• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1200 sport alternate bars?

Suncoast

Tuned and Synch'ed
I'm in the process of fitting 1200 sport risers and bars to my 1100 Breva to get a more forward lean. I have a set of the stock 1200 sport bars but they seem really low and I'm not sure if my switch gear will clear the tank. I know people have switched up to the Mana Bars as well as the Renthal fatbars # 671??I think. Will any of the 1 1/8" fatbars work in the riser clamps? The Aprillia bars are nice but a little pricey for me right now. Has anyone tried to fit any pro-taper bars or others?
Thanks

Moto International has had luck with Renthal Fat Bars I believe.

The 1200 Sport bars fit a bit different than you might think, the bars curve to the front of the bike, not up as is normal.

It's hard to explain unless someone has a set on their bike still and can take a picture.

I went with the Aprilia Mana bars; you are correct in that they are pricey, that's the most I've every spent on a set of handlebars.

I'll try rotating them more forward and see if the switches wil clear the tank....I hope this project isn't going to be one of that "well it seemed like a good idea at the time!!" projects.. So far I really like the more forward position compared to the sit up postion of the stock Breva.

Have the Renthal 671 fitted to one of my 1200 Sports, Aprilia Mana bars on two others. Prefer the Renthal bars, but you will need to consider the mounting of the bar end weights as they need to be customized to accommodate.

I have been told (but not personally confirmed) that an 18mm spark plug tap will provide the correct thread required for the bar ends. The Mana bars already have the threading.

Edit: I found the measurements I made comparing the Aprilia Mana bars and the original 1200 Sports bars.
Weight: 620 grams (original 730 grams)
Width: 776mm tip to tip (original 768mm)
Reach: 38mm higher, 95 mm closer to rider (compared to original)

Hmmmmm 18mm spark plug tap for the bar ends...can anyone confirm this? I'll try and locate an 18mm sparkplug to see if it'll screw into the stock bars. This would be a huge help if it works, I see on the Bay that cheap 18mm taps are only @ $10.00. Thanks Kiwi Dave B)

M18 X 1.5mm Thread for bar end weights insert.
The Mana bars are already this size any others may require a custom insert or none standard bar ends.
I replaced the long Norge/Euro Breva end weights with 1200 Sport items.
Even with the Mana bars you have to watch tank clearances especially with the later Norge/Breva chunky switch gear.

I have had a set of 1200 2v bars on my Euro Breva 1200 they will fit but the Mana bars are a better riding position for most people. This is quite an expensive mod. with the need for Sport risers, handlebars and handlebar inserts and bar end weights, but the bike looks far better for it and with the Givi A770 fairing makes for great all day comfort.

Middle picture is of Sport bars fitted note there are two types 2v and 8v. These are 2v the 8v are higher.

Attachments

• Red fairing 4.jpg
    Red fairing 4.jpg
    661.5 KB · Views: 802
  • Black Handlebars.jpg
    Black Handlebars.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 812
  • Red fairing 3.jpg
    Red fairing 3.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 793
Hi
I put a set of Ballabio bars on my 2008 Sport. Totally transformed the bike. Not only did the dark silver colour suit the bike but they were far less a reach than the standard bars and far more comfortable. I found they improved the feel and control due to their better positioning. I rode several hundred miles at a time with them and never suffered from discomfort.
Hope this helps
Best regards
Nik.

I bought my 1200 Sport used and the bike came with the stock bars in a box, and Renthals mounted.

I like the bars, but the switch housing on the left side does touch the tank in full left. Not a real problem on the road, but moving the bike around in the garage, I have to be careful not to scratch the tank,

One item of interest I did not realize, and maybe the guy who owned the bike before me did this, but a mechanic told me that when mounting the new "fatter" bars someone had to shave off a stop used to keep the housings from moving around. I now notice that every couple of rides I have to reposition the switch housings to keep the grips out on the end of the handlebar as they slide forward about an inch or so with time

Kelso661 said:
One item of interest I did not realize, and maybe the guy who owned the bike before me did this, but a mechanic told me that when mounting the new "fatter" bars someone had to shave off a stop used to keep the housings from moving around. I now notice that every couple of rides I have to reposition the switch housings to keep the grips out on the end of the handlebar as they slide forward about an inch or so with time

There are locating pins mounted in the housings that locate in holes drilled in the original bars, that can be pulled out if the housings are a tight fit on the new bar. It has the advantage of being able to reposition the angle of the housing without disturbing the angle of the bar.

It sounds like you need to swivel your bars up to miss the tank on full lock, and then reinstall the pins or arrange some packing so that the housings clamp down properly on the Renthal bars. Normally, they do not hit the tank (at least on the model Renthals I have).

Thanks for the tip. I really have not spent too much time looking at the bar situation as the bike is not ridden alot. Once I thin down the herd a little, I will definitely fox this. Again thanks.

Back