• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1974 850t no start

Mark Stevenson

Just got it firing!
I'll tell the whole story, I bought a new old bike, MG 850t, then my friend came over and noticed that it wasn't firing on one cylinder. so I tested the spark plug on that side and noticed that it did not spark, I figured I'd buy new resistor cables and resistor for the spark plugs. installed them, no dice during test. so I sanded down the surface of all the ignition points, adjusted them, and I tested the coil and it was fine too.

it was a that point that I realized that I had been testing the plugs incorrectly, not allowing them a ground. as soon as I tested it with a ground it sparked beautifully. So now I don't know if it's been okay this whole time or wether I fixed it, because now the bike will not start whatsoever. I get a few thumps when trying to start after waiting a while, but nothing more.

I check the plugs after trying to start and they're wet with gas (I think), so I test the plugs when wet, and no spark. I'm not sure where the presumed fuel problem came from, but now I'm in a pickle. I've got the idle mixture set at stock, even though the exhaust is straight pipes with baffle, but I've fiddled with the idle screw and can't find what the stock amount of turns outward it was/is. even still the plugs are wet upon start. I could use some help, this is my first time diagnosing a no start/no spark situation.

Straight pipes even with baffles is not good. No telling what was done previously to the carbs to get it to run. Once wet, the plugs may not spark but conduct over the center insulator. Dry them with a butane lighter or matches. Idle mix screws should be around 2.5 turns out from seated if the correct pilot is in use. In you worked on the points, changing the point gap will change the ignition timing as well. You need to verify timing is correct before you go chasing other areas. If you can locate a Haynes manual for the bike they have pretty good coverage for that model.

Straight pipes even with baffles is not good. No telling what was done previously to the carbs to get it to run. Once wet, the plugs may not spark but conduct over the center insulator. Dry them with a butane lighter or matches. Idle mix screws should be around 2.5 turns out from seated if the correct pilot is in use. In you worked on the points, changing the point gap will change the ignition timing as well. You need to verify timing is correct before you go chasing other areas. If you can locate a Haynes manual for the bike they have pretty good coverage for that model.

thanks a bunch, I had sanded the points but then I reset them poorly, most likely. the manual says .016-.018 inches, and it describes loosely what the feeler should feel like in the point gap. So I must've mistaken a few things. But just as a word of notice, I was not the one to put straight pipes on, that was the owner before the owner before me. any idea what damage this might've done do the engine, maybe a replacement valve of some sort?

thanks a bunch, I had sanded the points but then I reset them poorly, most likely. the manual says .016-.018 inches, and it describes loosely what the feeler should feel like in the point gap. So I must've mistaken a few things. But just as a word of notice, I was not the one to put straight pipes on, that was the owner before the owner before me. any idea what damage this might've done do the engine, maybe a replacement valve of some sort?

I didn't think you put the straight pipes on. Just wanted to let you know they will run like crap that way. These engines run best with a cross over to improve scavenging and mufflers for a little back pressure. T points are difficult to set up. You should feel a slight drag on the feeler gauge. Use the wider specification, they will stay in range longer that way. Also a point file should be used instead of sand paper. You will get a better surface on the points. One cylinder is timed by rotating the distributor body, the other by moving the points mounting plate. Getting both in time is like a balancing act. Sometimes you have to change point gap a little to get the timing correct. Timing marks are on the flywheel and can be seen once you remove the rubber plug on the right side of the gearbox case. So, set the timing. Then adjust the valves and if she doesn't run, start looking at carbs. Also a leak down test will inform you if you have any issues with valves or rings, and which has the issue. A compression test only verifies if you have good compression, but doesn't indicate why it doesn't. BTW, correct exhaust is reasonable at MG Cycle, but get her running before you spend more money.

I didn't think you put the straight pipes on. Just wanted to let you know they will run like crap that way. These engines run best with a cross over to improve scavenging and mufflers for a little back pressure. T points are difficult to set up. You should feel a slight drag on the feeler gauge. Use the wider specification, they will stay in range longer that way. Also a point file should be used instead of sand paper. You will get a better surface on the points. One cylinder is timed by rotating the distributor body, the other by moving the points mounting plate. Getting both in time is like a balancing act. Sometimes you have to change point gap a little to get the timing correct. Timing marks are on the flywheel and can be seen once you remove the rubber plug on the right side of the gearbox case. So, set the timing. Then adjust the valves and if she doesn't run, start looking at carbs. Also a leak down test will inform you if you have any issues with valves or rings, and which has the issue. A compression test only verifies if you have good compression, but doesn't indicate why it doesn't. BTW, correct exhaust is reasonable at MG Cycle, but get her running before you spend more money.
so what's the consensus on switching to a dyna ignition and coil system? recommended or shunned.

Lots have been converted & once set up it's pretty worry free. I'll probably do that to the Mille GT if I ever get the shop built.

Back