Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles®-- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.

2009 V7 not shifting into neutral or 1st from 2nd

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by dmiao8, Mar 26, 2017.

1. dmiao8

dmiao8 Just got it firing!

HI,
    New to this forum. I have a 2009 v7 classic with 26,000 miles on it. When I am riding, and come up to a stop light I cannot shift into neutral or 1st gear with the clutch pulled in while still moving. The bike only shifts as low as 2nd gear and is stuck there. While at the stop light there is still no way to shift into neutral or 1st gear unless I really stomp on the shift pedal. I feel like this is not normal. Does anybody have any suggestions of what could be causing this, and any possible fixes?

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Could be linkage adjustment, gearbox issue, or any other of a myriad of issues. Have you taken it to a dealer for them to check it out?

dmiao8 likes this.
  3. dmiao8

Thanks for the response. I have not taken it into a dealer yet. I will try to bring it in next week (weather permitting). I will update you and let you know what they say. I just wanted to see if anybody else was having the same issues and what I was looking at in terms of how complicated/expensive the fix was going to be.

4. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

A John says above, likely a simple adjustment, or if the clutch has lived a long time poorly adjusted, you may have wiped out the bearing. Does it make any new noises when the clutch is pulled in? Does it do better cold than hot? Visit your dealer for help.

BenRCMC and dmiao8 like this.
  5. dmiao8

Update on the issue. I took the V7 into my local dealer, and it was a problem with the clutch. He is going to fix the issue, and give the bike a tune up. Thank you for the replies.

Poppe likes this.
  6. trialsn

trialsn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Sounds exactly what I went through. Bearing and push rod were the issue. Took a while to finally realize it. If it is indeed the bearing, make sure the shop installs the updated version. I'm not sure how one could update a bearing but apparently they did.

Poppe likes this.
  7. jpv7

jpv7 Tuned and Synch'ed

So keep your clutch adjusted properly or this bearing / push rod will fail.

Poppe likes this.