Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

2 possible issues with my new Stelvio

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by Stella, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Stella

Stella Tuned and Synch'ed

I have a new 2012 Stelvio NTX with about 650km's (400miles), I have noticed 2 things that may or may not be normal,I am new to Moto Guzzi so I'm not familiar with all the sounds they make.
    First is a sound very much like detonation when accelerating hard through 4500-6000 rpm
    I always use only brand name premium fuel as recommended.
    The 2nd is a "groaning" sound from the clutch at engagement ,but only when it's cold.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated as the closest dealer that could help is 8hrs away.
    Thanks in advance.

2. blakebird

blakebird Tuned and Synch'ed

The cold clutch sound is normal.

3. brlawson

brlawson Cruisin' Guzzisti

4. Toadride

Toadride Cruisin' Guzzisti

If my gal didn't moan, I'd stop buying her expensive shoes. :p

5. zx800

zx800 Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

There is a dealer in Sudbury.

6. Stella

Thanks guys,much appreciated ,looks like I don't have to worry about the clutch noise, but I'm disappointed that a brand new bike has detonation issues !!

7. Stella

Thanks, that's where I bought my Stella, but they're new at this game.

8. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Congrats and welcome to the Forum and Famiglia!
    Every bike/motor is different across the board, regardless of manufacturer. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes you are not. Clutch noise is common, only when cold.
    If your bike has been set up properly (most aren't) at the dealer, most running issues will lessen. Euro3 emission regs run the 8V engines *very* lean... it is not the factory that chooses this.
    That said, I have several solutions to resolve this, see both GT-Rx ECU and Power Commander threads in the >GT Performance Products< section. Contact me direct e-mail with any questions; Todd at GuzziTech.com

9. Stella

Thanks Todd
    I have learned quite a bit so far and have much more to learn yet.
    I will do some reading and hopefully get this detonation issue resolved,looks like you have a handle on this.
    Thanks again, Rod :)

10. Stella

Bike is totally stock,looks like the clutch noise is normal,makes sense ,cold metal has much less friction.
    Thanks for the input

11. northernguzzi

northernguzzi Just got it firing!

keep in mind your running a dry clutch and not wet disc system like those on kawi honda etc. where engine and trani oil are all in one. when you dump the clutch the engine should be warm and there should be enough torque to take full engagement of the clutch. The chatter you may here is from dragging the clutch at low rpm, something that is normal operation on wet clutch systems.
    I don't know what the term you used means as far as engine noise - but your running heavier oil in your part of the country for this time of year. If factory oil is still in the engine run the bike hotter/harder for another 500km and see how it sounds. Run the engine between 4500-5000 in 5th @ 110 and forget about using 6th gear. This the sweet spot for the bike and you'll notice allot of change over the next 500km.
    If your rding season last into the first 1500km when the first oil change is slated along with a valve seat adjustment ask your dealer to used a semi or full synthetic blend oil with a 5w/50 or 10w/50 grade rating. Ask to replace your oil filter with a Napa Gold or Donaldson. If you need numbers cross the Fram 6022 to the Napa. You'll notice a even greater change .

12. Toadride

Toadride Cruisin' Guzzisti

After seeing this thread I brought it up to the tech who just did my service and he is totally familiar with the clutch groan. Mine is pretty well always there but perhaps that is because I can't remember riding in warm temps, it's been cool and raining for so long now. For sure, she groans big time on takeoff right now but both me and my tech are of the same opinion that this big, single plate, car like clutch will prolly outlast the bike so I am living with the groan. Besides, a clutch removal/inspection is an engine drop job and something you just don't want to do unless totally necessary. :D

13. korskov

korskov Just got it firing!

I was having the groaning sound too and the service guy said it seemed to be normal on the Stelvio. The bad news for me was that just shy of 6k miles one of the springs in the friction plate came out of it's slot and left me stranded. He also showed me where two of the other springs were wanting to get out of their slots too. He said that the replacement plate has been updated.

carl

14. WayneOrwig

WayneOrwig GT Reference

That is a new one. Never heard of such thing.

15. korskov

korskov Just got it firing!

I have not heard the groaning sound since I got the bike back.

carl

16. sempervee

sempervee Tuned and Synch'ed

I thought the new motor and dual Ox sensors did away with the detonation issues and fueling was spot on? Thats one of the reasons I offed my 07 Norge..

17. GTM®

GTM® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Air/oil cooled motors are on the extinction list because of emissions regs. BMW just succumbed. The new fueling is decent, but saying spot-on with no other issues would be a huge leap.

18. gasser

gasser Tuned and Synch'ed

I read this post with interest. I have a 1200 8V Sport and after only a very low mileage, the bike started making detonation/pinking type noises. Took it into the dealer who diagnosed that the exhaust outlet pipe that comes out of the exhaust collector box, prior to the end can, was loose causing a metallic rattle which only happened when under load. For all the world this sounded just like detonation. It was a manufacturing defect. The collector box was replaced under warranty, noise gone. Not sure to what degree the system on the Stelvio differs but it may be worth checking.