• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1100 suspension settings

marcus_b

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi,

I have just bought my first Guzzi, an 06 Griso in Yellow with a Mistral Carbon exhaust. Unfortunately I had to go into hospital 3 days after getting her dropped off... so so ive got about a month or so of tinkering time in the garage before i can get back out on her!

I can remember the old forum had a thread detailing the best suspension set for the griso, but it looks like the link to this has been lost so i thought i'd try and start the thread a fresh... can anyone help by chucking in there settings?

Thanks in advance,

Marcus (UK)

Marcus, welcome back, and congrats on the new Griso. Love to get your info for the Modern Registry, and perhaps a photo or two of you *and* your new Griso.

As for the settings, I hope to find out in a few days or less if the data is reviveable. Cross your fingers for me.

Otherwise, I'm sure the original post(er) will show up and post it again. ;)

Racer X,

Sorry to hear about the troubles... im keeping my fingers crossed as I found the forum very useful in the run up to buying the Griso...so no doubt it will be even more invaluable now that I have one sat in the garage.

I will try and get some photos of me and the bike this weekend... although unfortunately they will only be from outside the garage.

Here is the original post, I used slightly modified settings, based on my weight and riding style, but these will get you in the ball park and are far, far better than the stock settings...

After having Jim Lindemann adjust my front and rear suspension, I spent some time doing some fine tuning to get it optimized for me. Lindemann's initial adjustments made a big improvement in plushness compared to the original harshness over high speed bumps, but it was still a bit shy of my Lindemann revalved and tuned VFR gold standard. After experimenting with incremental changes to both ends, I've settled on final settings which is now very good for me, so much so that I've decided I no longer need the full revalve/respring treatment, it's just about as good as my VFR. Here are my settings:

Front
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1 T)
rebound: 2 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
preload: 5th mark (stock: 4th)
sag: 37mm (stock: 35mm)

Rear
compression: 1/4 T (stock: 1.5 T)
rebound: 40 clicks (stock: 17)
sag: 25mm

The front compression and rebound settings actually raised the dynamic ride height of the front end by a couple mm, which caused the steering to become heavier and moderately reluctant to lean. To compensate, I reduced the front preload by 2mm which restored the normal ride height and steering response.

Bottom line is that stock settings have too much rebound and not enough compression damping at both ends. Now that the suspension is where I like it, I no longer grimace when hitting bumps at speed, the harshness is pretty much gone. I weigh about 165 lbs so if you're in this range, you might give these settings a try and see how you like it.

For what it's worth, I used these settings (I weigh 155 lbs.), with great results.
Thanks, Guzzi Jon.
Ken

I used settings suggested by others and they didn't work as well as what I came up with in the end. Note I am considerably heavier than most of you at 240 lbs (that's US, not imperial measure:laugh: ) so should expect some tweaking.

Front forks set at 1 turn for both compression and rebound worked best for me.

Rear rebound ended up being almost fully open, Rear compression I don't remember but I adjusted till it felt right and was somewhere in the middle of the range.

Front preload stayed stock, I tried to tighten it up but immediately backed it off to stock.

Rear preload is tightened up about 2-3 full turns. Again I went too far but then backed off, you'll know what is too much. By rights I should consider a stiffer rear spring to support my ample backside but it's OK.

Key for me was to do some real bumpy roads to work the suspension in first. Concentrate on sag then rebound, (both can be done mostly in the garage) then compression. Change one thing at a time, record settings and make notes about ride response. Took me about a week and 300 miles to get it where I wanted it and I haven't felt the need to touch it the last 3K miles.

Ride is supple but firm enough, I'm real happy with it. I don't do track days, just brisk back road blasting.

Your mileage may vary
Wally

P.S. glad your back but now my Boss will notice my productivity drop again:eek:hmy: I actually got some work done these past few weeks.

I rode a sprint for 6 yrs with stock suspension setttings because I thought the preload and dampening stuff was too much of a black art until I came across this site that explained what each element does, when they are suppose to do their thing, and how the bike will feel when setup incorrectly or corretly.

http://www.gostar-racing.com/informatio ... set-up.htm

Thanks for the help,

Ive just spent 30 mins in the garage changing the set-up, turns out it was a lot easier that I expected! I'm hoping to get out on her tomorrow to see what affect the changes have made (turns out it was running the stock set-up so the previous owner hadnt played with all the bells and whistles).

Back