• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

28K Miles on 2016 Audace?

Chris von Stein

Just got it firing!
Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to possibly get a 2016 Audace with 28k miles. Is that considered a lot? 4k per year seems a lot to me, must have been a daily rider. Thanks,

It's a ton. Most people say things like "that's a 100k mile bike", but what they actually mean is "the engine will last 100k before needing a rebuild".

I've owned a number of metric bikes that commonly go 60 - 100k miles with the right maintenance. But at 28k miles, get ready to start replacing a ton of small - and not so inexpensive - parts. Even my vtx1800 started needing a decent amount of cash and work put into it between 30k - 40k miles.

Chris,

I vehemently disagree with The New New. So would most of the other mechanics here.

I am a retired mechanic and I currently own 5 Moto Guzzi motorcycles and 4 others.

A Moto Guzzi with 28k miles is truly nothing of concern so long as regular maintenance and oil changes were performed.

There are many members here with very very high mileage motorcycles. Many well over 100,000 virtually trouble free miles.

Regular maintenance, tuning and routine oil changes are all that are required on Moto Guzzi motorcycles. The worst thing you can do to a Guzzi or earlier 1150 BMW for that matter, is to just let them sit. Seals get dry and brittle and the motorcycles just do not do well not being used.

Don’t believe me, look at Chris Jessop and his wife here! Both have in excess of 150,000 miles each I think now.

As I said, regular routine maintenance is all that it takes.

I’ve said it many many times.

“Oil is cheap. Engines and transmissions are expensive.”

Also Todd (GTM) the owner here had over 200,000 miles on his Jackal.

Last edited:
I had a 1400 California. same running gear and at 25,000 miles the motor felt like it was just broken in. It ran better at 45,000 miles when I sold it than it did at 10,000 miles. 28,000 miles is nothing as long as it’s had regular maintenance as Scott has said.

How do you know when you need valve adjustments?
Now... Unless you have real evidence that they have been recently done by you or someone you trust to do the job correctly. Otherwise, it's safe to assume they've never been done. Ever. Noise or little noise are red flags.

And I'm curious about the time suggested above for an alternator belt replacement . It took me way longer (1st time, but I'm
kinda experienced in motorcycle tinkering) . I have however heard that some actually cut the cover in half and save many hours.
But those things last an awful long time . And the valves (on mine) in ~20K kilometers have only varied around .002" , definitely
not a dangerous variation , as mentioned above, oils and tires are about it .

And the valves (on mine) in ~20K kilometers have only varied around .002" , definitely
not a dangerous variation
Please do NOT make light of this.... Especially if they've never been properly set. I see it all the time in my shop. People pretend/think they were done, even when paid for at a dealer when they were not. We have a MGX in the shop with 12k miles that has burned exhaust valves (dealer serviced only).

Just read your reply "GTM" ! That's one heck of a low mileage to have already caused that much damage . An unfortunate
statement on dealership service departments . Peter

I bought my 2016 Audace in Oct 2021 with 4000 miles and today it has 25k. I agree that it runs better now. All services done except the valve adjustment which I'm doing this weekend.

Hi there, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking to possibly get a 2016 Audace with 28k miles. Is that considered a lot? 4k per year seems a lot to me, must have been a daily rider. Thanks,
On our Guzzi page in Oz someone just clocked 100,000kms which annoyed me because I'm only on 97,000 (a bit over 10k a year, being retired helps) >:), 28k is only just run in as long as it has been properly looked after

I'd be more worried about a low mileage bike then higher miles. When I sold by 10 year old Tiger 800 it had 98,000km on it. Any trip on it and everything was up to temperature and got a good work out. Low mileage bikes / cars give me the hibby gebbies

Back