• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Cal 1400 8V words & pics

Mi_ka said:
I think they think that by just making fat fashion statements they can cut a big piece of HD's public there, over the pond.

Thing is, Guzzis have always been "ride more pose less". This bike really seems to reverse that. And it's not even got enough chrome or matte black paint ...

However, that latest pic does seem to do it a tad more justice - that MIGHT even be a Tonti frame hidden by all the superfluous (plastic?) covers?

As to it being a girl's bike ... I have a hunch it'd have to be babes with endless legs because it doesn't look like it's going to be a slim ride!

I'm not into cruisers, never will be.
To me, it's retarded... forward pegs, no clearance, way too heavy etc...
It's like a truck on 2 wheels, no practicality and not my idea of a motorcycle.
But it's not about me, so no biggy...

One can't help to wonder though...
What about the market study on this?
The trend seems to be the cafe theme right now, despite that the US is mainly cruiser oriented.
I could see an instant winner if Guzzi came up with the Bellagio's mill in a V7 frame style (with the CARC of course) or going after the young guys with a liquid cooled sport bike, even.
This thing here, reminds me of the 109 Suzuki Boulevard, how many will buy it?

I'm so glad they came up with the Griso a few years back... :) :)

I am not the intended market for that bike and I will not be buying one.
But I think it is good looking for what it is. I never understood the Cali to begin with, so maybe I am missing some of the nuances of the previous version that others may get. But it seems like it is a nice looking cruiser that will hopefully sell well.
Would I like to see Guzzi come out with a new sport bike or even a proper cafe bike? Yes, but I am not holding my breath. Besides, between the wife and I we already own four so I don't think I can buy another without selling one. And I am not good at selling my bikes.

GuzziMoto said:
I never understood the Cali to begin with, so maybe I am missing some of the nuances of the previous version that others may get.

So maybe there's a reason it's called a Euro cruiser after all? :arrow:

Is it just me, or does the new Cali look like two separate designers were in charge, one with designing the front, the other the rear, and both forgot to look at what the other guy was doing until it was time to put the two halfs together?

Attachments

• horrid_cali.jpg
    horrid_cali.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,212
Greyo said:
Is it just me, or does the new Cali looks like two separate designers were in charge, one with designing the front, the other the rear, and both forgot to look at what the other guy was doing until it was time to put the two halfs together?

In one word, yes. :dry:

So, maybe we could start a betting contest on this:

Which design center was responsible for the front, and which for the rear?

I bet the front was designed in Mandello, the rear at the new Pasadena center...

And what if they actually were thinking to produce a series of extensions, including one with minibar and maybe a minipool? Just a thought of course :silly:

RJVB said:
And what if they actually were thinking to produce a series of extensions, including one with minibar and maybe a minipool? Just a thought of course :silly:
Good point... Guzzi is going modular!!!

I'm really a Ducati (read, sportbike) guy at heart (I do have a T3 cafe thing, though, that I really like), but since I've been commuting on the orphan EV that showed up on my doorstep one day, I can say that I sorta get the "relax-a-little-bit-there-dude-you-won't-get-a-trophy-for-getting-to-that-exit-first" thing. Also when changing lanes, I can turn my head clear around to see behind me with the more sit-up riding position of the EV than in the full race-tuck my Duc forces me into. It does go/stop/turn pretty well, too. And with the hard bags mounted, I can carry the earth. So, these bikes do make sense.

Now the 1400 - still looks like a Tonti frame. The tank is cool. The remote-reservoir rear shock is an interesting idea. The machined, cross-spoke wheels are brilliant. Haven't even seen that on a Harley before. The front of the bike, pretty good. The rear of the bike - 80's Suzuki Marauder comes to mind.

Having trouble picturing the person who will part with umpteen thousand to have one of these, though. Forgive me, but I said that about the Centauro when it came out, too (& I'm still wondering). Cheers.

I really enjoyed the Bassa as i had a black 99 and then a blue/silver 2000 model. I liked it but wanted it to be a little larger to handle 2 up riding better. I wanted more leg room as well. I installed the EV floor board sub frame on both my Bassa's because I like boards over pegs. My Bassa's ran perfectly but were well down on power IMHO. Especially after I bought a 98 Centauro. The 2000 Bassa immediately became a garage queen that very seldom was taken out.

With this new Caliifornia 1400, at first look, it appears to correct much of what took me off the Bassa. I ignore all the posts of it being too big or too heavy because I have yet to see any actual specs on this bike. From seeing the pictures with people on and around it, it doesn't look 'big' to me. But then I greatly enjoy my Valkyrie Interstate so 'big' and 'heavy' are relative terms anyway.

Styling wise, it seems like a natural evolution of the Bassa like IMHO the Griso is of the Centauro. Maybe even a further evolution of my old G5. I'm certainly anxious to actually see it, sit on it and test ride this new Cali.

YMMV,

Mark

downside I see is the weekly visit to the dealers to get yet another radiator
Opportunity here for aftermarket radiator screen in polished stainless steel or black.

Well it doesn't float my boat. I quite like a few of the styling details, but the riding position looks like its going to be appalling, and the power output is pretty por for something that looks like muscle cruiser.

Attachments

• Cali1400-Engine.jpg
    Cali1400-Engine.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Cali1400-RtRear.jpg
    Cali1400-RtRear.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Cali1400-Rear.jpg
    Cali1400-Rear.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Cali1400-Gauges.jpg
    Cali1400-Gauges.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Cali1400-Frnt.jpg
    Cali1400-Frnt.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Cali1400-LS.jpg
    Cali1400-LS.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Cali1400-Eng-Frame.jpg
    Cali1400-Eng-Frame.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,155
The proto layout looks in keeping with the tonti Cali; made for people with SHORT legs (28" inseam and less) The prototype handle bars were only stuck on to make it look cool for the pics. You'd need arms long enough for your hands to be at mid shin like other apes to ride it. Take a closer look at the latest photos and and you can see the longer handle bars. So they're working on it...

The only way to fit feet comfortably under guzzi jugs is to lower the seat, (did that) place the foot rest as far forward as possible (not far enough) and stretch the handle bars way back - bars wouldn't look so cool, but it'll accommodate more rider body types. I'll be sitting on one of these when it shows up at the local dealer. If they don't get the posture, leg and hand positions as good as the HD Road King then this model won't excel out of the niche market it's in today. The market MG has to capture is the HD riders that wave at other bikers on the road. I think I like the old days better when HD rider just ignored you! Wow, is that conditioning or what?

I'm sure MG can make a cruiser (is that right?) (I don't know what lazy boy bikes are called) better than any one else, just got to get the fit right. Lighter and better handling than others on the road today. As for the looks, MG has made some butt ugly bikes and some of the most beautiful bikes EVER - And guzzi lovers have bought them both! And those reading this are thinking of his beautiful bike and which model is the ugly duckling and the next guy is imagining just the opposite.

Todd, thanks for the pics!

What's the reason for the "doubled" head covers on the new engine?
Isn't the current 8V running already too hot?

Is it just me, or does it seem somewhat Runesque ?

Rune_RHS.jpg

031412middle-730x516.jpg

Back