RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

2013 V7 running rich

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Don Quixote, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Just got it firing!

It pops on downshifts so obviously it runs rich. Is remapping the solution? Thanks

2. Wisconsin v7 Racer

Wisconsin v7 Racer Cruisin' Guzzisti

3. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

More likely lean with exhaust leak. As stated above, Todd remap will help.

4. Don Quixote

Thanks. I've been reading the threads here and scratch my head... Why? Because I cannot help but compare the pains offered by today's MG with the simple maintenance of older bikes that offered so much joy and performance. Case in point with the risk of comparing apples and oranges. I had many years ago an '87 Yamaha FJ 1200 with about 28,000 miles on it before selling it. Such a refined piece of machinery! Carbs? Never had to re-jet/adjust them. Yes it had a chain as opposed to a shaft drive but it was a simple task to clean it twice a year and took only a few minutes. That bike ran so smooth @20MPH in the 5th gear and could accelerate from there to highway speeds without a bit of hesitation without changing the gear. 30 years later we have fuel injected brand new MG bikes that need "adjustments" immediately after leaving the showroom... Is it the same scenario with the Japanese motorcycles? Or the BMW's...or Triumph's? Just wondering.

5. V7 Dreaming

V7 Dreaming Just got it firing!

I think it's about emission law that make new bike run poorly from show room and need to be adjusted to run fine like an old bike.

6. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

All info above is your answer. Curious as to why you think it would be rich for closed throttle popping? Terrible rumor that keeps coming up. As John says above, it’s a lean condition. V7 Mk I-II have had notorious issues with constantly loose header stud nuts and expiring gaskets.
    To touch on modern vs. older carb bikes, it is still the same that older bike with a “jet kit” could be made to run much better, beyond emission requirements as delivered.

7. Don Quixote

Duly noted. Lean condition it is.
    Pops? I kinda enjoy them ;)
    So I'll take a look at the header stud nuts then remapping this thing once it gets a bit warmer around here.