Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

2009 Griso - suddenly, smooth running to coughing and hiccups ...

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by Nut4Griso, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Nut4Griso

Nut4Griso Just got it firing!

On the very last ride of the season last year, I'm entering the local interstate highway, accelerating rapidly from about 45mph to close to 80mph ... very smooth, very strong pull from the Guzzi twin.

Suddenly, the smooth running Griso begins to "cough" "studder" and becomes a patient seemingly gasping for ... air? fuel? both? She will start and run very rough. When riding, the higher the RPMs the more she gasps for power... lots of exhaust backfiring...

Well, spring has arrived and the winter motorcycle gods did not miraculously cure my Italian mistress during the cold winter months.

Scheduled to arrive at the shop on Tues morning.

My non-mechanical mind, always in need of help, is thinking:

1. Fuel filter failure (happen to a DUC Monster of mine - same symptoms)
    2. Bad fuel (the fuel was not recent nor had it been sitting for long period of time)
    3. 02 sensor issue (checked connections, seem to be fine)
    4. ___________________?????

Any other suggestions for this non mechanical-minded Guzzi rider???

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Could be many things, from clogged or partially split furl filter, bad gas to a faulty sensor. I'm hoping you are taking to a shop that has Guzzi experience.

3. Nut4Griso

Yep. Local Guzzi dealer in Kansas City ... RENO's ....

4. marcsiry

marcsiry Tuned and Synch'ed

Could be intermittent spark as well, especially with backfiring... unburnt fuel from a non-detonation event entering the hot headers...check for a loose or frayed wire, a bum plug, or replace the stock spark plug caps with the improved models linked elsewhere on this forum?

5. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

I am going with the fuel. You can kill almost all of your initial guesses by draining the tank, installing a new all metal fuel filter, and looking for crud in the tank while you are at it.

6. contractor20

contractor20 Cruisin' Guzzisti

Check that drain pipe around the cap , runs out the back of the tank. Notorious for blocking and the symptoms are a good match

7. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

upload_2015-3-13_14-28-33.png

8. Nut4Griso

Just picked up the Guzzi ...

Spark plugs. Yep, spark plugs...

I was surprised at the suddenness of the problem, and spark plugs being the cause. But, what do I know?!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  9. andyals

andyals Tuned and Synch'ed

I once experienced identical symptoms on a Yamaha.
    After much head scratching, it turned out to be one of the HT leads that had broken down, causing an arc.
    Easy enough thing to diagnose.
    Just wrap electrical insulating tape around where the plug cap inserts into the HT lead, and test ride it.

PS, sorry, I see the diagnosis was plugs.
    I was close I guess.