• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2011 Wisconsin Rally

Bill Hagan

GT Reference
GT di Razza Pura
Above Pott's Camp along Braddock's route, Virginia
Hello from Milan ... Illinois, not (darn it) Italy!

Am here for a year because my job moved. Plan to return to Atlanta next year and retire, but current event$ are making me a bit uneasy about that. We shall see.

Anyway, it is giving me an opportunity to ride on roads I've not seen before. In fact, I've seen little of the midwest except from 33K feet!

So, here are some pix of my trip this past weekend – 5 -7 August – to the Wisconsin Moto Guzzi rally.

The rally was at the Lake Joy Campground, near Belmont, in the SW corner of the state.

Lake Joy is located in the heart of Wisconsin's "driftless" region, i.e., the area not flattened by glaciers. Here it is on the map:

http://tinyurl.com/Wisconsin-Guzzi-rally

Open that, pan out, and select "terrain" to see topo relief. You'll then understand why it is, albeit not quite north Georgia or that kind of place, still fine riding country.

Kathi and I put 750 miles on the Norge up that way a few weekends ago for the national rally and a little B&B getaway – yes, I’ll post those pix sometime, too! – and found some VERY good roads (and food and beer and sights) in NE Iowa and SW Wisconsin. And, unlike so many here in Illinois and nearby Iowa, the roads in that part of Wisconsin do not seem to have been an MSR for an armored division without HET's, with resulting terrible pavement. Rare to find silky smooth roads where temperature variations are so extreme, but these are not bad at all.

So, this past Friday, with Kathi back in Virginia squeezing grandbabies, I left the office at about 1 p.m., and rode to Platteville for a pretty cheap stay at the Super 8 there.

I visited the rally that evening, and a few times during the day on Saturday and Sunday, where I did obligatory grunting, scratching, and spitting.

I then set out with a friend, Ben, a serious sport bike (non-Guzzi) rider who rode up from Davenport on Saturday a.m., to ride as many of these, red, blue, and green roads (in that order) on this map as I could:

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/regions/wi_west.html

We did pretty well in doing those and more, but still left many unridden. Ben went home after his 500-miler day trip, but I did an additional 360 or so on Sunday, in an attempt to add more great-road notches to my pistol. I succeeded, but eventually had to leave some for next trip, as reality required return to Milan.

After all of that intro, here are the pix: http://tinyurl.com/Wisc-Guzzi-Rally-and-Ride

Bill

Thanks for the post Bill, I count always count on you to deliver the pixels and words. Nice!

Back