• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2007 Griso-Lost power and will not start

Damn it Janet

Just got it firing!
My 2007 1100 Griso with 44000 miles lost power while riding on a highway. I have several Dash board codes, which jump around, two ECU 54 an 56 and also APMG0022
I was on a trip from North Carolina to Maine. It rained the first night of camping in WV. Service light came on and I ignored it for a while since it has turned off on its own in the past when it dry's up. I cleared the codes after riding a few hours. The code remained off for a while, but eventually came back on. Stopped for the evening, cleared the codes and once again it rained. The next morning the codes came back on and I could not clear them. The Griso was running fine. I continued on my way for another 200 miles or so ignoring the codes. Stopped for fuel and decided to jump on the hwy/slab it to make up some time in PA. Traveled for another 100 miles when the Griso lost power at a high speed. I coasted to a stop and since then the Griso will crank, but will not turn over.

I switched out the speedo cable to the back wheel, but it did not help. I took off the dash and the connector do not appear to be corroded and I do not have condensation. No spark, but replaced the inter and outer spark plugs last year. The battery is fine.

Yesterday, I contacted Carmo Electronics and awaiting a response.

Any thoughts - Ideas of what could be wrong?

My theory is always basics first. Pull, clean and spray with deoxit all relays and fuses. If the relays are original I just put in new 5 prong ones in all so I can just rotate forward to test. Remove the battery terminals and ground on the block and clean. Flush the ignition switch with electric cleaner. Next would be to check it for broken wires.

That vintage Griso is succeptable to water in the ECU connections. Also if the ECU loses the ground connection (seperate wire on the side) it may mean new ECU time. Be advised the ECU connectors are the latching type so be careful with them as the pins are small and delicate. Hopefully cleaning all connectors as vagrant suggested my fix your issue.

Hi,

It's your crankshaft position sensor (aka Engine RPM sensor, phase sensor). It's fried, I'd bet money on it.

This is why you have:

1. No spark
2. Engine will not fire over because the timing trigger is shot, so no timed spark.

3. A third indicator will be crank the engine, and smell the exhaust pipe. You will smell the strong smell of unburnt gas.

In the unlikely event that you smell the exhaust pipe after cranking a few times, (get down there and smell deeply) and you smell NO GAS, then the fuel filter inside of the tank has ruptured and is no longer sending fuel into the injectors. This would not explain your loss of spark though, but it would not be the first time I have seen 2 issues rear their head at the exact same time. I hope not.

Screen Shot 2022 06 28 at 45813 PM

Also, there is another post about this.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I'm with Scott, or the fuel filter came apart in the fuel tank (not related to the error codes you are getting). If either, I stock both if you need them quickly.

TAH- DAH- the 2007 Griso is back on the road again.
You guys nailed it. Thank you so much for responding.

I started with electronic cleaner and checked the fuses one more time under the seat. The service light remained on and the Griso still would not fire. I moved down to the left side -and noticed the sensor to the kick stand was no longer fastened to the frame and coating around the wires was melted. I corrected it, but still no change with the service light or firing.

I Loosened the tank, so I could access the electric connectors and to locate the RPM sensor. I started unfastening the connections one at a time to clean them and bumped the RPM sensor (I didn't know it was the one I was looking for) and bingo the sensor was not connected at all. I gave it a little spray and fastened it together. Turned on the Griso, service lights still on and thought ((*^(*)%%, but hit the starter and whooo hooo it started. ECU code 56 was gone but ECU code 54 and dash codes still remained. I completed the cleaning and put the tank back in position. I grabbed my helmet, road it out of the garage with the service light still on and about 50 feet down the road the Service light turned off. I went for a short 30 mile ride. The Griso ran perfectly and the lights remained off.

Thanks again for all your knowledge - Janet

Back