• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'14 Stone - Relay Issues

colby22

Just got it firing!
My '14 Stone wouldn't start, out of the blue, luckily in my garage. The bike has Agostini exhausts and 2 fat-duc emulators, BMC air filter but that's about it for mods.

The dealer came and got it and called me after it had been on the lift for an hour and said ti was ready. I went in and they said they replaced a relay, before they picked it up I took off the emulators.

I rode it home 30 miles without issue, got in the driveway shut it down. Re installed the emulators and no go. Removed them it was back to square one. Turning the key it goes through the standard start up, except the yellow engine light illuminates and it will turn over but that's it.

I can't imagine that the emulators have anything to do with this issue but I could be wrong. I just wish I had tried to restart it before re-installtion of the emulators..live and learn.

Any ideas..? Now the dealer will need to come back out and get it again...ect ect.

Colby

"I can't imagine that the emulators have anything to do with this issue..."
Well, I can certainly imagine it. These things "work" by tricking the ECU into thinking that the O2 situation is other than it really is. The ECU can act intelligently only if the inputs are correct. If you think you know more than the engineers who designed the bike do, act at your own peril, but don't blame anybody other than yourself when things go wrong.

"I can't imagine that the emulators have anything to do with this issue..."
Well, I can certainly imagine it. These things "work" by tricking the ECU into thinking that the O2 situation is other than it really is. The ECU can act intelligently only if the inputs are correct. If you think you know more than the engineers who designed the bike do, act at your own peril, but don't blame anybody other than yourself when things go wrong.
Good to know I can always rely on a douchebag like yourself to help out. Saying, "I can't imagine" isn't quite saying I know more than the engineers who designed the circuit. So maybe reading and comprehension is not your strong suite and douche-baggery is.
Thanks anyway.

I don't have a V7 but did they say what relay they replaced. Relays usually fail from use and stick unless you applied some crazy amps to it. I would look for a blown fuse somewhere. Perhaps the Duc's are creating a short somewhere. Failing that, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so. The short (if that is what it is) may have just caused a hicup in the ECU. Sounds like it is cutting the fuel to the injectors. Does your fuel pump cycle when you turn the key.

I don't have a V7 but did they say what relay they replaced. Relays usually fail from use and stick unless you applied some crazy amps to it. I would look for a blown fuse somewhere. Perhaps the Duc's are creating a short somewhere. Failing that, disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so. The short (if that is what it is) may have just caused a hicup in the ECU. Sounds like it is cutting the fuel to the injectors. Does your fuel pump cycle when you turn the key.

They didn't say what relay they replaced, but I think you are on the right path. The Duc's were on the bike for 6 months with no issues, but things fail so it seems like they could be a part if not the main culprit. They just picked up the bike this morning. I wish I had tried this prior for sure. thanks!!! Ill post the results when I pick the bike up.

The FI systems in motorcycles are still fairly crude by automotive standards. They use a rich fuel map in the ECU and a narrow band O2 sensor for trim. If you fool the ECU into thinking the bike is running lean, it will increase the mixture everywhere. You don't have a problem everywhere. I'd be worried about washing down the cylinder walls with fuel and diluting the oil. You need a new fuel map that corresponds to your mods. The first thing I would do is return the bike to stock and get it to run right. Then send Todd a note and tell him what you want to do and he can set you up with a proper map.

I've posted about this countless times on the FD resistors. They were designed for the very crude 15RC ECU. They do NOT work properly on any of the newer bikes. Pull them.
The factory maps the bike lean, and allows the stock sensors to add fuel, however the "sensor" has a very narrow operating range, else it will throw an error.
The GT ECU flash has proven best for the '13+ V7's; https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-v7-miu-reflash/

Back