• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2009 Iron Butt Rally

Kendall

Just got it firing!
I will riding my Norge in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally. If you are unfamiliar with the Rally visit www.ironbutt.com. The Norge is my first Guzzi and so far it seems to be a pretty good bike (except for the fuel filter). The Iron Butt is a pretty intense rally and my concern is that there is a limited number of dealers in North America. Although I will be able to plan for tires, etc. I may need some additional help from the middle of nowhere. Is this the right group to seek a little help if needed?

Indeed, there is no better. We have a handful of Guzzisti here that have IronButt'ed. :huh:
Where/when will you be riding?

Welcome to the Forum/Family, and loveto get your info for the Modern Guzzi Registry.

Thanks - the Rally itself starts in Spartenburg SC this year. The iron butt rally runs for 11 days and covers 10K to 13K miles - of course that depends on the rider and will cover the US and parts of Canada. Unlike a traditional iron butt ride this is a compitition the combines a little more than the ride itself. It is run every two years towards the end of August and is billed as the world's toughest motorcycle compitition. Since in began in the 80's only 365 people have finished.

With that many miles in that short of time it places a little strain on the bike and of course its rider. Any thoughts on what preventative steps I should take with the Norge? For your information I will be using auxillary fuel (11 gallons total) plus a whole bunch of electronic goodies that I hope will not strain the system.

Kendall

Kendall wrote:
With that many miles in that short of time it places a little strain on the bike and of course its rider. Any thoughts on what preventative steps I should take with the Norge? For your information I will be using auxillary fuel (11 gallons total) plus a whole bunch of electronic goodies that I hope will not strain the system.
Kendall

Yeah, yeah, yeah: we know about the 'Butt! Wish you luck; if you win you'll be the 2nd Guzzi & the 1st since '92?3?4? to have finished, iirc. Oddly enough, since Guzzis seem to appeal to an older, more seasoned sort of rider [ones who don't enjoy napping on park benches to refresh for that next 200 miles] with little to prove, there just don't seem to be as many entering the 'Butt! :D

Of course, tons of BMW riders w/ their small penii issues ;) enter every year, trying to prove something [but to whom?], but we all know that's not your motivation. Me personally, I've always thought that MGNA [now Piaggio USA] were missing a trick by not making a factory-backed effort to provide support for Guzzi-mounted IB entrants: lots of marketing hype to be garnered by winning "the toughest motorcycle rally in the world" don't you think?

Preventative steps:

Full synth oils & greases everywhere, freshly done just before the race begins. You'll want to set up tire changes in advance with shops in the 4 corners of the U.S. [obviously, MI for the PNW and MG Classics here in Lo-Cal So. Cal. (where the money is plastic & the people are too!) would be good choices], altho' IIRC, Irv Seaver BMW here in Pomona? or something is one of the So.Cal. checkpoints every time; I'm not that familiar w/ the IB to know which fixed checkpoints they use, clearly it would behoove you to find out that info & plan major maintenance stops around them.

If you don't have a 'stich or equivalent already, get it now so it will be well broken-in before you compete! Leathers are not a good choice for the IB; their greater safety in the event of a crash has to be balanced against all their other shortcomings w/ regard to foul weather, time taking on or off, comfort, etc.

Most important is rider training: all the finest & most esoteric farkles in the world won't help you if you're not used to doing consecutive 1200 mile days! Just getting the time to train for such an event is what keeps me from contemplating competing myself, not to mention all the other issues of actually riding in the Iron Butt! I used to have an on-line friend who rode a Harley & entered the IB [I think it was the 99 or 01 edition.] She'd done the qualifiers [obviously, or she couldn't have entered], but her habitual riding was only regular 500 mile days. She crashed out in AZ? [non-critically, thankfully!] and removed herself from the race. I kinda lost track of her after that, I don't think she handled failure well...[in her eyes; I'm still in awe]

Best of luck to you, & keep us informed: you know you'll have lots of support from the Guzzi community if you enter!

Skeeve - Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to get by with a single rear tire change during the rally. Some help with tire selection would be nice. Any ideas? Remember that the tires will be under a lot of strain and probably maintain their heat for twenty hours a day. I have had some luck with ME880's on different bikes. We still have not received how many or where checkpoints will be located so no planning yet.

Thanks

PS This will be my third IBR. In 2005 and 2007 I rode a DL1000.

Kendall wrote:
Skeeve - Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to get by with a single rear tire change during the rally. Some help with tire selection would be nice. Any ideas?

Well, if there was a Dunlop 491 Elite II to fit, you could probably get by w/o any tire changes! Those things wear like iron... grip better, but not much! :lol:

Sorry, but you'll get better help from someone else; I only rack up about 5k miles a year, so that's barely one rear tire a year if they wear poorly...

Back