• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2014 Stelvio front suspension dive

ZClark73

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Hey all!

I picked up a 2014 Stelvio NTX earlier this week and my only real gripe with it beside the ECU map (Todd flash on its way) is the front suspension diving if I even think about the front brake. I’ve been reading through the forums a ton looking for I for on this, but haven’t been able to put my finger on solutions yet.

So, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to check maintenance or settings wise. If those don’t work any ideas on mods? New springs? I know Todd offers the Matris drop-in kits; do those stiffen up the front? Are the cheaper Ohlins still able to be acquired?

Thank you in advance! Loving being back on a Guzzi!

I’d pull the forks and have them inspected and serviced. Many have never been touched, and things do wear out. The bike is almost 10 years old. You’re also dealing with a long travel softer suspended bike than your 1400 was.
Cheaper Ohlins kit? That’s an oxymoron! Heh.
If you refer to the Andreani kit, it may be, but it’s labor intensive, and the ride is not good. It’s why I don’t sell them. ;)

Thanks for your help!
I just meant cheaper than the Matris! :D Sound like the Matris are the way to go in the future, though...
Welcome. Are you referring to the Andreani kit? I see I’m paying per word here. Ha ha.

Sorry! Yes, I was referring to the Andreani kit. The appeal was the price tag, but if the Matris are easier to install and better, that makes more sense.

Looking for a place to service the shocks first though. How long does the front suspension on these usually last?

When maintained and cared for properly, the life of the bike. However, bushings, seals, fork tube life and sealed cartridges can vary tremendously. Most of the fork kits we’ve sold were to people who told us the non-servicable internals were no longer riding/functioning properly. Pretty much what you’re saying… but these type of things are impossible to diagnose here.

People seem to not want listen to my experience more and more these days. I sell what is the most effective/efficient/best value, as you should well know. ;)

Gottcha!

I do know well; your stuff has always been the best! I’ll have them inspected and serviced per your recommendation. After that… some Matris upgrades may be in order… >:) haha

Gottcha!

I do know well; your stuff has always been the best! I’ll have them inspected and serviced per your recommendation. After that… some Matris upgrades may be in order… >:) haha
Why not just take it to Todd's shop and let then work their magic?

I have had good luck on other bikes with Traxxion.

The stock suspension is soft but remember it was meant to go down a mild dirt road as well.

We’re a Traxxion dealer. Fork kit cost is $1249. No better than Matris @$999. No hyperlinks off site for competing products. See paragraphs top of page.

Sorry Todd, didn't mean to do a hyperlink. Just had good luck with them.

Because I live out in Indiana (need to update my profile here), and the 31 hours ride is a bit prohibitive ;) :D

I definitely would if I were in the area!

ZClark -

I'm no technical wiz, but I've had my Stelvio (2009) forks apart twice. Once when I lowered the bike when I installed a Russell Day Long seat, to go along with the Matris rear suspension that was an inch lower than stock. The mod consisted of a shorter spring spacer, and a 105-rate versus the stock 95-rate spring.

The second time was when I realized that my seal-installation skills were not everything they could have been, and I developed a leaky seal about 20,000 miles after the first update.

I just mention it to say that taking a set of Stelvio forks apart is well within the skill range of a shade-tree mechanic who can follow the service manual and fabricate a special tool or two out of plastic and spare metal bits.

Lannis

ZClark -

I'm no technical wiz, but I've had my Stelvio (2009) forks apart twice. Once when I lowered the bike when I installed a Russell Day Long seat, to go along with the Matris rear suspension that was an inch lower than stock. The mod consisted of a shorter spring spacer, and a 105-rate versus the stock 95-rate spring.

The second time was when I realized that my seal-installation skills were not everything they could have been, and I developed a leaky seal about 20,000 miles after the first update.

I just mention it to say that taking a set of Stelvio forks apart is well within the skill range of a shade-tree mechanic who can follow the service manual and fabricate a special tool or two out of plastic and spare metal bits.

Lannis
Thanks for the info, Lannis! I may take these forks apart soon enough. I will ride with them for a while first to see if it's just a matter of getting used to a taller bike (my last two bikes were a Cali14 and Griso). But if I still feel the need to pull them apart, your post makes me feel more comfortable doing so.

-Zack

Thanks for the info, Lannis! I may take these forks apart soon enough. I will ride with them for a while first to see if it's just a matter of getting used to a taller bike (my last two bikes were a Cali14 and Griso). But if I still feel the need to pull them apart, your post makes me feel more comfortable doing so.
Never mentally simplify the job. There are several specialty tools needed, unless say a fork oil change... Especially if you don't have a space and tools/shop to allow it, like a lift or similar. Unless things have changed, and knowing you and your life schedule, I'd say you're setting yourself up for frustration, unneeded delay, and possible damage or worse.

Hey all!

I picked up a 2014 Stelvio NTX earlier this week and my only real gripe with it beside the ECU map (Todd flash on its way) is the front suspension diving if I even think about the front brake. I’ve been reading through the forums a ton looking for I for on this, but haven’t been able to put my finger on solutions yet.

So, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what to check maintenance or settings wise. If those don’t work any ideas on mods? New springs? I know Todd offers the Matris drop-in kits; do those stiffen up the front? Are the cheaper Ohlins still able to be acquired?

Thank you in advance! Loving being back on a Guzzi!

Before you have any potentially unnecessary work done on your front suspension, check your current preload/rebound/damping settings and adjust them as needed. It is possible that the prior owner was not tall and/or heavy or simply liked a plush ride.

When I bought my 2013 Stelvio three years ago, I had the same issue. A service manual is easily located online. I would have posted a link, but I am not sure if Todd allows that. It takes 5 minutes of your time to look up all relevant steps and 5 minutes of your time to make all necessary adjustments. You'll need a 22 mm socket with a 12" extention and a narrow flat screwdriver tool wise. The monoshock is a piece of cake, too.

Back