• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1993 Cali T3

velo17

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

New to Guzzidom so forgive my ignorance. I am 55 years young and have ridden bikes my whole life, but felt the need for a good tourer that came from a marque that had a long history in both road and race with a good background in innovative technology and didn't want a big BMW/Harley/Japanese bike.

After much searching through various makes from 2006 models backwards I could find nothing that appealed to my wife and I, but after a tip from a mate I have just purchased a 1993 1100EFI California T3, one owner and 13,000km's. It looks to my untrained eye very original with basically no wear to brake disks or any other visible normal-wear spots. Having just ridden it for 130kms I find it a very comfortable and user friendly ride, ample and smooth power, easy handling and just the thing for the sort of touring/general use we wanted it for. Although the exhaust note is subdued it still has a healthy deep sound that we like. Everything works properly although not being able to start it on the sidestand is a tad strange. It came with Guzzi panniers and screen. The footboards are great (reminded me of the unrestored 1919 Douglas I just sold) which along with it's general looks (cream and maroon) gives it a bit of a classic bike look which suits us just fine.

The original owner gave it to his Son-in-law 6 months ago after having hardly used it at all over all those years although he stored it very carefully as is evidenced by the perfect condition of the paint and chrome etc. The chap cleaned and polished it, put new tyres on, did a couple of oil changes and had a service done by our local Guzzi guru, new EFI filter and unit, regulator, indicators, battery and other small items that he though may be worth replacing and rode it twice to experience the ride for himself. His Father-in-law has now told him to sell the bike, and as the poor fellow was just in the middle of a house purchase couldn't keep it - hence my purchase of it.

My motorcycling has always consisted of old British bikes (Velocette's mostly), although I have also bought a new Triumph T100 in the last year, so obviously all this modern EFI/linked brakes stuff is new to me. I do all the work on my own machines where it is feasible and within my skill level.

I would appreciate any hints/tips/advice on how to keep this model in good nick, what to watch out for, improvements etc.
If this question has already been answered can someone point me to where I can access it.

Mick from West Oz

Welcome to the Pleasuredome. You've got a great resource on your doorstep with Mario at Thunderbikes, and the Cali is pretty bulletproof

Peter

It's not a T3. T3's were roundfins and went out of production in about 1979.

It'll be an early P8 equipped 1100 Cali.

As suggested. Talk to Mariop at Thunderbikes in Perth. What mario don't know ain't werth knowin'.

Pete

Thanks for clarifying that Pete. One thing I did notice was that at slightly higher speeds I had a wind-buffeting type effect which felt a little like a shimmy, not uncomfortable but something I have not felt before. Would this be the normal thing and possibly in certain conditions the effect of the barrels hanging out in the breeze?

Re: 1993 Cali fuel taps?

Silly question I suppose, but it does not have "normal" fuel taps, I assume you screw the thimble "up" to shut fuel off?

pete roper said:
It's not a T3. T3's were roundfins and went out of production in about 1979.

It'll be an early P8 equipped 1100 Cali.

As suggested. Talk to Mariop at Thunderbikes in Perth. What mario don't know ain't werth knowin'.

Pete

I don't think the 1100s came out until after a build date of after May 1994 which would make it a 1995. My bet is it is a 1000cc Cal III. Somebody may have put on 1100 side covers to confuse the issue.

Re: 1993 Cali

any easy way of telling capacity? Eng No is VY050606

Nah not at all, as the sidecovers just say "California 111" I think the guy just made a mistake and that the bike is probably 1000 after all. The more I ride it the more I enjoy it (another 100k's today) - great bike. Now if I can just figure out how to fit the Givi (Guzzi badged) pannier mounts to it!

velo17 said:
Nah not at all, as the sidecovers just say "California 111" I think the guy just made a mistake and that the bike is probably 1000 after all. The more I ride it the more I enjoy it (another 100k's today) - great bike. Now if I can just figure out how to fit the Givi (Guzzi badged) pannier mounts to it!

The 1993 Cali had mounts from the factory. An adapter to the frame (big lump of metal) and the standard Givi wing rack. The adapter plates are part numbers 29 48 14 60 (LH Plate) and 29 48 13 60 (RH Plate) You can get the wing racks from Givi http://www.givi.co.uk/Fitment-kits/Wingrack/Wingrack Of course you will need to find hardware of the appropriate length and thread, or you can order it with the plates.

Re: 1993 Cali panniers

I have all the fittings, but no idea on how or where they fit. Taking a look at the link to Givi you added has given me a good hint. Thanks for the tip, I'll find out if the original owner still has the instruction sheet along with the owners manual and log book.

Re: 1993 Cali T3 panniers

Brilliant - thanks John, that's a great help.

Mick T

Back