you use the correct technique.

john zibell said:
A stock SPIII has integrated brakes. To activate both front disks you use the hand and foot brake together. Also softer pads may improve the braking. The bike also came with rubber hoses which expand and get worse with age. Going to steel braided lines will help. I have a MkV LeMans which uses the same system and stopping is never an issue when you use the correct technique.

I dont say that it is any thing wrong with the brakes. I just dont like the link. I can easily imagine what happens if I am riding my Guzzi for a few day and getting used to the system, then jump on one of my Ducatis. I will lock up the rear brake and fall of the first time i will touch the brake. I do believe that all bikes in my garage needs to have brake systems that operates in the same way. I am now talking from a safety point of view. Like I said earlier, it is nothing wrong with the brakes. I just want all my bikes to operate in the same way.

Jocke.........

If you only ride the Guzzi for the next 6 months ............................... you'll then want linked brakes on the Doocartees :lol:

De-linking the brakes is easily done, but you will likely need a larger bore master cylinder to move enough volume of fluid to pressurize the additional caliper.

That, and the needed hoses to plumb the system up and you should be good to go.

I would at least try the fronts de-linked with the original pump just to see if it feels ok to you. You should have a little more lever travel and a bit more mechanical advantage with the smaller bore pump. Only you can tell how it feels to you.

When I did mine (granted, it was a V50), I left the original rear master cylinder for the rear brakes and it worked just fine.

Once you get all of this together, be VERY certain of your setup.

After all, it is the brakes we are talking about.

Ride safe and WEAR YOUR GEAR !!

-Jack (in South Austin)

When I had my SPIII I had to have the annual MOT (safety) check done. The tester was almost thrown off the bike when he checked the front (RH) disc on the rollers. Braking efficiency was about 50%.
What can happen on those is that if laid up for a time, especially if damp, the disc does get quite a bit of rust over it. If this is not cleaned off completely, it does reduce braking efficiency, as the rust is a sort of lubricant. Don't just rely on the pads removing it.

Hello. I am Jocke. I am new here. I have been buying a 1000SPIII that I later will convert to a cafe racer but first I will run the bike this year just to get a feeling for it.

Here is the thing. The front brake sucks. I could not believe how bad it was. I thought that it was just due to the bike has been sitting for a long time so did many long and heavy brakes to "burn it clean". It did not matter how hay I was squeezing. I was not even remotely close to be able to lock up the front and the braking power never increased. I went home to have a look at it. Then I realized that the left caliper did not work at all. It was broken or was it?

HMMMMMMM. This looks strange. The left caliper does not go were I thought that it would go. Surprise. It goes to the rear.

It might be a good idea but I have been learning from riding motocross that the rear brake does nothing good at all when it comes to lower the speed. It is however a perfect tool to steer a dirtbike into corners.

As I am an old grumpy person that does not want to relearn I want to connect the left disc to the front pump. How to do? Do i need a new pump or is it okay to just get a new hose with a split on or just a split connection for the pump?

Next is the pads. I am using EBS HH on all my Ducatis (I have a few). I really like the. They have pads for 1000SPIII.

http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/supersearch.a ... odels&pg=2

Did any one try them? Do they improve things?

Jocke............

I have built a special based on a 1979 SP1000.I delinked the brakes and fitted a front master cylinder off a Japanese sports bike.The original brembo item is only designed to operate a single disc.I rebuilt the calipers and replaced the fluid.Also fitted stainless braided hoses to further improve efficiently.The front brake has awesome power.The rear brake had the P09 caliper and I replaced this for a P08 item as rebuild kits and pads are easier to source.The rear brake isn't as strong but passed the MOT with ease.

Back