• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2nd Stelvio Playing Up

loftyjohn

Cruisin' Guzzisti
Hi Gang

As you remember my first Stelvio was a Friday afternoon Luigi Bike:(
My New one is playing it up now.
While in Spain I had to nip up the tappets on the left pot(3400mile)
After returning and anthother 400mile the top end was rattling again, took the bike back to Speedaway for an overhaul.
Although they could hear a rattle at 2800rpm they said cannot find much wrong, all within tolerance.

Anyway after 4 days stripping an measuring they rang me to say the rings were worn and the barrel liner had worn irregular.
The barrel had worn like an hour glass, and there was ware on the rockers.

All has been replaced: New Barrel, piston ,rings and top end rocker assembly:)

MG said they have never had this before:laugh: just my luck

Been a run out today, 80 miles all seems ok but the bike in general is quite noisy on the top end.
I have been told all Guzzi s are like it?

Loftyjohn

John, major bummer... thanks for being our R&D tester. :S

I've only heard of a few major failures, including Bill Hagan's oil pump on his Norge.

Please do keep us posted.

At least you are getting it repaired under warranty ;) I know how frustrating it can be though (not with my Stelvio but with other models I have)

Lets hope that the work has solved the problem...

[Been a run out today, 80 miles all seems ok but the bike in general is quite noisy on the top end.
I have been told all Guzzi s are like it?

Loftyjohn[/quote]
Did you notice the oil consumption going up as it got noisier?
How do you tell the difference between the 'rattle' and the normal 'noisy'. mine is like a bag of bolts when warm...

Hi Gang

The bike has never really used oil.
I check it quite regularly.
You pull up when the engine is hot, dip it and you think bloody hell the oil is low.
Leave it for about 3 or 4mins check it again and the dip stick shows normal.
I even bought some 4t 10/60 oil just in case!

loftyjohn

Hi guys, just got home from my Bristol trip 158 miles each way, the last 135 miles were soooooo cheap as I used no petrol at all. The nice man from SOS motorcycle recovery, Glous. picked me up at Michael Wood services on the M5 and took us both all the way home.
"There's a very loud rattle from the left cylinder". I said to the nice lady from Carole Nash ins.
"I'll send some one to fix it", she said.
"Er no lady this cant be fixed by the road side".
Lol
Sounds pretty nasty...... more than valve clearances......more like small end rattle.
Just reading loftyjohn's story of hour glassl bores, a symptom of small end siezure.
Also starter sort of struggles when trying to start it, didn't do that before either.
Into the dealer tomorrow, luckily I am in Belfast this week and Sweden next week so dont need the bikes for work. Notice the word bikes, yes he's also still got my Pan Euro, waiting for a spragg clutch for the alternator from Honda. Honda price for a new alternator £850.
Good fun biking eh ????????????????????????

Hi there all, am new to forum, but have a story for you. Picked up brand new Stelvio on Monday 27th Oct 2008. Handed it back Friday 31st 2008 and rejected it. Massive clacking or knocking coming from engine mainly from left side, I have tested 3 Stelvios and a Griso 8 valve and they all had the engine noise expected from that design and configuration, but the one I bought was terrible, so acted quick, I will wait and seen what the dealer has to say early this week coming. Trouble is I am hearing of more and more problems with the Stelvio. Here is another from a reliable source, apparently there has been cam failures within 100 miles. I am not sure if I even want a replacement bike as I am begining to feel there are a lot more problems to fruit from this model. I have had 3 Guzzis now and I really want to love them but they are making it very hard for me.
I will keep you posted as to the events as they unfold, but for now I am totally pissed off with no bike and no money.

Cheers for now
Nigel

Hey Loftyjohn, you are not having a very good time of it with Stelvios bit like myself. What was wrong with your first one I would be interested to know, as it looks like bloody Luigi built mine late on a friday afternoon as well. How quick was your first bike replaced? As you can imagine I am in limbo-land as I have rejected my machine on Friday 31 Oct 2008 (read about it above) so any info would be of help.

cheers
Nigel

There was this rumour that the new engines are built at the Aprilia facility in Noale. If true, that bodes little good for any other services to be transplanted there...!

To fuel suspicions :silly:, the Stelvio is a direct competitor to the Aprilia Caponord, whereas the Griso probable doesn't have a direct Aprilia competitor ... how many of these kind of tales of woe where there again concerning the Griso 8V? :silly:

Just spoke with John Carr, my Guzzi dealer. All my cam shafts have worn through the hardness layer. Right side was apparently worse than left side.
Left; exhaust lobes missing
Right; ehaust and inlet lobes all shot.
He said he'd not seen anything like it before, 3mm valve clearance !!!!!!
To me it's a new engine job. All the metal from the cams has been going round the rest of the engine so any future bottom end prob will be down to this .
Anyway he's got all the bits on order and liuckily I dont need the bikes for the next 2 weeks, (Still no parts arrived for the Pan, from Honda)

Apparently this has happened a couple of times too, Cam hardness, the engine had been getting a little louder over the last 4-6 weeks , got 9750 miles on it, serviced at 600 miles, 6500 miles and an oil change at 3800 miles. I put it down to breaking in. Felt good and raunchy. Even last night before I decided to stop and call the breakdown services it was performing lke a real racer, no loss of power.

Remember though, this engine has sold around 500 units, Stelvio, Norge and Griso. There seems to be a batch of bad cams floating about.

Hi Gang

I was so please when I read Gary's bike was well on the way to covering 10,000 miles:)
Then I read noisy top end:(
The fact that the bike can still play up after covering so many miles just pissed me off:eek:hmy:
There is a fault line begining to develop here, noisy Tappets, worn followers and now cams.
My first bike it was the followers, I am convinced the new one still has top end issues:(
I do not believe the piston was slapping at all, the small end were perfect it was top end tappet noise!
I have done a furthur 200 miles since a reset of the tappets and the rattle at 2800 revs is begining to develop again:(
I have decided to ride it till it breaks this time, no taking it back just ride it and ride it.

Someone said they had rejected theirs and what to do?
I love my Stelvio to bits but if I could have my money back and start fresh would I have a 3rd Stelvio:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NO NO NO.

Geat looking bike super comfy and when running well a super ride.
But no will will not be buying another MG:(

Loftyjohn

Hi All,

Do you find it is quiet when cold, but starts clacking as it warms?

Hi all,

Just got back from dealers and they have had the Guzzi Tech guy around, and he did not say much, but have done a deal on the demonstrator, as a replacement for the one I rejected, that has not covered many miles but does not clank and knock like the one I rejected. However there is still quite a bit of top end noise so I am now thinking how long will this one last, only time will tell, but if this one fails then I am seriously considering jumping the Guzzi ship. But for now I have one that runs ok, if a little noisy.

To answer your question about clacking, the one I rejected, yes on cold start up it is quiet, but as she warms after about 2 minutes on idle then the clacking became apparent. They still do not know what was wrong with mine, they have checked the cams etc and all seem to be ok, they were considering piston slap. but this would go once engine warm so I do not agree with that. they have yet to fully strip it down so I will not know for sure for a while. But even now I have done the deal on the demonstrator I do not feel confident that this is a life time machine ! I must now put some miles on it to see if she hangs together. I will keep you all posted on my progress. Fair play to my dealer for the swift decision on a replacement deal.

Cheers Nigel

Thanks Nigel, if gary can confirm his was quiet when cold, I'd go with faulty cams all round. I hope they give you the full explaination, rather than hope you go away with the new bike. Are all the bikes with this symptom UK spec?

On this. There was a problem with cam nuts or dummy shaft nut, (Can't remember which.) that applied to some early Grisos and Stelvios but one would of expected all of those to hav beendealt with ages ago???

On 'Top end noises' the valves on mine make exactly the same noise as the valves on my Aprilia Mana which ois unsurprising as I reckon they may well be the same parts or very, very similar. All they do is make a very light 'Ticking' until the engine is good and hot. I DID though adjust them twice in the first 5,000Kms as they were extremely loose ex-factory but then tightened up appreciably prior to first service at 800Kms. Because of this I checked them again at about 5,000 and found they had opened up a tiny amount but not enough for me to worry about.

The engine DOES rattle a lot. IMHO most of the racket is coming from the gear train to the dummy shaft and there may be a bit of clonking from the gearbox as the box no longer has a cush drive, although this shouldn't really effect idle noise.

I AM wondering if propper servicing has been carried out? As I said, when I got my 8V I checked the valves before I ran it and they were loose so I tightened 'em but then the closed up. If the valves are being 'Checked' simply by listening to them or the covers are being removed and the 'Checking' simply consists of feeling the rockers to see if there is any movement It wouldn't surprise me if the cam and follower wear wasn't related to the clearances closing up as the motor settles in and then the followers ening up riding the cam which will kill any cam pretty quickly.

Very disappointing for you, I'm sorry. Perhaps though it might be an idea to check the valve clearances yourselves after the '1st Service' just to see if they are set correctly?

Pete

Thanks Pete- there was a step by step guide on the old forum on how to do this, but it is lost..would somebody repost it please? What/where is this dummy shaft?

Sorry? Can you be more explicit. Do you need instructions on how to check the valve clearances? or do you need to know how to check the nut on the dummy shaft?

The dummy shaft itself is a hangover from the earlier pushrod motors. It sits above the crank in the valley of the 'V'. On the pushrod motors it used to be the camshaft but on the Hi-Cams it simply acts as an intermediary to transfer drive to the camshafts in each head. On the earlier Hi-Cams it was done by means of belts at the front of the motor, on the new Hi-Cams it is via chains running up the back if the cylinders.

Pete

The loose nut was 'the nut retaining the crankshaft timing gear which works itself loose leading to a displacement of timing gear and sprocket. This may cause the engine lubrication system to malfunction.'

The nut works itself loose due to the washer placed between nut and gear. The problem is
solved by replacing the current washer with a taper washer. Surely the technicians working on the faulty cam bikes would know about this and check for it?

Affected Stelvios were in the VIN range ZGULZ000#7M111117 to ZGULZ000#8M111315

I feel for you guys, it does not sound good, or guzzi like. I am used to guzzi fuel line in the tank problems, and the norge headlight sleeving issue, but in all my guzzi's, including 72 eldo, 02 Lemans, 02 Cal SS, 06 Breva11, 07 Griso, other than the minor setup issues you expect to take care of the first hour you get your guzzi, they have been absolutely dead reliable, with no issues, no failures, no nothing other than me tossin em down every now and then.... My entire experience with guzzi was that you gave em the once over, sorted the known bits and rode the piss out of em for years without issue.... Hope this is not a continuing trend

Back