Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

1400 Top Case Options

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Anthony DeStefano, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Pete BoBeet

Pete BoBeet Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Greetings, Robert! I confess I am not knowledgeable enough to discern the difference between a stock case and an aftermarket one labeled "Moto Guzzi". Since I am not the first owner of the bike life is full of surprises! Just curious, aside from parts diagrams, do you have a good reference source where I could compare my cases and, for that matter, various other parts, with what is known to be stock equipment circa 2014? The more I find out about my bike the better.

2. Robert Gibson

Robert Gibson High Miler GT Contributor

The CM228501 50 litre top case and 65 litre CM262801 top case (accessory catalogue), are both available for the California range. The 65 litre top case is more California Touring specific as it is supplied with additional locks enabling you to replace the pannier locks in order that one key fits all. Bare in mind that the 65 litre bolts to the rack whereas the 50 litre latches onto a top plate that is fixed to the rack. This makes it easily removable if you so wish.
    An option is to buy a similarly sized SHAD top case with mounting plate and put a Guzzi badge on it. A far cheaper option than the Guzzi unit.

3. Pete BoBeet

Pete BoBeet Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Thank you, Robert. That was informative!

4. Luca Bandinelli

Luca Bandinelli Just got it firing!

I went a slightly different road for a "top case" and opted for a sem-rigid bag from Saddlemen (TR300DE is the model number). I still need to do some riding testing of course (weather here in WA is not the best this time of the year) but I'm quite please on the way it looks.

. IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1052.JPG IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1054.JPG

5. Skip Stauber

Skip Stauber Just got it firing! GT Contributor

I have the smaller Saddlemen R1300LXE bag, got it in the spring and used it on two road trips, its an excellent bag. (I mount mine in the other direction)
    It carries more than you would think, used the expandable option on a five day ride w/ pants, shorts, socks, shoes, tools, and more misc. stuff I didn't need, but you get the point. Stays ridged when empty and looks great. You made a good purchase. bag.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    John L likes this.
  6. Luca Bandinelli

Luca Bandinelli Just got it firing!

thanks @Skip Stauber , appreciated. I tried to mount it in the opposite direction... but the straps in the front are too short to grab the back rack....

Skip Stauber likes this.
  7. SEG

SEG Tuned and Synch'ed

Skip,

What size tank bag do you have? It looks like it holds at least 25 liters. And is it a magnetic bag? I have a 20 liter Chase Harper bag, and I’m looking for a larger one for touring.

Scott