• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Land Speed Racing Season Begins

Tonerjockey

High Miler
GT Contributor
The start of another season of Land Speed Racing is upon us.

The SCTA runs trials at El Mirage this weekend. I think Porco Rosso is about as ready (-$$$) as it's gunna get.

Inspection begins Friday. Saturday and Sunday we run.

PorcoRossoatDustyElmosm.jpg

I don't think we have a shot at the 127 MPH (in 1.3 miles) "Open" record. The closest we've come is 125 MPH. That took a 25 MPH tailwind... and I couldn't get it out of 4th gear.

Anyone interested in speed come on down!

Alex

Alex, thanks for posting... which day is better, and are you running on both days? I'd love to come up and meet you and the bike.

I will get to tech inspection Friday afternoon. Leaving San Jose early AM ... should arrive 3 PM or so.

Will run early Saturday. I am #24 in line. Most likely about 8 or 9 AM.

Will hang around for at least one more go after all others have run. Probably around 11 AM for run #2.

The plan, so far , is to split ElMo Saturady afternoon for the return drive.

Come on down! You'll recognize Porco Rosso, it's the only red Guzzi there. 685B

moto_guzzi_11_3sm.jpg

Alex

Woooo Hoooooo Bonneville Speed Week here we come!

Running Porco Rosso in 750CC P-PP class as usual.

This season we have 2 competitors pre-registered. One is Big D from Texas. A fabulous Norton 750 Commando. One proven fast bike.

Porco Rosso is ready ready ready.

The event begins on the 11th. We leave San Jose on the 13th. Arrive and 1st run on Tuesday 14th.

Let the games..... begin.

Alex

We only ran once so far this season. El Mirage. 120+. That's a good sign for the longer Bonneville course.

Made some promissing changes... hopefully they don't blow this thing up... :ugeek:

Anyone going this year?

Alex

Alex , unfortunately i could not make it to the salt this year.... :( , i was wondering how did it go ?

Alex,

I wish I would have see this before I left for the Salt. I just got back from a trip to Bonneville to crew on friends car. We made it to impound on our first run mid-day Saturday and backed it up on an early Sunday run which, secured the new record. The fellas didn't want to break hardware, thus leaving room for next year and so they all split by Monday AM. I hung around Monday looking for some other folks but took off for Salt lake and then an 1800 mile road trip back to the CA Central Coast. I wish I had known and would have hung out to watch/help/cheer. Maybe next year.

If you are heading south on the 101 and need a rest stop drop me a line.

We'll see you out there... somewhere.

JP

Sorry we missed the connect JP. Congrats on the new record!

Speed Week 2012 was an interesting time for Porco Rosso, the 1973 V7 Sport we run in Land Speed Racing.

We arrived on the salt on Saturday to help crew for a friends Lakester:

6060goesforarun.jpg

Mark Brading pushing 6060 up to the line. That's Roy Brizio's unpainted '32 in the background.

By Monday we were able to start running Porco Rosso.

SaltTrailersm.jpg

During inspection one of the inspectors noticed the dual plug heads we run. Since it was a visible modification, and only very limited visible modifications are allowed in production class, Porco Rosso was bumped into the Modified, Pushrod - Gas class.

Production - Production Push rod (P-PP) class record 125.457 set by Porco Rosso in 2010
Modified Pushrod -Gas (MP-G) class record 137.872 set by Pepperoni Bros. on 09-09 (another V7 Sport I believe!).

Since we are not set up to be competitive in MP-G class, we spent the days tuning the bike. Take a run, get the speed ticket, modify the bike, take a run, get the ticket, repeat. This is a rather expensive way of tuning a bike but we were there, it was available, and a great experience.

2012Ready.jpg

So today, I am setting up a jig to improve and simplify connectability of the Guzzi engine to a Stuska engine dyno. Once that is done Porco Rosso will get modifications to allow re-entry into P-PP class... hopefully I can just plug the hole for the 2nd spark plug in each head. If that isn't acceptable, I'll hafta have another set of heads prepaired for racing (=thou$and$).

That's racing.

Alex

Sorry to hear about that .
I' ve got a question : was not just possible to un-plug one spark wire each cylinder head , re-jet the bike and run ?

Just asking ...

Ciao
Marco

They are kinda picky there. I guess they need to be 'cause SOME folks are sneaky... I've heard of NOS in frames... hidden injectors shootn' fuel additives, you get the picture.

So I'm gunna make a nice plug for the spark plug holes and see if that'll pass. I don't have high hopes for that because the fins are already trimmed for the extra spark plugs...

Here's the latest: Rails to mount the engine and empty trans into the dyno:

RoundFinDynoStandsm.jpg

We'll see how much more power that extra plug actually provides in this rig.... maybe.

Alex

Back