Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - AND PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum. As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. Also be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. We do our best to get things out as quickly as possible, and we also aren't in control of things like customs & weather delays, etc. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Orders are currently being shipped once or twice a week. You can always sign into the online Store system to check the status. Please refrain if at all possible about emailing for an update; If you must ask for order info, please reply on the actual order email. You will get shipping info when it goes out via our online Store system (check your Spam folder), and if you want to cancel your order, please notify us direct email (do not post or use the Forum) and allow 7-10 business days for a reply BEFORE disputing the charge. We don't want your money if we can't deliver. Special order items are subject to a 15-20% cancellation fee. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our GTMotoCycles.com custom BUILDS tab above.

2017 V7 III Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by AbnMike, Aug 1, 2017.

1. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

You are running my flash already, no? If so, don't waste your money on replacing them.

2. BadAndy

BadAndy Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Todd, yes I am already a customer. Ordered some bar end mirrors from you this week.

I may have to take that 2>1 polished exhaust off your hands too.... a few months of savings and we will be in touch. I think it will be perfect on my bike.

GT-Rx® and dududuckling like this.
  3. Roose

Roose Tuned and Synch'ed

Love the brushed 2>1.....most GP fans say it has an old school GP sound.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  4. T.H

T.H Just got it firing!

Guzzi V7 III 2017, 1800 miles, was in the mountains early on humid day as well, came down, on one of the lights on way home, after about 70 miles, I was in neutral and when I shifted to first, the engine light came on, stopped check oil, all was good, bike seemed 100% normal, rode it home for another 20 miles, same day at night started the bike, the engine light was still on, two days later in the dry garage, I started, no engine light, I did about 30 miles no engine light, will ride again tomorrow and update if the problem comes back, but from what I read maybe it is the humidity ? The bike runs 100% normal

5. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

at 13,000 miles now and knock on wood it hasn't returned.

Mark Pintar likes this.
  6. T.H

T.H Just got it firing!

Mine came up again today, coming off a mountain after again, about 70 miles, engine light on again, oil fine, bike 100% normal, not humid today, maybe the change in elevation from 8000 feet? who knows... will let it sit in the garage for couple of days and see if it gone, will call dealer anyway to see what they say... will update in few days

Poppe likes this.
  7. grame

grame Tuned and Synch'ed

Been repeatedly seeing the dealer about this. Their mechanic was on the phone for hours with the Guzzi tech trying to resolve this issue. In the end, they sent the data to Mandello. Waiting to hear back. Light came on for a few days and then went off again a few days later. It's pretty maddening this can't be fixed.

8. vagrant

vagrant High Miler GT Contributor

I'd disconnect the battery over night like I did on mine. might even be smart to when disconnected to turn on the key and hit the brake lever to drain anything stored in the computer.

9. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The other approach is to disconnect the battery, and short the positive and negative cables together overnight.

Dealing with supernatural reasoning here.

10. dududuckling

dududuckling Cruisin' Guzzisti

My first two CEL came before I had Todd’s FT. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, started it and the CEL was still there. I continued to start/stop and rode around, and by the fourth time, the CEL went away for a couple of months before coming back.

I believe its condensation in the O2 sensor. Performance was not affected; mine happened in the morning when it was cold and misty.

After I had Todd’s FT, the third CEL, I could read and clear the code - Lambda sensor, short to positive, short to negative/circuit etc like my post above.

11. T.H

T.H Just got it firing!

So basically no one at the dealership or Guzzi knows why the light comes on and off ? Nothing is wrong with the bike itself I assume in your case as well / Bike rides normal ?

12. grame

grame Tuned and Synch'ed

It seems so. They've already replaced one sensor that was faulty. They also replaced both exhaust headers on account of the paint fading away. I worry that I have a lemon.

They had it for a day. Their feedback:

Our technical team spent some considerable time in contact with the dealership on Friday regarding the issues with your V7. Firstly, it is important to note that no running error was found and the vehicle appeared to be running normally. There was a stored Lambda sensor fault on the ECU indicating some out of scale reading. Further examination revealed some brown residue in the inlet manifolds which may indicate that the bike has suffered some fuel contamination, which could lead to this issue. To this end, we have requested the data from the bike be sent for analysis by the factory.

The light seems to come on when it's left out on a hot day. Then is off a few days later when I start it up. It also won't idle well at start-up on hot days. It appears to ride normal - although the bike seems to throw up a LOT more heat than the V9 Roamer I had before. Which is a bit of a drag. Other than this, it seems to run normally.

13. Mayakovski

Mayakovski Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I have to say that my V7 III has never not stated perfectly regardless of the temperature, and even on hot days I barely notice any heat from the motor. Your's does not sound healthy to me.

14. grame

grame Tuned and Synch'ed

It's interesting that you say this - I haven't much experience of other V7iii's. But on hot days in city riding, the heat coming up from the engine is quite intense and noticeable more than the Roamer. I assumed any issue with heat would show up in the testing and analysis the dealer did with the Guzzi tech team.

15. T.H

T.H Just got it firing!

Jordan Yang likes this.
  16. grame

grame Tuned and Synch'ed

Well for a brand new bike in 2018, it's not really good enough.

17. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Careful. Whine too much, and we'll end up with water cooling. :lipssealed:

dududuckling likes this.
  18. Satch

Satch Just got it firing!

I've had the CEL come on twice now on my 2017 V7 iii Special. I solved it the first time by removing the negative battery cable for about an hour as suggested here. It just happened to me again. In both cases the light came on at about the same location. It was shortly after coming down the same canyon after going through an area where there's stream water crossing the road. The common elements seem to be going through a little water at altitude, then it throws the code on the decent. Maybe just coincidence? I'll try the battery trick again. I'm starting to think that I may need to install some kind of switch so I don't have to physically remove the cable every time!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  19. T.H

T.H Just got it firing!

Mine came on again, also coming off altitude, after 70 mile ride, it was two weeks ago, I rode the bike two more times since then and light still on, this morning I went to the same mountain, started the bike and CEL was off, I came off the mountain, and in the valley it came on again, just before reaching home, mine is also 2017 V7 III, (stone not special) . I called my dealer last week, asking if I should come and reset the code, he suggested wait till weather cools down, he thinks it is the difference in temperature between 8000 to 10000 elevation and the valley. Curious to find out if battery disconnect worked again or not ? In total it happened to me 4 times, all coming off the same mountain, and in the past three cases light just disappeared after some time in the garage, lets see what happens this time, the dealer said it is known problem and there is really no solution to it.

20. Satch

Satch Just got it firing!

I disconnected the battery overnight but the light stayed on. I rode for a few miles and stopped for fuel. After filling up...the light went off! Now I have no idea what's going on. I feel like the ghost in the machine is just messing with me.