• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1100 Sporti Conrod Orientation

OldJock

Cruisin' Guzzisti
So I asked this already on WG while this board was down, so apologies to all who frequent both boards. However I thought the scatter gun approach was worth a try

Stripping down an 1100 enigne and had difficulites getting of the big end cap bolts. Which I did get off but it ended in the rods dropping out before I had time to note the rod orientation

One side of the rods have a painted mark on them on the rod neck. One side of the big end caps have a number scribed on them and both sides are machined. The eminent Dr Roper (God Bless him) and Triple Jim suggested machined side to the right, but nothing conclusive so I was wondering if anybody on here has stripped one and definitively knows the answer about which way around is correct.

1100ConrdodOrientation5_zps74f888b3.jpg

Numbered side to the right showing the scribed numbers, note its machined

1100ConrdodOrientation6_zpsd4597511.jpg

Other side rods to the left, note it is also machined

1100ConrdodOrientation1_zps8bab2446.jpg

Rods held up as they would be in position in the crankcase, note the painted marks

Anybody help???

Many Thanks

John

The rods are perfectly symmetrical. To me it doesn't matter a hill of beans which side goes where so long as the rod and cap stay matched. The workshop manual makes no mention of orientation. http://guzzitek.org/gb/ma_us_uk/1100Spt ... _NL%29.pdf I'd say be consistent. You will be consistently right or wrong, but I don't think it makes much difference. On other vehicles I work on it does make a difference, but on this engine I'd say it doesn't.

Hi John- because I don't have a pair of that model's rods in front of me nor have I rebuilt one that new in a while, (I also own a Sporti) can you look on one rod upper if there is a small hole on one side, of the longer part (going up to the little end) that is just above the bolt hole? On older rods (which I have plenty of here) they have a hole that is drilled from the inner circumference of the big end up to the point I described above. What it does is uses crank oil pressure to spray oil up into the cylinder wall. If they have that hole, (which on older rods the factory matched with one machined side) goes to the right side of the motor.
If they don't have that hole, I would say the machined side with writing goes to the right- also if the orange paint dots go toward the front, when the machined side with writing is to the right, then more-so I would say that is correct. (for some reason I remember paint forward) And as John said above, the new manuals do not explain any of this, because it may not matter if there are no oiling holes.
You like the nice puzzle I just described? hahaha sorry I don't know how else to word it.

Thanks very much for the input guys, appreciated.

As JZ stated and I forgot to mention in the post absolutely nothing in the manual regarding orientation.

The rods have symmetrical holes in the small ends two at the bottom and one at the top. The top one could be possibly for piston crown cooling.

There are no holes on the rods for spraying onto the cylinder walls as far as I can see and the slots on the big end caps are again symmetrical, so I don't think it makes much odds either and I'll install as shown in the photographs and as recommended by you as well.

I'll post back up, though it's going to be a long time, if it starts to go dogga dogga with relatively little running. :shock:

John

Back