RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

2017 Moto Guzzi V7III Stone Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by dududuckling, Feb 8, 2019.

1. dududuckling

dududuckling Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi all,

I'm back with another problem - Check Engine Light on the speedometer came on this morning when it was cold and damp. I park my bike outside and have to wipe the mist off the bike every morning. Sometime it gets drenched in the rain too.

The bike has 2500 miles, about one-year of ownership to be exact. It still idles and rides fine, no loss of power, etc. I have unplugged the battery for 5 minutes, which reset everything except the CEL.

I made some calls and was told only Guzzi dealer has the tool to read the CEL code and the nearest dealer is 90 minutes away in Orange County, CA. I browsed through the forum and condensation on the oxygen sensor seems to be the most common issue.

I'm thinking of replacing the oxygen sensor and see if the CEL goes away. I'm thinking of buying one sensor, plug it to one side and see if the CEL goes away. If not, try the other side. I haven't come across both sensors fail at the same time. Otherwise, it is time for a trip to the dealer. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Poppe likes this.
  2. dududuckling

And another thought I'd like to add... I've been wanting to do Todd's GTR-X ECU remap and SS 2-2 exhaust. I'm thinking if this is a sign to do the upgrade. >:)

Poppe likes this.
  3. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yes, it's a sign. Go open loop, shut them off. Don't spend $ on sensors first. You'll be glad you did.

Poppe likes this.
  4. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

Why not take it to the dealer and have them read the code before you start throwing time and
    $$$ at it?

Paul

Poppe likes this.
  5. dududuckling

Because the dealer is 1.5-2.5 hours away from where I live depending on traffic. And my one-year warranty is up soon.

6. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

But not yet. Make the trip and make them fix it.

roadscum and kiwi dave like this.
  7. vagrant

vagrant Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

It's 2 Years

dududuckling and Kubbie like this.
  8. Kubbie

Kubbie Tuned and Synch'ed

Forgot that part. Still has another year left... take it right to them!

dududuckling likes this.
  9. roadscum

roadscum Cruisin' Guzzisti

A 2.0 hour ride is just a short spin round the block.
    Most of us own motorcycles because we enjoy riding them …… even if it's only to the dealership for the warranty work we're entitled to. But hey, if you'd rather spend your time and you $$ hunting for a solution on your own that's OK with me.

Paul

dududuckling likes this.
  10. dududuckling

I understand but I work 3 jobs, 7 days a week. I love riding, but it has come down between work vs riding bike vs sleep. I don't have that much free time to go riding around the block, let alone taking time off work to fix the bike two hours away. For everything else, I bring it to a Guzzi guy (he is not a dealer, so can't scan the code) in town where the bike got fixed while I'm at work. When I bought this bike, it's simply as a tool for enjoyment during my commute to and from work and around town, the only time I get to relax and have fun for a bit.

I unplugged/replugged the battery on Friday and everything cleared away, except the CEL. I rode around town with the CEL on for a while. Then I decided to reset the digital clock again to the correct time and the CEL went away for good. It's been turned off ever since.

I try not to throw random parts to fix the CEL and would like to know what caused it. So I have decided to purchase an ECU reflash tool from Todd. While at it, I am going reflash with Todd's map, do the evap removal and SAS-Air-Block off, while being able to read the code if the CEL comes back on. Now I'm thinking about the GP megs. :)

V700Steve likes this.
  11. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Glad to hear it's sorted out.