• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 Norge 20 Amp fuse

romanowski

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I have had my 2012 Norge since new and have never had an electrical issue. It now blows the 20 amp fuse that runs power to the relays. With the fuse blown, the engine will start, but the alternator stops charging the battery. I have replaced the alternator and all 4 relays, but the fuse keeps blowing.

Is there anyone else out there that has had this issue, and resolved it?

Thanks
Roman

Check for chaffing in the wiring. BTW, I thought the fuse to the alternator was a 30 amp fuse.

The 30 Amp fuse goes to the key switch and the instrument panel. The 20 amp fuse that I am having a problem with comes off the power supply, through the fuse then to the starter and headlamp relays.

The 30 Amp fuse goes to the key switch and the instrument panel. The 20 amp fuse that I am having a problem with comes off the power supply, through the fuse then to the starter and headlamp relays.

I'm looking at this schematic. https://www.guzzitech.com/phocadownload/norge_1200/Norge_1200_GT8V-Wiring_diagram.pdf The alternator should only not charge when the 40 amp fuse goes out. Which 20 amp fuse is failing, that is please state the color of the wires to that fuse? I don't see any relay coils powered by either 20 amp fuse. I do see one of those 20 amp fuses providing power for lights at the light logic relay. Do your lights fail when the fuse blows?

In the bottom right hand corner of the schematic, it is the 20 amp fuse with the red/green wire on one side and a green/white wire that goes to the #87 pin on the #6 relay and the #30 pin on the #5 relay. It is not a 40 amp fuse.

I will check the lights. I am going to test the starter motor bendix drive to be certain it is not sticking closed and drawing excessive current.

In the bottom right hand corner of the schematic, it is the 20 amp fuse with the red/green wire on one side and a green/white wire that goes to the #87 pin on the #6 relay and the #30 pin on the #5 relay. It is not a 40 amp fuse.

I will check the lights. I am going to test the starter motor bendix drive to be certain it is not sticking closed and drawing excessive current.

It looks like that fuse also provides power to the power port under the seat. Make sure there isn't a short in the harness to that power port as well.

I checked out a number of possibilities and still that fuse kept popping. I inadvertently, put the brights switch on, and voila: the fuse did not pop with the engine running!!!!! As soon as I dimmed the brights, the fuse would blow.

Its now 5:00 PM in Ontario and about 31 degrees outside. I will probe further tomorrow AM: this is starting to cut into my drinking time!

I checked out a number of possibilities and still that fuse kept popping. I inadvertently, put the brights switch on, and voila: the fuse did not pop with the engine running!!!!! As soon as I dimmed the brights, the fuse would blow.

Its now 5:00 PM in Ontario and about 31 degrees outside. I will probe further tomorrow AM: this is starting to cut into my drinking time!

Take a look at the wires running to your headlights. It looks like you may have a chaffed wire for low beam. You are getting close and should have drinking time soon!!

That is exactly where I found the problem: RS Low Beam. The H3 bulbs that I had installed last season were not insulated all the way to the connector. As a result the bare part shorted inside the low beam housing cover. Note to self: not all H3 bulbs are created equal!

Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• H3 55 watt bulbs.JPG
    H3 55 watt bulbs.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 19
Those wires on the H3 bulbs have been an issue chafing on the reflector fitting before. Get some electrical sleeving slightly larger diameter and add an extra layer of insulation.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up buying two new bulbs that were insulated right to the connector. The old bulbs, though both still working were a year old, and I don't want to have one burn out while I am away from home touring.

Back