• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1400 moaning gas cap

wforider

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Yup it moans, sounds like whales mating…kind of :D

after a ride seems like pressure builds in the gas tank and I guess bleeds through a relief in the gas cap….so I'm told.
open up gas cap and you hear a pressure relief and the whales stop singing, may have to crack the cap 3 or so times before the whales go home.

Does your 1400 gas tank moan??

Part of the lovely EPA emissions. Pressurized tanks lead to many problems. Take a picture of the bottom of the cap. See if there is a rubber plug or similar that can be removed for proper venting.

I just check the parts manual in the downloads section. These bikes also have the troublesome one way valve in the emission system. Take it off and throw it away and the moans should go away. It looks like it may be located at the front of the tank under all the plastic trim. Let us know what you find.

Thanks John. Most likely a cause as well. If you don't want to remove it, they can be popped apart and the internals removed and put back in place. Easiest to just remove it and put a straight connector in place from the local auto parts store, or run a continuous line to the current exit location.

The tank is vented via a rubber hose. It appears to breathe through a brass restriction about 6'' from the tank from memory. I left mine alone, but next time I get the tank off, I will deal with it properly. If the tank wasn't such a pain to get off, I would have done it long ago.

Whale mating noises is how I would describe it too. Funny, since I have never experienced this in person! It goes on for absolutely ages after switching off the motor.

wforider said:
[flash=][/
how to screenshot on windows]

Just a flat rubber seal…forget where i got the info on the vented gas cap?

Looks like the same cap used on the EV series bikes. This cap does not vent. Go after that one way valve like I said earlier. That is what we had to do with the EV series bikes. After awhile, the key may become hard to turn. The cure is to disassemble the cap and file down the plastic piece so the metal part will turn easily. Should be covered well in the Tonti and Loop section.

I thought someone in the neighborhood was using a pump or some kind of power tool when I first heard the gas tank moan this weekend.

Not willing to pull the tank or "fish out the line", I just cut a 1/4 inch section out of the hose and then joined them with a T connector. Excess pressure can now escape out the vertical of the T.

Mine moans daily with temperature changes in the garage. gave up worrying about it. Initially thought it was the fuel pump, but I've given up on that idea.
Bare

Vent line has a check valve, basically a small connector with a ball bearing in it.

Removed ball bearing from the line and no more moaning

Mine was also a moaner, I removed the "tip over valve" that is located under the tank in the vent line, and replaced it with a standard 5/16 line coupler. And the moaning zombie noise is gone.

Gas cap is OK.

But had a moaning gas bag in the past ........................... gave her leave of absence for the rest of my life. :D

Back