• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2009 Griso with 900 miles or 2010 with 5000 miles - thoughts

Tilter

Tuned and Synch'ed
The 2009 is white, has less than 900 miles, is completely stock and in flawless condition.

The 2010 is red, has about 5,000 miles, exhaust, seat, rizoma bar end mirrors, bags, guards and is $500 more than the bone stock 2009. It looks great for a bike with 5000 miles on it but it does have 5000 miles.

If I bought the 09 I would definitely add an exhaust, perhaps the bar end mirrors and that's really it. It also has about 8 months left on warranty.

The 2010 has no warranty but is in great shape except for a couple of little scratched and a paint chip on the tank or two.

My main reason for the question is that I can be a little sensitive to engine/mechanical noise and from what I've read the 2010 are much quieter than the 2009. I had. 2008 1100 previously and I found the noise sometimes distracting, especially after opening up the air box. Is the 2010 that much quieter? Whichever one I buy will be getting some tod-mods.

So which one do you think is the smart buy? My heart says one and my head the other...

Thank you!

Re: 2009 Griso with 900 miles or 2010 with 5000 miles - thou

I would ride both and make my decision from there. The aftermarket exhuast does add a little value if you like the performance, sound and look. If you don't it detracts from the value. Also is the fueling sorted with the aftermarket exhaust. Some Griso's are very suffer greatly with the addition of slip-on only and no fuel delivery modifications, some don't. Brend mirrors don't add anything to me but I run $20.00 cheapies. Highend mirrors are a waste of money to me. The bags if they are HB C-bows would be worth the extra money if the are Guzzi's offering they don't add a lot of value. Especially if you ride in the rain the factory bags are known to leak + the mounts are ugly of you decide to ride without the panniers.

Also if you are hyersensitive to mechanical niose Guzzi's aren't your best choice. The whirling, clicking/ticking mechanical noises are part of their charm.

Good luck

Unmolested stock wins every time in my book. Go for the '09 if the color suits you.

What the others said ... with these additional comments.

First, it's a m/c, so, IMO, heart trumps head every time.

5000 v. 1000 miles? Bravo Foxtrot Delta.

A bit confused about Perazzimx14's comment on bags. H&B C-Bows are not, I think, OEM; the MG offerings are fine, but not the same. I have the H&B's and think them superb; prefer over OEM, but hardly a deal breaker.

Red? Doesn't that answer the question? :p

Must reinforce the comment about "engine noise." Guzzis do a lot of Thurbering, i.e., pocketa-pocketa-queep-pocketa-queep. They just do. If you are especially sensitive to that, I concur that you look should elsewhere. I wear earplugs, so all I hear is the induction honk, thrum under way, and roar when spurring it. Oh, that, and my own screaming in my helmet when I ride over my head. :woohoo:

My '10 is a jewel.

All of the foregoing said, the stock '09 strikes me as the wiser choice. But, there I go again. Wisdom and motorcycles are not kindred concepts. ;)

Best wishes on your choice. Seriously, don't agonize over it. You'll likely be grinning whichever you mount.

Bill

Bill Hagan said:
A bit confused about Perazzimx14's comment on bags. H&B C-Bows are not, I think, OEM; the MG offerings are fine, but not the same. I have the H&B's and think them superb; prefer over OEM, but hardly a deal breaker.

Bill

Bill,

I was saying that if the panniers ARE the HB C-Bow system and bags it is worth the extra money. If the panniers are the factory Guzzi offering very little added value IMHO and not worth the extra money.

Perazzimx14 said:
Bill Hagan said:

Bill

Bill,

I was saying that if the panniers ARE the HB C-Bow system and bags it is worth the extra money. If the panniers are the factory Guzzi offering very little added value IMHO and not worth the extra money.

Sorry. Pre-coffee comment. :blink:

Bill

I don't think there is much difference between '09 or '10 unless the '10 bike has the revised heads with cast-in spark plug tunnels replacing the leak prone tube and o-ring arrangement in the first 8V bikes.

It may be a little quieter but "Thurbering" does not bother me under the helmet and earplugs.

"The pounding of the cylinders increased: ta-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa-pocketa."

DW

I am leary of used bikes. So for me the best choice would usually be the least used one. In this case that is the '09. Based on what you said it sounds like the '09 was sold as a leftover recently so it still has time on the factory warranty.
But I don't see the difference in age or mileage between these two being substantial. I would have to say that the one that is most what you want, color-wise, exhaust-wise, etc., would be the choice. I hate red. I would go with the white one.

I like the red AND the white - not sure which better as I've never seen them side-by-side.

I don't mind the noise I just prefer less of it. I already know I want a Griso and I know the noise they make.

The white one is only 3 hours away and the red is 8 so that's a big deal. I love the aftermarket mirrors - Rizoma makes lovely ones that I adore but would never buy and that's what's on the red bike. For $30 or less though Tony at Moto International turned me on to some black Aprilia ones that are awesome.

The only things I would definitely buy on the red one are the Termi exhaust and the fly screen. Maybe the tail rack and tail bag.

Both owners are terrific too so I can't choose that way. I ruled out a different Griso that was pretty close simply because dealing with the seller gave me a headache.

I think what I'll do is ride out to the white one and see it in person. I'll bring cash with me just in case it's so nice I just have to have it. I'm leaning that way because since i', giving up a bike with less than a thousand miles on it it will be nice to get one with less than a thousand miles on it.

Thanks for all of your advice

You can't go wrong with either, they're both Griso's :D
As said previously, go with the heart!

pick the one with the most up to date service history . and the latest cam recall inside of it .

Tilter said:
So which one do you think is the smart buy?

Life is good when your biggest problem is which Griso to buy! B)

Today I saw one of the many Griso pics I have hanging around and said to myself, "that is the best looking motorcycle ever created." And it just happens to work well too!

Enjoy whichever you choose...

I would make sure that if the 09 was subject to the cam recall that it was done AND by a reputable dealer. Not all 09's were subject to the recall.

draidt said:
I would make sure that if the 09 was subject to the cam recall that it was done AND by a reputable dealer. Not all 09's were subject to the recall.

If it was not subject to the cam recall can I assume it does not need it? I know that on my GTI once there was a recall of certain vin numbers one year but they missed a ton and I actually had to pay to get my gas cap replaced, which wasn't too bad but hey.

draidt said:

This. Also find out if the cams failed in service or whether the work was carried out prior to failure.

Pete

Hey $500 less, 8 months of warranty and 4000 less miles seals the deal for me. Should be a no-brainer IMO.

Well I picked up the 2009 with actually 850 miles. It's gorgeous and pristine. The owner was a great guy and the dealership that handles the consignment - Europa macchina - was top notch all the way. This dealership looks like a guzzi and Porsche museum.

Anyway I'm riding it the three hours home right now. It's pouring, freezing and dark. I love it! The bike is awesome. My speed triple was great but this is intoxicating. The powerful thrum of the motor is music to my ears. And for any who haven't seem a white one in person it's gorgeous.

Thank you all for your advice.

I agree... I've seen a white one in person and it's a beauty indeed. :lol: :lol:
Anyway, congrats Sir. :p

And Europa Macchina is an awesome dealership.
Not a standard bike shop, but an amazing place for a gearhead to visit.
Did they have one of the Morgans? The wife and I almost stopped by there today on our way up 83 to central Pa.

Back