Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

'13-15 V7 Over-charging? PLEASE READ

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by GT-Rx®, Feb 16, 2016.

1. francod123

francod123 Cruisin' Guzzisti

I mean, it's possible, but I distinctly remember making sure every fuse was correctly seated...

2. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

tiny bit of corrosion on the relay.
    I'd disconnect the neg. battery terminal. turn the key on and hit the brakes to clear stored voltage in computer. this should clear the code. then go ride and try to forget it.

francod123 likes this.
  3. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

Could be a self programming delay in the ECU unit. I've seen this post before on the Bonneville forum. I know on my truck I replaced a few sensors and the truck had to go through a few cycles before things operated as normal.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Don't over-think it. It was likely a simple combo of key on too long, and/or not in neutral/clutch switch issue. If it arises again, then worry about it. The ECU doesn't have a sleep mode, only if the battery voltage is too low it won't allow it to turn the motor.

dabrucru and francod123 like this.
  5. francod123

Sounds good. I'll check the 0611 error code again at another time to see if cycled out. If the check engine light doesn't come back on then that's a good sign.

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Every bike I connect to shows 0611, and clearing it doesn't seem to matter.

7. francod123

Every bike, really? Weird...can't remember if it was always there. Thanks for all the insight folks.

8. Bob Ponticelli

Bob Ponticelli Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I posted this on WG too but passing along FWIW.

Bob,

We think Guzzi installed that higher switching voltage regulator/rectifier on purpose. They are all like that. All measure same.

There was no way to expand the alternator size because of the wheel and casting positions so they bumped up the voltage of the zener diode gate switch. Yeah, poor substitute but it was cheap!

You can go back to 14.6VDC reg/rec if you want but in our opinion it doesn’t resolve anything really.

9. pokeyjoe

pokeyjoe High Miler

But they are NOT all the same. And the new V7s perform in a more universally acceptable fashion (nothing approaching 15v) so maybe Moto Guzzi decided it wasn't so good. That forum is scary.

10. Bob Ponticelli

Bob Ponticelli Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I know, just letting folks know what my dealer mentioned....also said will depend on age of battery etc for some of the fluctuations noted. Mine actually measured okay and I think I am just going to monitor over time.

11. drlapo

drlapo Tuned and Synch'ed

I spoke to an electrical engineer about charging a 12v battery and the v7 situation.
    He is very familiar with12v batteries used in computer UPS battery banks.
    A charging voltage of15v+ calls for an immediate replacement of the system VR.
    He could not suggest a reason for Guzzi's 15+v spec
    I replaced the VR on my bike

pokeyjoe and dabrucru like this.
  12. elkgrichard

elkgrichard High Miler

If there is nothing wrong with the VR's why did my shop replace my VR and then the factory request pictures of the damaged wiring on my bike and the list off all electrical performed on my bike?

13. dabrucru

dabrucru Cruisin' Guzzisti

Im just curious to know, has anyone changed or thinking of changing their VR?

14. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

I'm changing mine I checked it last week, it was reading high. I mailed the plug inns to Todd to wire up for me. Better to pay a little now and be safe then pay a lot more later.

dabrucru likes this.
  15. drlapo

drlapo Tuned and Synch'ed

Yes I installed a Mosfet VR on my13 v7special
    It was putting out 15.5 volts stock
    Now14.2
    Easy swap

Stradagene and dabrucru like this.
  16. cytocycle

cytocycle Cruisin' Guzzisti

Thanks for this post, luckily my 2013 Racer is reading 13.6 at idle and 14.4 at 4k rpm. So I think I'm good for now even though my battery did die after 1 year (and not covered under the 2 year warranty)

dabrucru likes this.
  17. motoangler

motoangler Just got it firing!

Ok, looks like my recently purchased 15' V7 is in the clear for now. Just tested at the terminals with a multimeter. 12.5v off, 14.1v at idle, 14.3v at 3,000rpm. I'll be keeping an eye on it from time to time.

Good job for those that searched and found solutions for the issue.

18. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Received my new VR in the mail today from GuzziTech. Installed and everything is reading in spec. now. Thanks GuzziTech and Todd for the heads up and the resolution. 20160505_104723.jpg

19. Ken Cooley

Ken Cooley Tuned and Synch'ed

Today I checked out my charging system by plugging into my Battery Tender lead on the bike.
    I had text book conditions in that at idle it was 13.4-13.8v. At 3,000 and 3,400 it was not over 14.4volt.

I assume this is correct and good.

My dealer said he had not found a single machine with this problem here in Illinois and he has sold some V7's and has more on the floor.
    I don't know if they checked mine at PDI as they don't remember. I guess they need a better PDI chart they save in the customer file, right?

So, does anyone have a problem with me checking this in this manner?

I didn't want to dig back into the battery.

I have right at 900 miles now on this little Guzzi and did first service at 700 miles from the dealer.

So far, so good. I love the machine. It's what I expected but better and I can highly recommend this brand to others.

20. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Did you have the battery fully charged with the battery tender when you checked it?