RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.
  2. Ciao Guest, ALERT FOR Store purchases - riding season is here, so we know everyone wants it yesterday. However, lead times are long and many things are sold out or back-ordered, and there isn't much we can do to rush anything. Always best to buy off Season when things are in stock. Also, there are many seasonal holidays this time of year, both here and in Europe (particularly the Italian August Holiday month), so please be patient! We aren't Amazon. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. Please note GuzziTech and the GTM Store is largely a ONE man operation. Requests for phone calls will be deleted. We are online only. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE OR JUST disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. Thanks for your understanding and support.

2012 Griso 8V SE oil leak

Discussion in 'Griso-Bella Chat & Tech' started by ChappyBoffins, Aug 12, 2019.

1. ChappyBoffins

ChappyBoffins Just got it firing!

Hello again everyone. So I’ve got another oil leak and I wanted to share some photos in case any of this looked familiar and to see if anyone had some advice.

I took my bike out on a hot day for about a 6 hour ride. It went mostly well but at our first stop I noticed there was some oil leaking out of or onto a connection on the exhaust manifold. We let it cool down for about 20 minutes and the leak slowed and the smoke dissipated. We then decided to ride on. All day the bike did like to want to stall right after I started it. I had to hold the throttle open to about 1500 rpms for about 2 minutes to keep this from happening. After the 2 minutes it was fine. The bike didn’t smoke anymore and I didn’t notice any dripping oil under the bike at any of our other stops.

I went to ride it to work 2 days later and found a small puddle underneath it with a couple more areas with drips of oil hanging off of them. I’m thinking there’s a leak higher up that is spurting out and trickling down to the areas I’ve photographed. My plan is to spend some time observing the engine closely while it idles. Otherwise I’m at a loss.

IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3719.JPG
    IMG_3718.JPG
    IMG_3709.JPG
    IMG_3717.JPG
    IMG_3715.JPG
    IMG_3708.JPG

Could the stalling after start be related to the oil leak or are those 2 separate issues?

If oil is leaking out, should I ride it into my service center 40 minutes away or have it towed?

Also a friend said my fuel line probably needs replacing, image should also be in the album, are they correct?

As always, thanks in advanced for any advice anyone can give me.

-Paul

2. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The line with the blue device (it's a one way valve) is the breather for the tank. I dismantled mine (heat in hot water) and removed the innards after I suffered tank suck.

The rest of your photos look fairly normal to me after a six hour ride in hot weather. You will need to clean them up to determine whether they need further attention.

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

To expand on what Kiwi Dave said, you need to clean the bike thoroughly as when riding air currents will move oil around. Once clean, then run the bike stationary, but you probably should aim a fan at the cylinders. Hopefully you will be able to find the source.

4. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Make sure you are not over filling the engine oil. Check in the airbox for oil. Too much oil in the sump tends to pump oil out the breather an from there it can go to the airbox or elsewhere.
    That fancy fitting at the bottom / back of the engine sump is a return line from the oil breather system. Why it is so stout and HD I don't know. The oil could be directly from that fitting if it is leaking. That happens. But it could be running down that line and dripping from there instead. See if the line above is wet. You can use talcum powder to look for wet oil. Or a white rag. Or a clean finger.

5. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

+1 on what has been said. I'd cut back the 5/16" fuel breather line & drill through or replace blue valve w/fitting. I would just snug up fitting on back of sump, check it once in awhile. I would look over all the breather system hoses for cracked rubber, it happens.

6. Bob Clark

Bob Clark Just got it firing! GT Famiglia

Also check the oil breather blow by tubes located to the top rear of each cylinder head behind the injectors. The rubber cracks and causes leaks, they all do this. Part #978765

7. Mackers

Mackers Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

My Breva 1100 had a leak from the oil return line at the back of the sump. It dripped off the fitting. The hose had perished where it joined the fitting. Had it replaced at a hydraulic hose shop.