• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Breva 1100 stopped working

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ernest Megerdechian

Just got it firing!
Hi everyone, before I mention my issue I just wanted to say what kind of a company makes such problematic motorcycle and basically leaves its followers /customers without support. Of the 4 years that I've had my 2007 Breva 1100, I have only had the pleasure of riding it about 200 miles. It's been sitting for the longest time. The problem began when I would go for a short ride, park and not be able to start again. The last time it was on the rode back in 2018. My wife and I had to push it back home one mile. It seems the Breva 1200 is the worse. My 1100 has a starting issue where if my memory serves me right, it kept burning the #30 fuse. I recall removing the starter to test the solenoid and it worked fine. I was told by somebody to upgrade the battery wires and somewhere online there was a diagram that I can no longer find.
I welcome anyone with suggestions please. I really want to get it started and turn it into as reliable as possible. I wonder how the newer 2V and 4V Cuzzi's are.

Update: My apologies for being so frustrated and angry at guzzi at the time and then disappearing do to family emergencies. Did the starter to battery wiring upgrade early 2021 and just last weekend purchased a new battery and it started. The bike is currently registered as non-operational. Will be updating the registration and giving it a service at a place that came highly recommended in West Los Angeles. Thank you so much everyone.

Moto1
Moto2

Last edited:
Start by having a known good battery and good ground behind the starter cover. Then follow this thread. https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/modern-no-start-issue-solution.4908/ I have an 1100 Breva and have had no issues with it at all. Over 35000 miles with no problems. If you are burning fuses, then there may be an issue in that circuit. A schematic for your bike is in the downloads section. Also if in southern California, see Todd at his shop. Select the Service tab above for information.

I stepped into your space in 2013. Today I absolutely love my '06 B-11. 55K miles
Google MPH cycle in Houston. Order the Guzzi wire mod for the starter from Mike Haven. It's small potatoes. It is a simple plug and play wire mod with one new connection (fused) to the pos. battery terminal.
Since your bike has been sitting so much (just like mine, for the same reason) pull your injectors and have them cleaned by a pro diesel or gas injector shop (they are held in by one screw and 2 o-rings, just a press fit, so pull hard and they come out).
Make sure your ground behind the starter cover is snug, your battery terminals are snug, and your battery is healthy (load tested!)
2 people had left my bike for dead, I got a bargain, but it took some research. Trust the people on this site, a contribution here is worth much more than joining the MGNOC (sorry, I had to say that).
If you persist, your relationship with the Breva will be long and rewarding.
Hope to hear from you again.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, before I mention my issue I just wanted to say what kind of a company makes such problematic motorcycle and basically leaves its followers /customers without support...

Please explain what you mean by “without support”? I don’t understand what you mean.

Moto Guzzi makes awesome motorcycles. I’ve owned and ridden them my whole life. They are good machines.

It sounds to me, that you are upset because you are not a competent mechanic. That is not Moto Guzzi’s fault.

The starting issue is easily rectified and is well documented on the site here.

I see this situation all the time, where owners of all kinds of marques get upset and frustrated that their motorcycle has a problem. They are machines and machines will break and they will need service and repair and the plain truth is that almost any individual who picks up a wrench, fancies themselves a mechanic, but it’s just not true. Sometimes you will need an experienced wrench and you have to bite the bullet and pay the money.

You can learn though, but it will not happen in 25 seconds of a quick read. You need to identify the issues with your bike and RESEARCH the proven solutions and answers contained within the forums here.

Extensive reading is your friend here.

I will tell you that your bike has Startus Interuptus. It’s easily fixed. However, Moto Guzzi motorcycles do not like old batteries and weak electrical supply. Your bike sitting in a parking garage like that for 4 years, most definitely has a bad battery.

Get the kit from MPH, install it as it is simple. Get your battery “load tested” at an major auto parts store for free. Replace it if it fails the test.

Your starting issues will go away with the proper repair.

From memory the reason the 30A fuse blows (if you haven't done the starter mod) is when you press the start button the start relay stays held in by the ECU for about 5 sec activating the solenoid, the circuit for this is via the ignition switch, with associated volts drop, you don't have to keep your finger on the start button. Once the bike starts and gets to about 400 rpm a signal is sent to the ECU and the starter relay drops out. The problem is that up to 40A can flow in this circuit via a very low resistance coil in the solenoid, if the solenoid doesn't operate in a split second the fuse blows. Before i did the mod, to stop my fuse blowing I would hit the kill button if the bike didn't start after 2 seconds, this dropped out the starter relay and stopped the engine.

Bit confused about a 30A fuse blowing. Is this fuse B which is usually 15A, and someone has replaced it with a 30A one at some time or are we talking about a different fuse?
As said above, the starter wiring mod has been well documented here and in many other places on the internet.
It does seem odd to me that someone perseveres with a fault for so many years, seemingly doing little about it, then complains about Guzzi making rubbish motorcycles.

Bit confused about a 30A fuse blowing. Is this fuse B which is usually 15A, and someone has replaced it with a 30A one at some time or are we talking about a different fuse?
As said above, the starter wiring mod has been well documented here and in many other places on the internet.
It does seem odd to me that someone perseveres with a fault for so many years, seemingly doing little about it, then complains about Guzzi making rubbish motorcycles.

Main Fuses. Page 80, Breva 1100 Users Manual, located in the downloads section.

Screen Shot 2021 01 18 at 55853 PM

Yes, it's fuse B that blows as per Kevin.NZ's description above. Depending on the model, sometimes the power to the starter relay via this fuse goes through the ignition switch compounding the problem. The first thing I would recommend is to wire the starter solenoid yellow wire directly to positive of the battery, via a 20A additional in-line fuse. Fuse B can be increased to 20A as well if necessary.

I highly recommend you do a search for "Startus Interuptus" on this forum for a gold mine of information.

The only 30A fuses are the main fuses.

I urge extreme caution not to change out any of the other fuses for higher amperage fuses. It is a surefire recipe for a wiring melt or fire.

The specified amperage values on a circuit leg by Moto Guzzi are correct and are not selected randomly nor should they be altered.

If there is a problem with the fuse blowing, fix the problem causing the fuse to blow. Never raise the current carrying capacity of the circuit.

That is my advice.

Please explain what you mean by “without support”? I don’t understand what you mean.

Moto Guzzi makes awesome motorcycles. I’ve owned and ridden them my whole life. They are good machines.

It sounds to me, that you are upset because you are not a competent mechanic. That is not Moto Guzzi’s fault.

The starting issue is easily rectified and is well documented on the site here.

I see this situation all the time, where owners of all kinds of marques get upset and frustrated that their motorcycle has a problem. They are machines and machines will break and they will need service and repair and the plain truth is that almost any individual who picks up a wrench, fancies themselves a mechanic, but it’s just not true. Sometimes you will need an experienced wrench and you have to bite the bullet and pay the money.

You can learn though, but it will not happen in 25 seconds of a quick read. You need to identify the issues with your bike and RESEARCH the proven solutions and answers contained within the forums here.

Extensive reading is your friend here.

I will tell you that your bike has Startus Interuptus. It’s easily fixed. However, Moto Guzzi motorcycles do not like old batteries and weak electrical supply. Your bike sitting in a parking garage like that for 4 years, most definitely has a bad battery.

Get the kit from MPH, install it as it is simple. Get your battery “load tested” at an major auto parts store for free. Replace it if it fails the test.

Your starting issues will go away with the proper repair.
Hi John, My apologies for my very long overdue response. By no support, I was referring to the lack of technical support on behalf of Moto Guzzi of North American and Piaggio of North America. The Sherman Oaks, CA dealer told me their mechanic is the best but they were never able to figure out the issue. When I showed them a copy of the Guzzi-Tech forum recommendations they got upset. Never went back! This was my first bike and something attracted me to it at the dealer in Thousand Oaks, CA. It was used with 27K miles. I didn't take any of my friends who've had years of experience as LAPD motor cops. I laugh about it looking back but I only had about 200 miles of freeway riding when I stopped at a local park and it never started again. Not having moto towing on my insurance, my sweet wife and I ended up pushing it to our apartment a mile away in the rain. Due to work, I didn't have much time to devote but within the past year I was able to change the positive wire, spark plugs and oil change. I used the kit from MPH.
At the time when I posted my issue I was very angry and I know better not to post when in a bad state of mind. :)

Within the past year while parked in the garage tucked in a corner it was vandalized. They tore off the right storage case and broke the end of the right plastic panel cover. I have a 2nd post asking if anyone knows of a place in the states where they sell guzzi parts. I just started looking for part# GU05443530 as of last week and haven't seen any used ones.

Thank you so much,
Ernie

Main Fuses. Page 80, Breva 1100 Users Manual, located in the downloads section.

View attachment 21369
Thank you so much Scott. As of yesterday I was able to start it and let let it get warm. Turned it off and then on again when cold. It worked fine after the positive wire upgrade and new battery. It's currently registered as non-op. The real test will be when I start riding it again. Next time I will take it to a pro. someone had recommended Melrose Moto. I'm hoping for the best. Thank you.

Hello Brian, I did the started wiring modification during the pandemic. I was finally able to spend time on the bike last weekend. Purchased a new battery and it started. The bike is registered as non-op so when I update the registration will do the road test.

Also Brian, you're absolutely correct. After I posted my issue desperately looking for answers, we had one family emergency after another that continued through 2020 ending in December of 2021. The past 5 months have been working from home trying to keep up and this was my first chance to revisit my moto guzzi. My apologies to you and all the kind gentlemen who posted their advice.

We also moved in December and when pulled the bike out of the garage noticed the right side was vandalized and parts broken. Breva1100 3 Breva1100 1

Back