Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY PRODUCT or other website hyperlinks. This means to ANY products OR to other Forums . We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's a privately funded website. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

1200 Sport 4v work stand?

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Riversider, May 6, 2014.

1. Riversider

Riversider Just got it firing!

Does anyone know of a bike stand / work stand that will support the 4v 1200 Sport in my garage? There is one available for the Griso, but I cannot find anything for the Sport.

I'm reluctant to fit a centre stand to make the bike heavier than it already is, but that may be the only solution for servicing and wheel changes etc, unless someone knows different.

Riversider (in Scotland)

2. whysub

whysub Tuned and Synch'ed

I'm looking for one too-it seems a fruitless search so for.

I will try to get into a local engineering shop to see if they can find a solution to this, as I don't want to fit a centre stand either.

I'll let you know.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Considering what the bike already weighs, the center stand is negligible. You won't notice the extra weight. Just trim down the rubber bumper so you still have good cornering clearance. Personally, I don't want a bike without a center stand.

4. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I made one, by extending a standard swing arm stand. It attaches to bobbins mounted to the bottom of the pillion footrests.

[​IMG][/URL]

Works well, I have three 1200 Sports modified to fit this stand.

5. john zibell

If you have a tire problem out on the road, how do you get a wheel off? Center stand cures many issues with maintenance.

6. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

John, the original post indicated he didn't want to fit a center stand. Neither do I.

There are times when a center stand is valid (I have them on my 1100 Brevas and Norge), but they can be a pain in the butt too.

My solution was for home servicing and replacing tires (generally, I do not let tire shops anywhere near my bike). Even if I did have a center stand, I would not be removing my tire on the road. That's what mobile phones are for.

7. john zibell

Just to relay experience, my wife's bike got a flat in the middle of nowhere West Virginia. It was much easier to remove the wheel, strap it to my bike and get it repaired than to transport the entire bike. Of course that was before cell phones. Again the choice of having a center stand or not is the owners. Just trying to illustrate the benefit of the center stand.

8. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

For that I carry a repair kit. Easier to do in the middle of no where and works without removing the tire.

9. whysub

whysub Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks Kiwi Dave. Never thought of that as a solution. I have a couple of these knocking about in the depths of the garage, an able grinder and my brother can weld.

10. john zibell

That type of fix is subject to fail due to the flexing of the tread area. Might be good enough to get you to a repair shop though. An internal patch plug is the only reliable tubeless repair, unfortunately many shops won't use them. BTW, When I was a demo rider for MGNA I got a flat on a Demo California rear tire during the Honda Hoot several years ago. Had to ride the bike back to the rally site about 5 miles with a flat. Big piece of steel. No way a plug could have been used. Tire had to be replaced. Thanks to the Cali having a center stand, we could remove the wheel in the parking lot and get a tire put on.

11. KERMUTT

KERMUTT Just got it firing!

On a similar note, I am looking for a stand that will fit into the tubes on each side, just below the saddle. I built a simple T-stand that bolts into some threaded mounts on the engine block to support the front during fork work. Now i'm digging into the rear for shock replacement and swingarm bearing maintenance. That tube seems like it would be a good place to support the remainder of the weight. It will need to be offset slightly so as to not block access to the swing arm shaft.
    Anyone seen or heard of something like that?

12. john zibell

Not a good idea for the Breva/Sport/Norge. The pork chops have to be removed to access the swing arm bearings. Also the chrome piece in the pork chop is not the same diameter as the tube and would probably break if the bike was to be supported that way. It is not the same design as the spine frame bikes. I would recommend just using a sturdy front wheel chock and jacking up the rear from the engine pan using a scissors jack.

13. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

You do realize that Stein Dinse sells the center stand for the 1200 Sport? I bought mine and it was a perfect fit.

It does not affect handling and is supremely convenient.

BRG-BIRD and john zibell like this.