• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2010 V7 Cafe Classic Ethanol Gas Problems?

tmotorguzzi

Just got it firing!
Hi All,Anyone having any issues with gas that has ethanol in it. I have a 2010 v7 cafe classic. If I dont add any etanol killing agent such as sea foam or ethanol remover the bike will not run right! The bike wont even idle or stay running. If anyone can give some input I'll be deeply grateful. Thanks Tom Guzzi

I am not aware of any ethanol killing agents. There are fuel treatments designed for ethanol fuel but none of the ones I have heard of actually remove or alter the ethanol. They just help prevent some of the issues that ethanol can cause like corrosion. They should not be required for the bike to run right.
The bike should not have trouble running on up to 10% ethanol.
If it does not run right then it may need to be tuned/properly set up.
That is not a normal ethanol issue but more likely a bike tune/set up issue.
For what it is worth I have four Guzzi's, three of which are fuel injected, that all run fine on up to 10% ethanol.
Many people around here also have bikes that run fine on ethanol. If your bike does not run fine then something is wrong with it. I would start by either doing all the basic set up like adjusting the valves and throttle body sync or if you do not have the resources to do so take it to someone who does.

I would rather run on pure gas too, but it's not available in my area (New England USA).

10% eth has worked ok for me, so perhaps your bike does need some adjustment.

Joe

In the UK the fuel also contains a percentage of ethanol, but the issues with that seem to be confined to the well documented problems with plastic fuel tanks and older gasket/sealing products. As the others have suggested, your bike would seem to be in need of some much overdue TLC.

The bike just came back from the moto guzzi dealer that is almost 3 hrs away.They did the factory recall for the gas venting problem and also replaced my deformed tank under warranty. The bike only has 5800 miles on it .the dealer did check the bike and said everything was okay,but of course when the bike was checked out it was running just fine.I know there is a problem but what it is I dont know. I'll have to find another guzzi dealer maybe in the philadelphia area I could look one up.

I should have rethought how I titled the problem I was having with my V7 Cafe.First of all I had no problems with idling or poor performance before the tank was replaced and the gas tank venting problem fixed.I should have titled it "NOT RUNNING RIGHT AFTER TANK REPLACED"Here me out now cause this only occurs the minute I leave the gas station on fill up. It will clear up after I ride for about 45 minutes to an hour. When they replaced the tank is it possible that there was plastic crap in the tank and when I stick the gas nozzle in it might stir up the bottom.Like I said before My dealer is 2 hours away and i'm trying to resolve this on my own. Any one having any suggestions I'm open for anything. And as I said before there are no error codes on the bike. Thanks Tom

I doubt it has anything to do with ethanol. I had similar problems before and after the recall service.

On my Cafe, if I wasn't very careful to stop fueling before the tank was completely full it would buck and stall for 20 miles or so. It turned out that the overflow/vent line was pinched under the tank. Eventually I had the vent line unkinked and removed the evap canister and check valve. No problems since and I can top the tank without any ill effects.

I agree w Wittangamo that's it sounds like a kinked vent line. The vent lines are easy to kink when moving the tank, and the dealer probably did this when they replaced it.

A complete tank removal probably isn't necessary; just undo the rear hold-down bolt and lift up the tank to view the lines. Also remove the little metal/plastic "shields" on either side, just above the throttle bodies, to get a better look from the sides.

The tank will be reluctant to go back on, as the rear bolt holes often don't match up well. But that's for another day.

Joe

Back