• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'13+ V7 Throttle Body/ECU Removal

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
francod123 said:
You know what would be awesome? If someone with the appropriate experience and skill could upload a video (youtube perhaps) of the single throttle body removal on the new v7s (2013s) for those that are considering sending theirs to Todd for ECU remap. Christmas could perhaps come early for some of us. Long shot but maybe someone is willing in the near future...just a thought. Cheers.

The service manual shows it quite well though, p.46-48

Also, notes from makarushka below:

The description of the process in the manual, while very generic and neglectful of some puzzling details, gives enough of direction to get by. You will have to just try it and discover it for yourself; it's a pain in the ass but doable. I am doing this by memory but here are a few hints/guidelines regarding the ECU removal process that might help:

• 1) remove the side panels, fuel tank, and the battery. you should NOT have to remove the airbox or any of the bolts holding the two halves of it together. That said, it may be helpful or necessary to be able to partially split it in order to install the rubber boot for the throttle body in case it comes out, which it likely will. It also MAY help to undo some of the bolts holding the whole airbox assembly to the frame so it can be moved some when wrangling the throttle body (TB) out or in.
    2) loosen all clamps plenty and remove the Y-shaped air intake ducts. this again is made to sound simpler that it actually is. they are SOMEWHAT flexible. I found it easiest to push the two front ends down and then angle the whole thing off the throttle body and out of the frame.
    3) now is where you angle to throttle body out. at this point you will likely get the rubber boot that connects it to the airbox out as well. The biggest bitch is putting it back in. :)

In my experience, you have to have that rubber boot back in the air-box housing by itself first and THEN wrangle the throttle body back into it as opposed to trying to jam the whole thing back in the way it came out. Except at that point the issue is getting the clamp on it... If you had it on to begin with, the TB would not go back in... But if you slide the TB back in wihout the clamp, then there is no access to get it on the boot... The bolt is on the way... I ended up having to
straighten the clamp and using all sorts of strange pokey tools to wrap it around the boot and hook it together.

I am probably making things more confusing :) I guess one point is, look very carefully at things before you remove them and give it some thought how you would go about putting them back in... Maybe take pictures... Taking the TB out is no big deal, you'll curse a bit and it'll be out; putting it back in is where the real fun is :) In any case, it's all doable and, more importantly, is 150% worth it.

Good luck!

Re: throttle body removal

GT-Rx said:
I'd offer, but i have no need to pull one if it's here. :pinch:

Ok, great. I haven't gone through that yet so that is good to hear. Any news on Dynojet coming out with a PC for the new V7s? I know you said you were in talks with them a little while back.

GT-Rx said:

I looked at the manual for throttle body removal, and it does a pretty good job of explaining and showing detailed diagrams but a few things are somewhat unclear or vaguely represented. My question is, do I have to remove any other parts prior to removing the throttle body that the manual does not indicate per the pages 46-48? I say this because I was wondering if it's possible to remove it without having to lift the bike and so on and the manual shows diagrams with other parts already removed.

francod123 said:
GT-Rx said:

I looked at the manual for throttle body removal, and it does a pretty good job of explaining and showing detailed diagrams but a few things are somewhat unclear or vaguely represented. My question is, do I have to remove any other parts prior to removing the throttle body that the manual does not indicate per the pages 46-48? I say this because I was wondering if it's possible to remove it without having to lift the bike and so on and the manual shows diagrams with other parts already removed.

You won't know till you get in there. If something is in your way, remove it. It is just a bike, it isn't rocket science.

john zibell said:
francod123 said:
GT-Rx said:

You won't know till you get in there. If something is in your way, remove it. It is just a bike, it isn't rocket science.

Touché. Just like to know certain things in advance if at all possible.

In the process of reinstalling the remapped throttle body and re-installing the tank, I broke the plastic T fitting in the fuel line running to each injector. It looks like it is a special order item on AF1 racing. Do we think that it is a part a typical dealer would have in stock or would I be better off just ordering it from AF1? When I was wrangling the tank around into position I heard a pop and thought it was the quick release. Ugh...

Do we think that it is a part a typical dealer would have in stock or would I be better off just ordering it from AF1? When I was wrangling the tank around into position I heard a pop and thought it was the quick release. Ugh...
Bummer. That would likely be a special order item. I would say get the whole line... that would more likely be in stock either at AF1 or the warehouse.

Where AF1 gets parts from within the U.S.

I am going to check with Harper's too along with my dealer. To be this close to firing it up with the remapped ECU, new 2>1 exhaust and to have that piece break is only mildly frustrating...

I wouldn't be riding it anywhere which makes it slightly more ok. Got 6.5" of snow last night.

I wouldn't be riding it anywhere which makes it slightly more ok. Got 6.5" of snow last night.
If you can't get one, I think I have one I could send you. I replaced mine, because it was fragile. I think the one I put I my bike came off of a Jackal...lol Its metal.

Well I just spoke with Harper's and they quoted 3-4 weeks to get that part in. I haven't checked with my local dealer but it is not looking good. I may have to take you up on that offer if I hit more dead ends.

Back