• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2013 Cal 1400 8V words & pics

It wasn't until I saw a Griso in person and sat on one at a dealer that I realized I liked it. From the photos I thought it looked wierd/stretched out. I didn't like it from the photos.

Most of the roads around here I straight. Sometimes I get the idea that a "cruiser" bike might be nice for that.

I hope it is a success. I'll look at it in person.

Greyo said:
What's the reason for the "doubled" head covers on the new engine?
Isn't the current 8V running already too hot?

Purely cosmetic. The 1400 engine is twin plugged to combat surging caused Blythe super wide combustion chambers I'm guessing like the 1200 Doso it will use plug top coils and fire the outer plug up to about 3,500. Covers are here simply to clean up the appearance.

Guess is that this machine will be launched with considerable fanfare and much will be made of the roller tappets that are already listed for the 8V models but classed as 'Abolished'.contrary to what people will believe I am sure that their adoptions for one reason only, noise.

Why do images of the equally sucky Honda Valkary Rune keep jumping into my head when I look at that pic??? :roll:

When I showed this to my wife she said, "Did a chop shop weld two halves together from two different bikes?" Have to agree, there is a distinct vertical line down the middle. It seems to have lost the distinctive Guzzi look, but I wish them every success. However, I will be keeping my '95 Cali, bought this year and loving it. My LM2 was getting too painful to ride!

I love it except for that vertical line where the two halves meet. Hard to believe that wasn't designed out early on in the design meetings. But I sure am anxious to see it up close. For now, my 09 CalVin nicely works my Guzzi desires.

All the best,

Mark

Hmm, I had not seen this angle before. I kind of like it.
Maybe the bike will look much better in 3D than it does in pictures.

big_Guzzi_California_1400_05.jpg

Artist rending of a Nero version... not bad.

Attachments

• NeroCali1400.jpg
    NeroCali1400.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,721
Think bikes of 1100 cc being considered girl's bikes is a load of cack, bigger is not always better . Harley keep upping cylinder capacity decade by decade , and even with less restrictive pipes and alterations to fuelling they're still slower than an early seventies shovelhead.

MMMMM , nah.
It looks to me as if the artist had a blob of ink on his tee square as he pulled it down the drawing towards himself .
I just dont understand the square-ish edges at the mid point. Yuk. JMO.
The toast rack heads are square enough , but nah, not the join in the middle look !
Maybe there's an intended aftermarket panel opportunity here .
Wow , surely a bit of a radius here and there , or some nicely curved vent slots , but flat faces on a bike in 2013,,nah.
Supaflee

It's too late , we are fu***ed !

Piaggio is ruining the "Guzzi soul " producing plastic motorcycles....

Guzzi bikes were about a good frame, an exposed V twin , two wheels and a metal body, i think it will still be possible producing plastic-less bikes with a "modern" design and with new technology , keeping the old tradition alive.

New guzzis are leaning toward " Goldrake ", Mazinga or " star trek" design.
I never liked the brevas and grisos for the plastic added... too much for my taste.
This new California is completely covered by plastic.... and i wonder why ? what's up with those ugly muffler and those valve cover ? ( is not written moto guzzi on them anymore....??
The plastic tank ? WTF ??
The "el cheapo " brakes system ? they don't use Brembo serie oro anymore ?
what's next ? a radio and CD player ?
what's up with the head light ? they don't make them "round" anymore ??
what's the plastic cover over the CARC ?

I am sure they won't sell many of these cali , why ?
Price too high and design that can catch a teen age boy.... not an Adult , not me. ( BTW i am 36 )

Moto Guzzi has his own "trend " why try to get more customer making a so radical change ?
Old timer guzzi won't like it , and the others won't buy it either...
Honda goldwing guys will keep on buy them hondas
Harley guys will keep on buy them Harleys..

Anyway...the truth is that Piaggio Group won't make the Mandellos Eagle fly high anymore.... they want to sell Aprilias not Guzzis....they don't want guzzi become a competitor of aprilia...

Back in the 90's there was an American company who wanted to buy Moto Guzzi , they had a good plan and lots of money... they wanted to keep the Mandello Factory as Historic site , and move the production to Monza , next to the famous race track and use it to develop new bikes....
Well, the Italian Union did not like the idea to move the 64 employees from Mandello to Monza....and there were a lot of political crap involved as well.... so the "potential buyers " just flew away....
Then , Moto Guzzi lost the chance the fly high again....

Anyway, i don't really care i will keep on riding old guzzis and Hds..... they are more fun and better look... :D

ciao..

Why is it that bike enthusiasts - and particularly enthusiasts of Italian marques - are so resistant to change? Sure, it looks different, as all new bikes do, and there is always a period of acclimatisation, but would you rather they went down the jap route and just changed the colours of the same bike every other year? In ten years time you'll all be moaning about the next new design and bemoaning that it's lost the classic lines of the old Cali 1400...

The new Cali's not for me, I'm not into cruisers (but I think the new Cali looks pretty good in all honesty), but the market for big cruisers is getting bigger all the time and Moto Guzzi need to be in there. Then they can fund the new Stelvios and Grisos, and that's what I'm waiting for...Once the new 1400 Griso comes out they can put the old 1200 engine to good use in a V12 Cafe Classic, and that would be right up my street :woohoo:

Guzzi /Piaggio like all two wheeled manufacturers, are in business to sell products , and have had to try and broaden their customer base in order to keep going. Having been in the doldrums lately they have got to push the business forward or go under, it's simple. So , like it or not at least the Cali's a step in the right direction, some dyed in the wool purists might be upset by the use of modern materials, less character than older models etc, but they are going to have to get over it. If you don't like bikes with plastic parts , don't buy one and stick to riding what you've got, There's no going back .

The thing with Guzzi at the moment is build quality. I remember meeting a Guzzi dealer in a pub 20 years ago who said that he would not sell a bike to a friend cos there'd be warranty arguments and he'd run out of friends. Look now at the Griso, Stelvio, Bellagio, V7, and the build quality is so much improved it's almost hard to see how it got so bad in the first place.

This is where Guzzi is now, trying to lure back customers who would otherwise have been loyal to the marque. I had a T3 and a V50 years back, and absolutely loved them, but they fell to bits. I've always loved the way Guzzi make bikes, they suit me, but I've always plumped for the safer japanese option purely for a safer financial return, i.e. a bike I can sell on rather than scrap...

So while the Cali may not suit all tastes style-wise, the actual bike will be well-built and ready to cater to a large audience purely because it's as viable as all the other bikes on sale. And you just know that once the roadtests finally come, the big new Cali will still go round a corner with more aplomb than most of it's rivals.

Back