• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1998 EV11

Hawghauler

Cruisin' Guzzisti
I have become interested in adding a another bike to the stable. I have an Indian as my main steed, keep a T5 at my sons for occasional visits but feel the itch for another Guzzi. I am electonically looking at what appears to be a cherry Cali with under 7K on the clock. While it appears perfect, I don't mind working on one to make it perfect. Age and lack of use inflict their own pain, I'll work through that. I am thinking of mounting a hack as a project, never had one of those. I am going to the states on R&R in January so we shall see, will keep you posted. Those darn Guzzi's get under your skin. I need another bike like a hole in the head, but moderation is for monks.

The 98 EV s a good machine. It does have the P8 ECU which isn't shall we say an optimum design, but it works. It would make an excellent base for a side car rig.

Thanks John, can I assume there are improvements for the ecu?

A PC III can work with the P8, but if you leave it stock, there isn't much need to do that in my opinion. The 98 uses extra relays for the coils, and the P8 is a pretty primitive ECU by today's standards. I think it was used on the first CAIIIs to have fuel injection around 1990 or so if I remember correctly (26 + year old computer design). New maps can be installed to the P8, but you have to take it apart and replace an eprom to do that.

I personally would stay away from the older EVs with the P8 ECU, and look for a '00-02 EV with the 15M ECU. The '03 went to the hydraulic lifter motor, which had many recalls/updates to resolve premature failure (so I don't like them personally), but seems that those updated are decent and some even have big miles on them without issue. '04s seem to be without recalls/issues and I believe '04 is the last year for the EV-T. The Vintage arrived in '06 which went to a 15RC with 02-sensor (still very well proven/solid electronics).

I am not foolish enough to disagree with Todd or John, whose combined knowledge of Guzzis is awesome, but I will add a comment based on my own experience with my 1998 EV.

I bought it as a leftover in August 2000. Have 101K miles on it.

The only real issue I've had -- as in "left me stranded" in BFE, N.C. -- was self-inflicted, i.e., a corroded ignition switch, with said corrosion the product of over-washing. I now use "products" instead of H2O.

With particular respect to the ECU, have had zero issues. And, when serviced properly, especially TB's sync'ed, it's fuel delivery, while not as linear and smooth as my Griso -- which is virtually flawless -- is quite fine. I routinely get 39-43 mpg, rain, shine, loafing or cooking.

Now, all of that said, and based upon interested observation over the years since, I support what Todd said WRT the merits of later Tontis. Mine has been a joy and remains so, but having recently ridden an '03 hydro (reworked) EVT, I'd jump one of those over an earlier model in a heartbeat if otherwise a good deal and trustworthy PO.

Buon Natale,

Bill

As Bill said, the 98 is a good bike for it's day and it will provide good service. I owned an 03 that didn't get the recall on the lifters on cam until after I sold it (over 50K miles on it). I talked to the shop that did it and the cam and lifters had not appreciable wear and it wasn't really needed, but it was a factory recall. Some of the 03s had the problem, some didn't.

Thanks guys, I'll be home in January and take a look at it. I might get the shakes like a jonesing crack addict and buy it anyway. With my T5 living up north, I need a Guzzi in the barn. A man can't be expected to live with just an Indian.

I suspect you are like most Guzzi owners in that you like the uniqueness, meaning you don't see to many on the road and the close knit community that comes with owning a Guzzi? I too love my Guzzis, I currently have two, but may I make a suggestion? If you don't want high tech, you do want a even closer knit community that Guzzi owners and especially want a hack on the side, go look at a Ural. Don't laugh. You have one of, if not the best dealer in the US, Holopaw Ural in St. Cloud Fl. I have a '15 GU and love it. Is it crude? Is it out dated? Absolutely! But I love it. I have ridden all the way down to 5 degree once and regularly in the teens. Do yourself a favor and just check them out. You can get a used one pretty cheap. Here is mine. IMG 1051

The Ural is interesting. Having a shaft driven hack would be a last. How is yours holding up as far as reliability?

So far so good but I have only had it about 4 months now and personally put a 1000 kms on it for a total of 4200 kms. Some issues are the low fuel light doesn't work, no biggie, no ones does and I always keep fuel in the jerry on the hack and it doesn't like to start below 20 degrees with 20/50w in it so I changed to 5/40w for the winter. This thing has the crudest fuel injection I have ever seen, no cold start circuit so it idles the same rpm no matter what the temp is. the previous owner installed a EJK on it and I have not played with it but it runs fine. I don't know what it would run like it without it though. Here is a quote from a very experienced guy from the Ural forum...

"Of course, part of the thrill of owning a Ural is the knowledge that catastrophic failure is always a just heartbeat away."

Check out the Soviet Steeds forum, great guys.

Back