RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest, Happy 2019! Note all of our products and custom bike builds are now on our sister site; GTMotoCycles.com. You may need a new username and password to get into the new GTM Store system - pending and past order info is available there. NOTE: We are not Amazon, we are a tiny one man operation. Thanks for your patience on orders. GuzziTech is now back to our origins; Enjoy the Guzzi Community Forum and Resources here. There is zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to other Forums or competing products. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free - be courteous. For those who are new here, the owner of this site (Todd - GT-Rx®) has been immersed in Guzzis since 1999. He's raced and wrenched for two-thirds of his life, both Pro dirt-track and road-race, and contributed to Cycle World Magazine from 2000 until 2007. He began Guzzi dyno performance modifying and fuel tuning in 2001, and has been wrenching them full time since 2007. His GT MotoCycles workshop has been open for ~4 years in Orange, CA. We do not have a phone number for this site or GTM, we're online only... do not ask us to call you. Click on the Service tab above for more info or to book an appointment -- it is not a retail shop to visit. If you're in L.A., you can come sample our work via our rental fleet - click the image link above. In a few short years GuzziTech.com will hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade (see Site Support section below) or the Donate tab above, which unlocks all of the content here along with the Classifieds, Ask the Wrench sections and our Seasonal discount notices. Thank you for all of the continued support and contributions.

2017 V7III Stone won't start

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by stevenmara, Feb 9, 2019.

1. stevenmara

stevenmara Just got it firing!

Hey guys,
    So I usually ride my bike almost every day, it has around 3400 miles on it. Don't think I rode it the last day or two.

Went to start it today, and it tried to fire up, but then just started clicking. Now all it will do is click.
    Tried to bump start it too, and got nothing.

Any ideas?

2. john zibell

john zibell Moderator Staff Member GT Famiglia

Replace the battery. That is solenoid click caused by low current available. Also doing the starter relay mod may help in the future.

stevenmara likes this.
  3. stevenmara

Thank you!!

I jump started it with a battery pack.

Any particular battery you recommend? And is it strange for the battery to die after only owning the bike for a year?

Is this the starter relay mod?
    https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/modern-no-start-issue-solution.4908/
    And what is the point of the mod? (Sorry I'm pretty clueless)

4. john zibell

For the battery, just get one the same size, amperage and polarity. Todd has some pretty good batteries in the store that should out last any lead acid battery. If your battery wasn't properly prepared, then failing at a year of service wouldn't be a surprise. If you go with a lead acid battery, be sure it is activated properly. That is acid installed, then allowed to sit for at least 3 hours before it is charged.

The starter relay modification provides sufficient voltage to engage the solenoid. You have that, but the battery was to weak to hold it in. The link you have is the one for the starter mod. If you can get the harness from MPH it makes it easier.

Bill Hagan and stevenmara like this.
  5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

I don't think the feed for the starter is supplied via the ignition switch. It appears to be feed directly by a fuse. (Fuse C).

6. john zibell

You are correct Dave, the relay mod isn't needed on the V7III. I had not looked at that schematic before now. Finally Guzzi stopped putting too much through the ignition switch.

7. dududuckling

dududuckling Tuned and Synch'ed

That’s the battery for sure. I had the same problem. Mine died after 9 months of ownership, about 2000 miles. I replaced it with the Antigravity ATX12-HD.

stevenmara likes this.
  8. stevenmara

Cool, how long has the Antigravity lasted you?

9. dududuckling

dududuckling Tuned and Synch'ed

One month in so far... it has a smart energy management whereby if the voltage gets too low because of parasitic drain, etc, your battery goes to sleep so you have enough juice for 1-3 good cranks in the morning. I got mine from Todd.

stevenmara likes this.
  10. PA Sand

PA Sand Tuned and Synch'ed

Also try to charge it, battery is not necessarily doomed. My 2017 V7II Stornello got exactly like that during first winter. I just charged it (w a good charger) and works fine since then. I'll probably charge it before spring start up just for the sake of it. Stock battery.

dududuckling and stevenmara like this.
  11. stevenmara

Ok I'll try that too, thanks