• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2009 Griso - suddenly, smooth running to coughing and hiccups ...

Nut4Griso

Just got it firing!
On the very last ride of the season last year, I'm entering the local interstate highway, accelerating rapidly from about 45mph to close to 80mph ... very smooth, very strong pull from the Guzzi twin.

Suddenly, the smooth running Griso begins to "cough" "studder" and becomes a patient seemingly gasping for ... air? fuel? both? She will start and run very rough. When riding, the higher the RPMs the more she gasps for power... lots of exhaust backfiring...

Well, spring has arrived and the winter motorcycle gods did not miraculously cure my Italian mistress during the cold winter months.

Scheduled to arrive at the shop on Tues morning.

My non-mechanical mind, always in need of help, is thinking:

1. Fuel filter failure (happen to a DUC Monster of mine - same symptoms)
2. Bad fuel (the fuel was not recent nor had it been sitting for long period of time)
3. 02 sensor issue (checked connections, seem to be fine)
4. ___________________?????

Any other suggestions for this non mechanical-minded Guzzi rider???

Could be many things, from clogged or partially split furl filter, bad gas to a faulty sensor. I'm hoping you are taking to a shop that has Guzzi experience.

Could be intermittent spark as well, especially with backfiring... unburnt fuel from a non-detonation event entering the hot headers...check for a loose or frayed wire, a bum plug, or replace the stock spark plug caps with the improved models linked elsewhere on this forum?

I am going with the fuel. You can kill almost all of your initial guesses by draining the tank, installing a new all metal fuel filter, and looking for crud in the tank while you are at it.

Just picked up the Guzzi ...

Spark plugs. Yep, spark plugs...

I was surprised at the suddenness of the problem, and spark plugs being the cause. But, what do I know?!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
I once experienced identical symptoms on a Yamaha.
After much head scratching, it turned out to be one of the HT leads that had broken down, causing an arc.
Easy enough thing to diagnose.
Just wrap electrical insulating tape around where the plug cap inserts into the HT lead, and test ride it.

PS, sorry, I see the diagnosis was plugs.
I was close I guess.

Back