• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2012 US Stelvio Questions

ChuckH

Tuned and Synch'ed
A couple more questions --

First, on Heated Grips. I've used Hot Grips on my last four bikes. I like the larger diameter grip (1 3/16" -- 37mm), they heat very well and I can install them for about $120. The Guzzi website info on the Stelvio says that "Heated Hand Grips may be fitted upon request". That tells me they're dealer installed options or possibly owner installed. How large are they are in diameter? How well do they work? What did they cost to have the dealer install them or for the owner to install them? Assuming the bike was pre-wired at the factory for this option, where are the connection wires located?

Second, on those big Black Rear Panniers. The Guzzi website info on the Stelvio says they are "water resistant" (which sounds like "lawyer-speak" to deal with complaints of leakage to me) and "37 Liters capacity". How water resistant are they? Does the lid have some sort of sealing gasket to give some protection? Do they come with some sort of fitted inner liner? How do they mount on the bike? What's the configuration (shape) of the mounting bracketry where the panniers mount? Are they worth having?

Once again, thanks for your time and answers.

In german forums the original black trax cases (from NTX) are from some users claimed as Aquarium.Others say they are watertight. So it seems, not all are watertight, as conclusion. The normal cases (like on Norge) should be watertight but some had problems with misformed from exhaust heat.
How the original heat grips look like I do not know but I want to buy and install them on my one (European 2011 = US 2012 model). I think they are the same thicknees as the orignals without heating option.
The connections are under the gas tank or inside the fairing, not always easy to find, as stated from some users. But they are here and grips can be controlled via the dashbord.

ferdi said:
In german forums the original black trax cases (from NTX) are from some users claimed as Aquarium.Others say they are watertight. So it seems, not all are watertight, as conclusion.

How the original heat grips look like I do not know but I want to buy and install them on my one (European 2011 = US 2012 model). I think they are the same thicknees as the orignals without heating option.
The connections are under the gas tank or inside the fairing, not always easy to find, as stated from some users. But they are here and grips can be controlled via the dashbord.

Ferdi, Thanks for your response.

I have heard similar responses about leakage into the trax cases. I will probably use a set of aluminum cases that I have been using on my last two bikes. They are the same size (37 L) as the trax and have not given me a problem with leakage.

As far as the heated grips -- I found an interesting discussion -- "Heated Grips Question" -- on page 4. It even has pictures showing the location of the electrical connections. Seems like the factory grips are not as warm as some of the aftermarket equipment. Also, on the bikes being discussed (US '09 and '10), the bike must be stationary (not moving) for an adjustment to be made. Does not seem logical. Hopefully, they will make a design change for the US '12, European '11 so that is not necessary.

Once again, thanks for your response and ride safe.

Hi, I have a 2011 european ntx and so far the black panniers have been fully watertight even when you pressure wash them off, the same can't be said of the matching MG (Trax) topbox but when you look at the feeble seal its no surprise.
I fitted the MG heated grips myself, the grips are the same size with a different pattern on them, both come on plastic sleeves, the throttle side replaces the throttle tube, clutch side require the bar to be drilled and tapped and is a little big for the bar so a couple of turns of tape on the bar to take up the slack, connections are behind the clutch side fairing tucked behind the frame tube towards the alternator (white 2 pin connector fabric harness tape both in same position)
You can switch them on and adjust them on the move, they get warm enough for me but its not been that cold as yet but their not the warmest Iv'e had, I brought a cheap set once that became painfully hot refused to switch off so i had to disconnect and then my hands got painfully cold.
personally I think their worth the little extra, they use the factory switch gear and display on the dash.
the extra lamps are brilliant, literally.

mrcanns said:
Hi, I have a 2011 european ntx .... I fitted the MG heated grips myself, the grips are the same size with a different pattern on them, both come on plastic sleeves, the throttle side replaces the throttle tube, clutch side require the bar to be drilled and tapped and is a little big for the bar so a couple of turns of tape on the bar to take up the slack, connections are behind the clutch side fairing tucked behind the frame tube towards the alternator (white 2 pin connector fabric harness tape both in same position)
You can switch them on and adjust them on the move, they get warm enough for me but its not been that cold as yet but their not the warmest Iv'e had, I brought a cheap set once that became painfully hot refused to switch off so i had to disconnect and then my hands got painfully cold.
personally I think their worth the little extra, they use the factory switch gear and display on the dash.
the extra lamps are brilliant, literally.

Thanks for the response. It sounds like MG made a design change on the '11 European, '12 US models in how the heated grips are controlled both sitting and on the move. That's a good deal.

As far as the size of the grips, I'll have an opportunity to see and test sit a US '10 Stelvio over the Christmas Holidays. That will give me a feel for the size of the grips. My hands like larger grips and I may have to go with the Hot Grips. However, it is nice to know that I can use the factory wiring and control gear.

Just a quick update on the Trax/Guzzi boxes. Mine got severely tested in Scotland this year and never leaked a drop. Sadly, the same could not be said for my waterproofs... +1 for the MG heated grips too, nice even heat.

Bisonheed said:
Just a quick update on the Trax/Guzzi boxes. Mine got severely tested in Scotland this year and never leaked a drop. Sadly, the same could not be said for my waterproofs... +1 for the MG heated grips too, nice even heat.

Thanks Bison for the response. I was in Scotland many times in my working life and believe that a cycle trip there would be a good test for the "water-proofness" of the equipment.

Back