• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1100 Sport i RAM Clutch

OldJock

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So the bike is a Magni but in essence all the running gear, engine, clutch & gearbox are Sport 1100i

I'm going to installing a RAM on this bike. I have one on the LM 1000 and I like them. I'm aware of the pitfalls.

Posting as a reference point for others who may be in the same boat as a later date.

Trying to get the RAM for a Sport i has been fruitless. The kits are just not available and haven't been for some years. RAMs for carbies are freely available.

I emailed Gordon at MG and he told me the difference between the kits is the injection bikes kits have short M6 cap bolts threaded into them to act as flywheel pickups for the injection trigger transducer and the carby RAM could be modified by the addition of these and good machine shop to copy the location from the original wheel onto the RAM.

Next my bike is a 99 which probably being a Magni has a 98 injection set up. These bikes do not have any flywheel triggers or transducers. The triggering must be taken off the Phonic wheel in the timing case.

So if you have an injection bike all is not lost do your homework and it all can be resolved

John

John,

Since the Sport I doesn't use the P8 ECU like the California series of that era use there is no flywheel sensor. So I think what you are trying to say is that for the Sport I, a non sensor flywheel can be used so it is no issue for converting to the RAM system. Is this a correct assumption?

Bang on John that's exactly what I was trying to say in my rather muddled way.

There must have been a bit of a cock up somewhere along the line as both Gordon at MG and Mandy at Stein Dinse had replied to me saying they did not have a suitable part for the injection but they did for the carb. Gordon also stated his info told him that the injection sport i's had the pickups on the flywheel.

Now its not quite written in stone yet as I'll only be 100% when I get one and try to install, but from what I've gleaned so far the difference is these cap screw pickups, which in actual fact don't exist on the bike.

No wonder Gordon told me there is no demand for them :lol:

John

Thanks for the post John, look forward to a follow up with pictures/details once you have one in hand and installed.

No Problem, all.

As an update I've ordered the RAM from Stein Dinse and its on the way. I would have liked to use MG as I like them and the service they provide or of course Todd here who has been nothing but helpful. However being on the wrong side of the pond HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) would have had their next Christmas party paid for by me personally.

When it arrives I'll dig out the original Flywheel/Basket Ring Gear etc: and photograph it all side by side for comparison and be able to post up a definitive answer to this little conundrum.

John

Good Grief nothing is ever easy or straightforward is it

I get told the RAM that Stein Dinse sell will not be suitable for a Sport i 1100 as its got no pickups on the flywheel. I tell them I don't need pickups the bike doesn't have them on the flywheel

So today they send me this

RAM-with-Pickups_zps20d8a740.jpg

You can see the pickups for a transducer in the form of cap head screws on the periphery of the flywheel

Now awaiting a reply, the bike is in bits right now so if I do not get anything sensible this will go back, and I'll try to get a regular RAM bigblock clutch to try that

John

Ok ordered a RAM for the 1100 Sporti. I'll post pics when it arrive although still muddled about the whole issue.

I was also doing some part number checking as the RAM is compatible with the injection but not the carb AND is also compatible with the Daytona.

So checking part numbers for the standard 2 plate clutch between 1100 sport carb, 1100 sport injection and Daytona reveals
All 3 have the same intermediate plate
Sport Carb & Daytona have the same friction plates but different pressure plate
Sport injection and Daytona have the same pressure plate but different friction plates

WTF is going on here, I just refuse to believe that these parts can be all that different

John

Hello John,
What's the problem with the RAM Stein-Dinse sent you ? Ok, it's got cap head screws you don't need but what stops you installing it ?
Any idea about the weight of this clutch ? My 1100 Sport i clutch weighs 5,350 gr, that is the total rotating mass, clutch, flywheel, starter ring, springs, bolts, the whole lot……
regards,
Paul

Back