• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2nd-3rd clunk..

DecD

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hi All,

I find it virtualy impossible to get a quiet change when going from 2nd to 3rd on my Stelvio, no matter how i do it it always results in a clunk, which drives me mad around town. All other changes are fine, except neutral to first at standstill, which is pretty harsh. I am not sure if the clunk is from the box or some other part of the driveline. There was something about this on the old forum, but as that is gone, does anyone have any suggestions?

Nothing flimsy sounding about it is there?:p
My Griso quieted down A Lot after a few thousand miles. Running in has smoothed out a lot of noises and "snatchyness". I've also noticed that shifting at a higher rev makes a notable difference in smoothness (compared to my Honda)
I know others have devised ways to smooth out shifting into first... never been a problem with mine however. I seem to remember RJVB had good advice on that.

Good luck sorting it out. When in doubt... ride more:)

Pre-loading the shift lever reduces the "clunk". Put pressure on the lever before you disengage the clutch and the shifts will be smoother. In addition, do not pull the clutch all the way in when shifting (except first at a stop). The idea with the clutch is "just enough". Also with time, the 6 speed transmissions get better. And yes, this was covered quite well on the old forum.

A 6 speed gear box clunk? You're kidding, right? Believe me, until you've ridden an old Tonti Guzzi 5-speed, you don't know what clunk is. Compared to the monumental clunk in my '78 & '91 Guzzi 5-speeds, esp going in to 1st, the 6 speed in my Norge is, well-like butter. Or, as stated in a 6/07 Motorcycle Consumer News review of the Norge, "Their [meaning Guzzi's] transmissions have gone from being the worst I'd ever used [his opinion, not mine] to among the very best you can buy."

Actually, as noisy as they are, when properly shimmed (thank you, Sean Fader) & worn in, in my opinion the old 5 speeds work well enough. It's just noise-so what?

DecD: Have you tried adjusting your throttle cables? On my B11, properly adjusting the throttle cables makes a big difference on the clunking. Also, check your shifter lever and ensure it is tight on the spline.

Graham in NZ posted a nice procedure on the old board for adjusting the throttle cables. Maybe someone has a copy. If not, here is how I (Thanks, Graham) adjust my cables:

-Completely loosen both throttle cable adjustments
-Remove all slack from the pull to open
-Start the engine and let it warm up, turn the handlebars to full left and right to ensure your motor doesn't rev. If the motor revs, slacken the adjustment slightly and turn the handlebars again. Repeat if necessary.
-turn off the engine
-Remove as much of the perceptible slack from the push to close. You can test this by firmly holding the throttle at close and pulling on the cable to see if it moves in its slot
-start the engine and turn the handlebars to full left and right to ensure your motor doesn't rev. If the motor revs, slacken the adjustment slightly and turn the handlebars again. Repeat if necessary.

I'm sure the old bikes are worse, but my Griso can clunk loud enough to make a Harley blush. It's a weird thing though because it can be loud but you don't really feel it through the driveline. And it's a shame because the V11 gearbox was pretty slick. This is a step backwards to me. But if that's the worst problem I have with my Griso I'll be happy.

Thank you all or your ideas, i do preload the shifter and have adjusted the throttle cables. I am intrigued why it only appears in the 2nd-3rd shift, I would be worried except somebody on the previous forum detailed the reason, damned if i can remember though. there was also some question of the 8v drivline having a different design, with cush drives/shock absorber removed, and some speculation of a fix relating to a modified bush for the final drive. sorry for being so vague, naybe one of you has a better memory...

I think the driveline in all the late bikes is the same, with no cush drive in the CARC unit. However, I thought that the Stelvio did have the later metalastic bush on the end of the torque arm, which the other models lack. So the Stelvio should be the quieter of all the late models.
Metalastic bush, Guzzi part no. 883045.
DSCF4267.jpg

could i tell visually if it had it? is that the metalastic bush on the right hand side in the pic, and the old one in the torque arm? is the bush at the carc or the engine end?

Brian UK wrote:
I think the driveline in all the late bikes is the same, with no cush drive in the CARC unit.

Not so. The 8V gearboxes no longer have the face cam shock absorber on the input shaft, the cush is incorporated in the new single plate clutch.

I dunno about the Stelvio but my 8V Griso has got progressively better over the first 10,000Kms. Sure its still a bit clunky in walking speed traffic but otherwise its pretty good. TB ballance, throttle cable adjustment and overall tune make a big difference too.

Pete

Hi Declan

I know these Guzzi's are a little strange after Jananese ownership.
But isn't that really why we love them:)

They Bimble and bumble, clunk and clank.
They even rattle and Bang:laugh:
As for electrical gremlins:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Don't even go there!

What I have done with mileage(4500miles) is to learn to live and love a bike with so much character.
I believe that you should ride it like the wind and get as much value from your warrenty as possible:)

Ps. All shaftys seam to be the same: Bm's, Fj's and Rockets. CLUNK ;)

Back