• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2003 California Stone fuel pump removal

fmguzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi, I just picked up a this 2003 California in a not running condition. Low miles. I can get it to pop with ether shot in the cylinders so I'm pretty confident it is fuel related. The previous owner wasn't givng up any information but the bike seems like it was stored in a very damp/wet area or was in a flood. The inside of the tank looks like crap so I want to boil it out and creme the inside. I am assuming this year bike has the gas filter in the tank on the fuel pump. Question, oncw you remove all the retaining bolts on the fuel pump from the tank how the heck does the pump come off? Are the Italians magicians when they put this thing together? I tried rotating the pump around the best I could but was not able to get it out thru the opening. Help please..

FM

Some 2003s have the pump inside. You are just (un)lucky I guess. It is a real pain to get it out. Just keep trying, it will make it. Sometimes the fuel filter is out of position. If so cut the zip tie to make removal easier. Also be careful not to damage the fuel sending unit. They seem to be a bit delicate. Good luck, it will come out eventually. BTW, it is even more fun to get it back in.

I forgot to mention. Even though the gasket is intended to be re-usable, I like to use a new one each time. It is such a PITA to get the unit out and back in you don't want to do it just to replace a leaking gasket. For the CARC and 750s I will re-use the gasket since the pump is much easier to remove and install, but as you are finding out the Tonti bikes are very difficult.

Thanks for the tip. So I tried again but this time I clipped the zip tie and worked the filter out first giving me a little more room to work with. The good news is I got it out. The bad is I buggered up one of the plastic fuel lines on the sharp edge of the tank opening. Guess I will go to my local NAPA store and see if they have fuel submersible line. As far as the clamps go I was just going to use the common stainless mini screw type if I couldn't find the factory crimp type easily. I really don't see how the screw type could come loose in the tank anyway. I hooked up the pump up to the bikes' harness for power and submerged it in some kerosene to check its function and flush it out. seems to work fine pumping kerosene right thru the filter. I found water in the kero I captured so I'm sure it is the reason the bike was not starting. I would assume there is water still in the fuel lines running to the injectors and would like to flush them out with some fresh fuel. I don't know how easy it is to remove the lines/injectors. Do you think if I reconnected the fuel pump assy and started cranking fresh fuel into the system it would eventually pump the water in the lines out thru the injectors, (perhaps remove the plugs and keep cranking), or is dis-assembly the only solution? Thoughts appreciated.

My recommendation is to get the fuel lines from a Guzzi dealer. That way you know they are correct. Do a search on this site for "oetiker clamps". You will fine plenty of information on them, and the only type of screw clamp that is a suitable replacement (one type is, one isn't). As for clearing the fuel lines, disassembly is best, but a real pain as the plumbing is very tight. Putting fresh fuel and a little dry gas in the tank and pumping it through should clear the system. You may still have some water in the fuel filter and pump as well. Good luck.

Awl-right!, Thanks to your tips John my newly acquired "Stoner" is purring like a mountain lion. Once apart I loaded up the gas tank with nut/bolts and kept alternating between shaking the hell out of it and pressure washing the inside the best I could. This removed pretty much all the rust scale in the tank. Air pressure died it the best I could, re-installed the fuel pump ( without the filter, bypassed using the correct submersible hose. made installing the pump so much easier), added a bottle of dry-gas and a cup of kerosene into the tank and sloshed it around. so the tank would rust up again right away. The next day I put gas in the tank, installed the gas filter on the "outside" of the tank. I strapped it to the center frame tube using a bracket I made. This way if any garbage comes out of the tank I can change the filter easily. I then hooked up the electrical connections to the pump and cycled the ignition switch on/off about 6 times with the output of the gas filter going into a container so I could be sure I was pumping clean fuel. Once sure, I then connected the fuel filter to the fuel line leading to the injectors. Topped the fuel tank off with fresh fuel and blasted some starting fluid into the air box. Took about 4-5 times with the ether to work out any water or bad fuel that was left in the injector lines but after that both cylinders caught and the bike runs like new. It was a nice day for a change here in NY weather wise. Cleaned and waxed her up and took her for a short spin. Runs great!

Thanks again. FM

Back