• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 Charging issues / Dead battery -- PLEASE READ

I printed the reset for service out and will do it today. I did the 600 myself and did the re-torque. this is Guzzi # 11 and I did all of the service my self except one. when I got it home (90miles) and checked the fluid levels the tranny drained out the proper amount for a change. The tech had forgot to empty before filling it.
this 17 volts scares me. dealer didn't call back Sat. I will call him again Tue. when he re-opens but my cousin is here for a week of riding and it will get 1000 miles on it next week.

I printed the reset for service out and will do it today. I did the 600 myself and did the re-torque. this is Guzzi # 11 and I did all of the service my self except one. when I got it home (90miles) and checked the fluid levels the tranny drained out the proper amount for a change. The tech had forgot to empty before filling it.
this 17 volts scares me. dealer didn't call back Sat. I will call him again Tue. when he re-opens but my cousin is here for a week of riding and it will get 1000 miles on it next week.

I would not run with 17 volts showing. That is going to strain everything in that electrical system. The ECU is probably/hopefully protected, (not sure on that) but everything else is depends on that voltage regulator to stay below 14.4. It's like throwing 10 pounds of shit in a five pound bag.

That is going to strain everything in that electrical system. The ECU is probably/hopefully protected
Indeed it will. Most of the electrical system is protected for spikes, not constant (massive) voltage. The cam sensor and ECU(/Throttle Body) seem to be the weak links, and of course the battery.
I hope to have some info to post here in the next few days on a GT VR Kit.

So, in short, if one owns a 2013 V7, as I do, then it's proactive and smart to replace the voltage regulator, pronto. That's what I'm getting out of this thread.

Does anyone have the correct part number for the improved and copacetic V7 II voltage regulator? And a source, perhaps?

Equally important, is the V7 II voltage regulator a direct swap with the wretched and dangerous 2013 OEM unit? Do the mounting holes on the old crappy voltage regulator match-up with the mounting holes on the new excellent voltage regulator?

Having previously fitted a set of smash-bars on my V7, I have already been forced to fabricate a custom voltage regulator mounting thingy to allow the upper smash-bar mounting point and the voltage regulator to co-exist. I am not in any hurry to try and fit an off-brand R&R because I would almost certainly need to carve - from alloy - a new voltage regulator mounting thing. If I had a machine shop and a drill press and a milling machine and precision measuring tools, then fabricating another mounting thing would probably be pretty easy but alas, I do not. I have to carve these things with files and hand-drills and the like and it's time consuming.

A more direct, rather than more-or-less direct, replacement would be best for me and no doubt many other V7 riders. Knowing the correct part number would be truly helpful.

Thanks mucho.

A more direct, rather than more-or-less direct, replacement would be best for me and no doubt many other V7 riders. Knowing the correct part number would be truly helpful.
VR replacement ASAP is ideal. Problem likely is that most bikes are 2-3 years old, and the system would likely be compromised already. Sooner you catch it the better of course.
Per what I posted above, I will have a plug-and-play GT kit available soon. I will also verify the V7 II mount spacing later today. These would be available via any dealer.

I tested my 13 V7 Special today 15.45 volts at idle and at increased RPM. so the VR is working just not at the ideal voltage. I have a VR from an 07 Triumph that was working fine when it was removed. I'm going to see if the plugs match up as the VR unit appears to bolt up on the V7 mounts
the next move is to spend $130+ for the mosfet unit as my warranty expired last month

the MG part number for the 2016 VR is 2D000043. cost is $144.20 from an on line supplier

Center to center spacing on the V7 II VR bolt spacing center to center is ~3.0" - I don't have a '13-15 here at the moment. Can anyone measure one and post?

the 13 MG VR has 6 leads. The Triumph part that I have has 7 leads. The mosfet unit available on the interweb has 5 leads; gonna need some help here

for me the spacer is inconsequential; I have aluminum plate and can make one. I just need to find a reliable source for information on the electrical connections. I can cut and solder the wires
I sent a note to Jack at roadster cycles asking for some direction on the wiring of the mosfet unit

Last edited:
Try Shindengen's website:

catalog_03.jpg

I tested my 13 V7 Special today 15.45 volts at idle and at increased RPM. so the VR is working just not at the ideal voltage. I have a VR from an 07 Triumph that was working fine when it was removed. I'm going to see if the plugs match up as the VR unit appears to bolt up on the V7 mounts
the next move is to spend $130+ for the mosfet unit as my warranty expired last month

I would wait and see what Tod come up with. Somebody posted on here they had trouble with one of those VR on their Bonneville. The wiring is not going to match anyway. You want a clean plug and play situation. I don't want to be on a long trip trying to remember what color wires match up. Been there done that and it sucks.

Todd's wiring diagram is great. the mosfet upgrade looks very doable
I'm going to ask my dealer about a warranty claim first even though my warranty expired last month.
Maybe MG will acknowledge the problem and offer an upgraded VR

is the V7 alternator only single phase? according to the wire diagram there are only 2 wires from the alternator??
even my 79 Triumph is 3 phase

Hey, Todd. Both your wiring diagram and Joe's are for the dry alternator bikes. Any idea if anything changed with a wet alternator (besides a lower output)?

Back