• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Model first glimpse

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
First glimpse at the (IMO hideous) new Cali, and not so new V7 Scrambler. :dry:

Attachments

• Cali12.jpg
    Cali12.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 1,562
  • V7SC.jpg
    V7SC.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,562
I don't understand a scrambler that's really not meant to scramble. And the smushed tank on the cruiser would bother me about increased heat on the gas tank, increasing vapor lock possibilities.

It's about time they changed the shape of the California tank. That was the only thing I didn't like about mine. Looks good now.
Scramblers cool but the pipes should be more horizontal, not upswept.

Pics of a better qulity

166601_1407606289918_1825274229_754563_6617845_n.jpg

168598_1407606089913_1825274229_754562_4700731_n.jpg

COULD seem like the Cali got a cooler...

- but the scrambler for sure is the good ol' 48 HP smallblock. :mrgreen:

Not keen on that cut away tank idea. The scrambler looks like a regular V7 classic with different pipes.

pete roper said:
Snaffled off another board. Better pic.

- super-sized valve covers--I assume 8-valve, but what's in all the space?
- twin-shock; not a CARC. Probably means you need to remove one of the pipes to get at the rear wheel.
- looks like a healthy oil cooler up front.
- Is this yet another new frame? That black bit forward of the tank--evidence of part of the Griso frame?
- I like the length of the seat, but am worried that it's too low (and needs a skunk stripe...)
- with the seat that low, the bars could be lower
- no crash bar on a Cal?
- just one big speedo (and no tach)?
- all-in-all, still better looking than the old Cal3/EV series

They can't win a trick!

Everyone moans about how they don't produce enough power, so Noale finally invests the money to design an effectively all new angine that in 1200 cc form will profuce above the magic 'Ton' in HP at the rear wheel. What happens? All the moaners decry it is too complex and it isn't fitted to a 'Cruiser' style bike so they would never buy one.

So what do they try and do? They stick it in a bike like a 'Cruiser' AND they hog it out a couple of hundred extra cc's so that all the Numpties with tiny willies can brag about how they have a nearly litre and a half engine. They even leave it with a hideous, inferior, twin-shock rear end to try and please the luddites! And what happens. They moan!

The rocker covers stick into the tank, (Obviously a cosmetic cover up.) It's water cooled, (Maybe, more likely just a big oil radiator, but water/glycol cooling will have to come eventually to try and shut the bloody thing up!) It doesn't look right! It causes my Gina to become compacted with sand!!!!

Well bugger me sideways with a prize marrow! Just *exactly* what will it take for some of you blithering old fuquetards to be happy? The brand to disappear so you can twang your suspenders and try and recall the 'Good Old Days' when everything was dirty and unreliable but you could still lynch niggers and be frightened of the big-bad-bogeymen in the Soviet Union????

Jesus wept! Would I want either of these bikes? Shit no! I've never been a fan of 'Cruisers' and I honestly believe that the day that the smallblock is consigned to the dustbin of history can't come soon enough. But fer cryin' out loud! It doesn't seem to matter WHAT the Gnomes of Noale try to do NOBODY will ever be happy. And every time a model is released with a Guzzi badge it is the same bunch of grizzling curmudgeons who pipe up saying "Well? It Just isn't good enough!"

You know what? Sod yers! The fact that 'Guzzi', since the sixties or seventies a 'DeTommaso', 'Brand' has been bought out by first Aprilia and then Piaggio makes not the slightest difference to me. Even where the poxy things are built is really of little consequence as long as it remains in Italy and the people who build them enjoy the benefits of living in a civilized nation with reasonable worker protections.

I want to see the Guzzi badge continue on an Italian built product of some sort. As long as its there the 'Golden Thread' that goes back to the dark days after WWI and covered everything from the rise of fascism and the 'Glory Years' of racing post-war will continue. Maybe not as it has up until now, maybe with different goals and ambitions, but it WILL continue.

The alternative is just to accept that the Guzzi name is dead. Perhaps in a lot of ways that would be for the better. I'd hate to think I had to be associated with such a bunch of miserable, tight-fisted, closed minded whingers.

For what its worth I REALLY like the Noale engine, and the rest of the package that makes up my Griso. It's enormous fun. It's dead reliable and it has style and 'Panache' to die for, even with me on it! For fucks sakes. How's about just cutting Piaggio a little bit of slack once in a while? Do that. Allow the new models to succeed, or not? And we MAY just, eventually, see the MGS-02 that so many of us want to see produced. Shit-canning EVERYTHING is just a really easy way to ensure the curtain comes down on Guzzi.

Pete

... ehm, so let me repeat...
This Cali reminds me too much of the dead and forgotten Virago - not original enough in my eyes.
This scrambler looks too old in my eyes - that's right, old and not classic...
They could do better I think - they know the job.
Maybe they look better in first person, to my eyes that is..

Well, Pete, 1,600th post and a memorable one. Probably one of the opinions didn't need to be on this forum but "alea jacta est".

The Scrambler looks like a bit of a hoot, of course it's not meant to be a real scrambler any more than the V7 Racer is meant to be a racer BUT if people buy them (everyone I know with a V7 Classic variant loves them) and it helps keep Guzzi viable then we're all better off for it. It won't be too long I bet before Stucchi or Agostini come up with a kit of 'bullet' mufflers complete with wire mesh guards a la Triumph Trophy so buyers can relive/revisit their Baja or ISDT ideal. I bet also the demand for vintage buckle-up enduro boots and Bell TX500 helmets goes up! The important thing is that the V7 Classic variants are often bought by people returning to motorcycling and the Guzzi brand and that's why the Scrambler/Racer/Cafe/Classic are good even if they are small block. Had they been Bellagio-based I would have bought one each of them.

I don't like cruiser-style bikes either (Cali heresy!) but this one looks a bit different with the cutaway fuel tank. Reminds me a bit of early hot-rods and lakesters in that respect. The seat though looks a lot like the original T3 Cali solo. I think it's retained a bit of distinctiveness.

Finally, who is Gina and why is she stuffed with sand? Is she a sock puppet or dog toy of some kind, or something you heat up to help with back pain?

pete roper said:
Series4 said:
Finally, who is Gina and why is she stuffed with sand? Is she a sock puppet or dog toy of some kind, or something you heat up to help with back pain?
Any and/or all of the above :lol:
Pete

LMAO!
The Cali shown (no doubt far from a working prototype) looks like a kid's toy, which (in my book) means poor interpretation of an original, and for crying out loud, this is the same company that is responsible for some timeless designs and the biggest trophy room in road racing.
They have such an amazing heritage/lineage for the California, they really need to scrap this one and try again IMO. Just my $.02.

Don't get me wrong! I don't like the look of the Nuovo Cali either. It looks like a light violet dog-turd that has been beaten with the ugly stick but I've thought that all the Calis since the Cali II look like a bucket full of bashed crabs and people have continued to buy them ad-nauseam. What shits me is the endless, unceasing negativity.

I, like many others, am frustrated by the continuing non-arrival of the 'Nuovo Sports Bike' Call it a LeMans, or the MGS-02? Good grief you can call it the 'Thermistor-tinyballs' for all I bloody care I'd just like to see it! There is little incentive for the parent company to waste money on such a project though when EVERY new model announcement is met with derision.

I'll freely admit that I would of been the first one over the parapet if Turd-On-Branch's hideous abortions had been slated for production but it seems that luckily someone in head office saw them for what they were, egotistical grandstanding by the biggest wanker in the motorbike design world! The Nuovo Cali certainly looks like a mock-up but it IS what a whole host of the corn-cob pipe brigade have been braying on about for ages. They can't have it all ways. It can't have 'Modern' performance without being 'Modern' and in the 'Modern' world things like noise levels and pollution ARE important which means we have to have 'Modern' sollutions. That means stuff like liquid cooling, fuel injection and multi-valve cylinder heads with compact, efficient, combustion chambers. In real terms things aren't that much more 'Complex' than twenty five years ago. Its simply the ossified mindset of some that makes my blood boil! I fart in the face of these curmudgeons! If their brains were dynamite they wouldn't have enough to blow off their toupees!!!!!

Pete

That's some great ranting Pete, nicely done! I have to agree ,to me the main thing is Guzzi survive and are made in Italy, whether I like the style of the bike(s) is immaterial. As far as I'm concerned ( not that it matters ) Guzzi can build any type of bike or engine design they like. They've pretty much done it all before anyway.
FBC

You know what? Noale already have one of the very nicest engines currently built in the Shiver. What I'd like to see is a similar, (Identical even!) top end but with a 120 degree V and offset crankpins like the 'Bicylindrica', (Or Yamaha TRX.). A cartridge gearbox and dry sump with 'Oil in case'. Very short stroke and plenty of room in the 'V' for a supercharger for a 'Sporting' model. Or, for 'Touring' Use a larger displacement and a SOHC system like the Mana uses!

Chain drive, water cooled, but still distinctively 'Different' and with a nod to one of the greatest Guzzis ever built.

What's not to like and it would be CHEAP to design and build as some of the stuff is already in production.

Pete (Fantasizing again!)

I would agree with most of what Pete said. I have ridden an 8V on a long test, IMO it is a great engine.
I don't like the 2 bikes shown, not because of the change of ownership, but from individual taste. The Cali looks a bit boxy and I don't like the style much. I will not buy a new Guzzi that doesn't have a CARC and mono rear suspension. I don't see reverting to twin shocks as at all positive. I hope it is an 8v engine, but I don't care much for the way the heads are so much higher.

The scrambler, I don't like because it isn't what it claims to be. High pipes don't make an off road bike. There are already far too many pretend off road bikes.

As for the rest of the Guzzi range I like most of them, given the cash now I would have a 1200 Sport 8V with hard luggage a rack and small screen. I ain't too adicted to "cruisers" in general despite owning a Jackal for years, but I don't write off whole styles for that. The Guzzi "cruisers" are in fact very effective tourers, which is why I bought mine.
I put Pete's dislike of Calis and small blocks in the same box as comments from those who hate all new Guzzis because Piaggio makes them, a box marked "individual prejudice not worth reading". Even paragons like Pete (not taking the piss, I like the guy) have blind spots.

pete roper said:
I'll freely admit that I would of been the first one over the parapet if Turd-On-Branch's hideous abortions had been slated for production but it seems that luckily someone in head office saw them for what they were, egotistical grandstanding by the biggest wanker in the motorbike design world!

It's OK Pete, we're safe........ "Turd on branch" has now been signed up by Norton!

Back