Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

2007 Breva 1100 stopped working

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Ernest Megerdechian, Dec 31, 2020.

?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This poll will close on Jul 31, 2021 at 2:19 AM.
  1. wiring upgrade?

100.0%
  2. Battery or Starter upgrades?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ernest Megerdechian

Ernest Megerdechian Just got it firing!

Hi everyone, before I mention my issue I just wanted to say what kind of a company makes such problematic motorcycle and basically leaves its followers /customers without support. Of the 4 years that I've had my 2007 Breva 1100, I have only had the pleasure of riding it about 200 miles. It's been sitting for the longest time. The problem began when I would go for a short ride, park and not be able to start again. The last time it was on the rode back in 2018. My wife and I had to push it back home one mile. It seems the Breva 1200 is the worse. My 1100 has a starting issue where if my memory serves me right, it kept burning the #30 fuse. I recall removing the starter to test the solenoid and it worked fine. I was told by somebody to upgrade the battery wires and somewhere online there was a diagram that I can no longer find.
    I welcome anyone with suggestions please. I really want to get it started and turn it into as reliable as possible. I wonder how the newer 2V and 4V Cuzzi's are.

Moto1.jpg
    Moto2.jpg

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Start by having a known good battery and good ground behind the starter cover. Then follow this thread. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/modern-no-start-issue-solution.4908/ I have an 1100 Breva and have had no issues with it at all. Over 35000 miles with no problems. If you are burning fuses, then there may be an issue in that circuit. A schematic for your bike is in the downloads section. Also if in southern California, see Todd at his shop. Select the Service tab above for information.

3. Kevin.NZ

Kevin.NZ Cruisin' Guzzisti

I have a 2007 Breva 1100 since new , it now has 90,000Kms. I did the "starter wiring mod" very earlier as i did have issues with starting but since then it has never let me down.

4. tobinh

tobinh Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

if you've been struggling with this for four years - if indeed you've been trying to solve it at all? - it's time to give up.

take it to a pro.

5. Kevin.NZ

Drain the fuel and replace it

6. Nordicnorm

Nordicnorm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I stepped into your space in 2013. Today I absolutely love my '06 B-11. 55K miles
    Google MPH cycle in Houston. Order the Guzzi wire mod for the starter from Mike Haven. It's small potatoes. It is a simple plug and play wire mod with one new connection (fused) to the pos. battery terminal.
    Since your bike has been sitting so much (just like mine, for the same reason) pull your injectors and have them cleaned by a pro diesel or gas injector shop (they are held in by one screw and 2 o-rings, just a press fit, so pull hard and they come out).
    Make sure your ground behind the starter cover is snug, your battery terminals are snug, and your battery is healthy (load tested!)
    2 people had left my bike for dead, I got a bargain, but it took some research. Trust the people on this site, a contribution here is worth much more than joining the MGNOC (sorry, I had to say that).
    If you persist, your relationship with the Breva will be long and rewarding.
    Hope to hear from you again.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Brett, john zibell and GTM® like this.
  7. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque Scott Mastrocinque GT Famiglia

Please explain what you mean by “without support”? I don’t understand what you mean.

Moto Guzzi makes awesome motorcycles. I’ve owned and ridden them my whole life. They are good machines.

It sounds to me, that you are upset because you are not a competent mechanic. That is not Moto Guzzi’s fault.

The starting issue is easily rectified and is well documented on the site here.

I see this situation all the time, where owners of all kinds of marques get upset and frustrated that their motorcycle has a problem. They are machines and machines will break and they will need service and repair and the plain truth is that almost any individual who picks up a wrench, fancies themselves a mechanic, but it’s just not true. Sometimes you will need an experienced wrench and you have to bite the bullet and pay the money.

You can learn though, but it will not happen in 25 seconds of a quick read. You need to identify the issues with your bike and RESEARCH the proven solutions and answers contained within the forums here.

Extensive reading is your friend here.

I will tell you that your bike has Startus Interuptus. It’s easily fixed. However, Moto Guzzi motorcycles do not like old batteries and weak electrical supply. Your bike sitting in a parking garage like that for 4 years, most definitely has a bad battery.

Get the kit from MPH, install it as it is simple. Get your battery “load tested” at an major auto parts store for free. Replace it if it fails the test.

Your starting issues will go away with the proper repair.

8. Kevin.NZ

From memory the reason the 30A fuse blows (if you haven't done the starter mod) is when you press the start button the start relay stays held in by the ECU for about 5 sec activating the solenoid, the circuit for this is via the ignition switch, with associated volts drop, you don't have to keep your finger on the start button. Once the bike starts and gets to about 400 rpm a signal is sent to the ECU and the starter relay drops out. The problem is that up to 40A can flow in this circuit via a very low resistance coil in the solenoid, if the solenoid doesn't operate in a split second the fuse blows. Before i did the mod, to stop my fuse blowing I would hit the kill button if the bike didn't start after 2 seconds, this dropped out the starter relay and stopped the engine.

9. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

Bit confused about a 30A fuse blowing. Is this fuse B which is usually 15A, and someone has replaced it with a 30A one at some time or are we talking about a different fuse?
    As said above, the starter wiring mod has been well documented here and in many other places on the internet.
    It does seem odd to me that someone perseveres with a fault for so many years, seemingly doing little about it, then complains about Guzzi making rubbish motorcycles.

10. scottmastrocinque

Main Fuses. Page 80, Breva 1100 Users Manual, located in the downloads section.

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 5.58.53 PM.png

Moto-Uno likes this.
  11. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Yes, it's fuse B that blows as per Kevin.NZ's description above. Depending on the model, sometimes the power to the starter relay via this fuse goes through the ignition switch compounding the problem. The first thing I would recommend is to wire the starter solenoid yellow wire directly to positive of the battery, via a 20A additional in-line fuse. Fuse B can be increased to 20A as well if necessary.

I highly recommend you do a search for "Startus Interuptus" on this forum for a gold mine of information.

12. scottmastrocinque

The only 30A fuses are the main fuses.

I urge extreme caution not to change out any of the other fuses for higher amperage fuses. It is a surefire recipe for a wiring melt or fire.

The specified amperage values on a circuit leg by Moto Guzzi are correct and are not selected randomly nor should they be altered.

If there is a problem with the fuse blowing, fix the problem causing the fuse to blow. Never raise the current carrying capacity of the circuit.

That is my advice.

john zibell likes this.
  13. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

The original poster hasn't been back for awhile. I suggest refraining from further posting until we hear from him.

Brian UK likes this.