• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1979 v50ii engine died on freeway, wont start. help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mybrainmelted

Just got it firing!
i purchased a 79 with about 6k original miles on it, the guy i got it from only put 22 miles on it in the 8 years he owned it, and had a bunch of work done to the bike a few years ago (rebuilt seals, new oil pump and other maintenance). The oil pressure light had been going on and off sporadically, (would be off when bike was colder and at high rpms when hot). ive only had the bike a couple weeks and am still getting it legal (it wouldnt pass co2 emissions). i had been meaning to take it into a dealer, but was putting it off until this week. i also noticed a little bit of oil leaking on the right side of the engine, from the pipe that runs into the block from the carburetor. this had only started after riding it on the freeway.

so i havent done anything to the bike as far as fluids changed or anything like that... (they all looked fine... probably dumb of me) and yesterday i had ridden only a couple of miles when i was getting on the freeway, and tried to pass someone. i was in 5th gear, throttle wide open, and as it got near redline i heard a bunch of rapid, loud clanking sounds coming from the engine (i had earplugs in so i didnt notice it right away) and then the next thing i knew, the bike died, and wouldnt start. as i was slowing down it was making weird clicks when i tried to put it in gear, even when the clutch was depressed. i thought maybe for some reason it was the battery (because its not the right battery, new one is in mail) and that i had drained it so it wasnt giving enough spark, so i tried to have it jumped to no avail. today i tried starting the bike and it turns over a bit but makes loud clanking sounds. i had it put in 2nd and rocked it back and forth and there were still compression noises coming from the engine, i checked the oil and it didnt seem like there were any fluids or shavings in it.. im pretty sure i f**ked the engine up, and am getting it taken to the shop in a couple of days..

im just curious though, do any of you guys know what might have happened (and why) and what im going to have to expect as far as repairs are concerned? any help is appreciated. thanks.

Re: 1979 v50ii engine died on freeway, wont start. help plea

I'd suggest it has probably dropped an exhaust valve

Take off the rocker covers and have a looksee at the valve clearances.

Pete

update:

finally got it into the dealer earlier this week. the mechanic said (before tearing it completely apart) that he pulled the oil pan and that there were pieces of rod bearing in it. he told me that to know what happened for certain, itd have to be gone through, but that if it was just rod bearings i could get those replaced since nothing in the cylinder looked damaged... but he recommended i would probably want to get a total rebuild (this is what i get for my idiocy). i still dont know the exact cause of failure, or what the full damage is... it hasnt been pulled out of the bike and split yet.

so if i decide to do this, would it be unwise to request only factory stock parts for the rebuild? he said something about the aftermarket pistons being better quality and 1/3rd of the price... but i was hoping to keep this bike as original as possible, seeing it only has 6,300 miles and is very clean.

should i opt for a rebuild? itll be around $2500 at least... i paid 2k for the bike.
should i buy a used engine off ebay and swap it out?
should i dump the bike for cheap and focus elsewhere?

i really love my moto guzzi and am willing to pay to have it fixed... its just damn hard on my finances.

any feedback is more than appreciated.

Yup, keeping old oil is tempting. CO2 emissions test? Non of that here in CA. Dealer that works on old small block? Wish there were dealer here that get a tune-up done right.
What ever the cause of the failure is, it may still remain after the rebuild. That has to be determined. If you decide to go with the rebuild I'd make sure the mechanic's track record is impeccable. (no pun intended).
I think the rebuild depends on the condition of the rest of the bike. If the body parts are in good shape, I'd consider it. If you find another bike you may want to buy it and use your old one as a parts bike.

I'd buy a newer 750 motor and drop it in. Problem is you'd may have to convert the ignition and fueling as well, but that can be done for less than $2500.

good luck

Looking at at the NADA values for the 1979 V50II, I believe throwing another $2500.00 into her (4.500.00 total investment) would be a waste of money. You would be better off financially to break the bike for parts, and buy a 750 Breva or something. You could probably get one for what you would have invested (total) in the old V50.

Sometimes you just have to give up on a vehicle not to get hurt worse. So, take what you can get for parts, plus what you would have had to invest to get it going, and have a better bike.

I'd agree with John, Don't throw good money after bad. Just move on and part it out on eBay. There are too many newer MG's you can buy whole for just little more than you would spend to fix the old one.

i understand all of your points and appreciate the advice. however i have no interest in new moto guzzi's, i wanted to convert this bike to a cafe style and have already invested $600 in parts.

ive decided to go with the rebuild, though its costly.

so i suppose my final question is this...

would my best bet be to only have worn/broken parts replaced in the engine? or is this asking for trouble? (ive read newer engine components can exert an uneven amount of force on worn parts and can cause them to break). the engine only had 6k on it before it blew, and had the seals replaced in the past few years. id like to do this as cheap as possible, but if its not a good idea, i can pay the price to live with the security of knowing my engine will be running strong for years to come.

mybrainmelted said:
i understand all of your points and appreciate the advice. however i have no interest in new moto guzzi's, i wanted to convert this bike to a cafe style and have already invested $600 in parts.

ive decided to go with the rebuild, though its costly.

so i suppose my final question is this...

would my best bet be to only have worn/broken parts replaced in the engine? or is this asking for trouble? (ive read newer engine components can exert an uneven amount of force on worn parts and can cause them to break). the engine only had 6k on it before it blew, and had the seals replaced in the past few years. id like to do this as cheap as possible, but if its not a good idea, i can pay the price to live with the security of knowing my engine will be running strong for years to come.

Seals and gaskets once disturbed should not be re-used (You can get away re-using valve cover gaskets sometimes). You don't really want to place a used part against a new part unless the used part is in good condition. That is, you may be able to re-use the crank if not damaged or properly reground. Connecting rods may be good. In other words, let a competent mechanic rebuild the engine and leave it up to him/her on which parts may be used or need to be replaced. Condition is the controlling factor.

If the sump is full of bearing shells there has been a catastrophic failure. You'll have to find out why and then address the problem that caused the failure. This alone will not be cheap to do properly, count on dollar figures in the thousands, not hundreds, and you'll still end up with a 32 year old motorbike with old everything else. By the time 32 years rolls around the reading on the odometer means nothing and unless you have a well documented service history you have no idea if the clocks that are on it are original or on their first time around.

You say you have no interest in modern Guzzis but want to 'Cafe' a V50 II? Have you seena V7 Classic, Cafe or even a 'Racer'? It is to all intents and purposes the same motorbike but all the cosmetic work has been done at the factory and it's NEW!!!!

I'd strongly advise AGAINST throwing good money after bad.

Pete

There's a V50 II motor on flea-bay. Swapping out the motor may be the way to go.

Or pick up another V50 and part out the one with the blown motor and sell what you don't need.

You may well spend as much as a new bike to regenerate your old one, but if that's where you're heart is...
I have a V50 (1978) that is having absolutely everything renovated. I also am going for a bit of a cafe look. Yes, I have ridden the Breva 750, the V7 Classic and Cafe Classic, and have thrown a leg over a Racer. All nice bikes but just don't have the agricultural utilitarian feel of the V50. Retro looks does not guarantee retro character.
Oh, and I love my Stelvio NTX as well.

update:

finally got it into the dealer earlier this week. the mechanic said (before tearing it completely apart) that he pulled the oil pan and that there were pieces of rod bearing in it. he told me that to know what happened for certain, itd have to be gone through, but that if it was just rod bearings i could get those replaced since nothing in the cylinder looked damaged... but he recommended i would probably want to get a total rebuild (this is what i get for my idiocy). i still dont know the exact cause of failure, or what the full damage is... it hasnt been pulled out of the bike and split yet.

so if i decide to do this, would it be unwise to request only factory stock parts for the rebuild? he said something about the aftermarket pistons being better quality and 1/3rd of the price... but i was hoping to keep this bike as original as possible, seeing it only has 6,300 miles and is very clean.

should i opt for a rebuild? itll be around $2500 at least... i paid 2k for the bike.
should i buy a used engine off ebay and swap it out?
should i dump the bike for cheap and focus elsewhere?

i really love my moto guzzi and am willing to pay to have it fixed... its just damn hard on my finances.

any feedback is more than appreciated.
If you are sure your mechanic is right about the bearing shells having done something nasty.... then I guess it is only in need of a crank re-grind and new shells. - My guess is the oil ways all need to be flushed-out, new oil filters - and I'd fit new seals as well because it is better to have new than risk one leak after the re-build. Don't let him touch the bores or pistons if possible. Check valves and seats but should be just about run -in after 6K. Same with piston rings. - These engines can do 70K because of the design of bores and pistons. - after-market are OFTEN not so good because they don't have the technology and engine proving testing used by OEM makers... The tiny details in OEM parts make them streets better than the after-market parts without all the OEM refinements. Of course, racing parts and most tuning parts are stronger... but not necessarily better for regular road use. (Shortened lifetimes go with higher stresses of tuned engines).
Hope you got it sorted...
Steamchick

If you are sure your mechanic is right about the bearing shells having done something nasty.... then I guess it is only in need of a crank re-grind and new shells. - My guess is the oil ways all need to be flushed-out, new oil filters - and I'd fit new seals as well because it is better to have new than risk one leak after the re-build. Don't let him touch the bores or pistons if possible. Check valves and seats but should be just about run -in after 6K. Same with piston rings. - These engines can do 70K because of the design of bores and pistons. - after-market are OFTEN not so good because they don't have the technology and engine proving testing used by OEM makers... The tiny details in OEM parts make them streets better than the after-market parts without all the OEM refinements. Of course, racing parts and most tuning parts are stronger... but not necessarily better for regular road use. (Shortened lifetimes go with higher stresses of tuned engines).
Hope you got it sorted...
Steamchick

This is a 10 year old thread and we haven't heard back from the guy. Let's not waste any more time on this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back