• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Cal 1400 8V words & pics

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
"While the big, booming V-Twin engine is not expected to deliver more than 110 peak horsepower, that power will come at moderate rpm, not more than 6000, and with great torque, also from low rpm. This type of performance should be what buyers expect from a motorcycle like the California 1400." - Uh, NO.
Link HERE for more words and high-res pics.

Attachments

• 2013California1400.jpg
    2013California1400.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 5,307
There indeed looks to be something very wrong with that bike. I guess it's fashionable. Citroen's current DS line is a slap in the face to the DS of old, and now this. They should have called it the Siberia, IMVHO :sick:

Oh boy... I hope this is not a hint of what Guzzi has on the drawing board for future Griso 1400 models...

Folks,
don't panic. Its a Cali, and to me it looks like it upholds and refines that fine bike's characteristics and history. If 110HP and heaps of torque is not enough then I don't know what is. I mean it is not as if it is a sports bike. Just as long as it is reliable and does not eat it's own valve train it will be fine. For me I require a dual seat which should not be a big problem.

Cheers, Mark.

The state of the cruiser / tourer market is all about size, 1100cc doesn't cut the mustard anymore, that's a girls bike.
With Harleys being 1540cc (last time I looked) and other brands with even bigger motors it was inevitable for Guzzi to play catch up.

A. Good to see it still has more ground clearance than the opposition.

B. Good idea to endurance test the new motor with a low power version and high mileage riders before pushing the performance envelope with the sports models.

C. I can see the Guzzi heritage/lineage, but its starting to look too chunky and heavy like most of the cruiser market.

I like it but doubt I'll ever buy one.

I'm liking it . . . gave up forward controls to go with the Griso and I can go back. That thing will not turn in anything like the Griso though! Do we know if it will be released in the USA this summer?

Said release in the U.S. is Q3. The proto is currenty in Miami being shown (click pic below for more info).

The strong points of the California line was a race-bred frame, and the ability to go around corners and stop very well. It was unique enough to win over most everyone that rode one. Secondly, the motor rev'ed compared to most other "cruiser" V-twins. It's a HUGE part of what it was, so seeing the model with the same name take a turn to target "other" cruisers in my eyes, isn't a great move. I'm not seeing any of what made the original so successful in the new model, but I wish them the best with it.

GT-Rx said:
It's a HUGE part of what it was, so seeing the model with the same name take a turn to target "other" cruisers in my eyes, isn't a great move. I'm not seeing any of what made the original so successful in the new model, but I wish them the best with it.
Thanks for explaining the heritage of the California . . . I felt a similar thud with Triumph's reincarnation of the Thunderbird.

What Todd just said. This is NOT a California, whatever they wish to call it. Can you see this as a police bike, which is what the Cali was developed for?

Whoever signed for this two wheeler clearly couldn't be bothered with the model's heritage. Heck, a Rocket-III is probably closer in spirit to the current California than this wannabe rip-off of a Diavel...

For what it's worth I think it looks great, bang up to date with some solid Guzzi styling. The cut out's in the tank for the heads are a masterstroke. The only downside I see is the weekly visit to the dealers to get yet another radiator after yet another stone has ruptured it. Other than that impressive.

"It was unique enough to win over almost everyone that rode one."

Hey, I wish that were the case, but it's just not true.

There are many riders who rode Cals at some point but ended up on other brands. What you point out about the Cals is true Todd, but they have a list of short comings, that many felt were to much to overcome.

Weird brake system and pedal, lack of big time low end torque, weird looks, too small, poor aftermarket support, poor dealer support and so on.

For many, any one of those could be a deal killer. I'm holding off judgment until I learn how well it goes.

Weird looks? That's in the eye of the beholder, but that current Cali design is one of the most balanced ever, IMHO.
This new bike will probably not have linked brakes on the pedal, but a lot of those dealkillers will apply to it too, one way or another

Paddy Field said:
According to Motorcycle daily, Piaggio are opening a design centre in Pasadena.
Yes, posted yesterday here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forum/167/8292.html

031412middle-730x516.jpg

If I was after such cruiser bikes I'd look into Diavel for a tech ride or the V-Rod for macho power or maybe a Valkyrie for smooth cruising - most else looks outdated oldish in my opinion.

This Guzzi is something in between all these but ...
...looks like a big tough girl's bike to me (whether she would fancy girls as well is problably irrelevant) while the Diavel is a clearly a guy's bike in my eyes.

I think they think that by just making fat fashion statements they can cut a big piece of HD's public there, over the pond.

Much as I don't want to admit it I like this cruzzzer! My 11 year old son was looking over my shoulder while I was looking at the pic and said "thats way cooool dad! you should get one" then he said what no seat for me! I like the tank cut aways something only a Guzzi could get away with LOL

Kevin

Back