• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1940 GTW clutch hub removal

olebmw

Just got it firing!
I am trying to remove the clutch hub from the main shaft and I'm not sure how it is attached. I do not see a keyway on the clutch side of the hub after I removed the nut. Is it a taper/keyway fit ? Any advise on removing it would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have all of the clutch pieces out and you're just looking at the shaft and the 4-spline hub. Is that correct?

The hub/shaft is a taper fit. Might be a key in there but I don't remember. I think not. You have to fully support the inner face of the hub and then press or drive the shaft out, CAREFUL, just whacking on it risks a fracture out of the entire casing side. Thin casting. Use a suitable squared-off tubing on the inside to support the inner face of the hub. The tubing has to be longer than the shaft so as to take the force at the far end. Put the nut back on the clutch end of the shaft to protect its threads. If it hasn't been off before, it might be VERY tight. The repair manual specifies the dimensions of this tubing I think. I could measure mine, but I won't be home for another day. I think Todd has my GTV manual translation posted in these archives. Check there for data. Also consider joining the guzzi-singles message group over on google groups. Also give me a postal address for a CD copy of the manuals. pehayes@comcast.net

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Thanks for the reply Patrick. I guess the answer was in the archives,I just didn't dig deep enough. I had already tried the pipe and press method but it didn't budge so I backed off until I was sure It was a taper fit. On the second try I used a smaller diameter pipe to fit against the inner race of the bearing and used a little heat on the center of the clutch hub. It was on very tight. The main shaft has a keyway but the chutch hub does not. Now to see if the cracked cases can be salvaged. Thanks again.

Back